Ok to put lens cap on filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waderbreak

Feb 2, 2009
Hi all

I just got into photography. Bought myself a 40D and 17-55 f2.8 Canon 2nd hand.

I also bought a B+W UV filter and it looks great. I'm just curious, for the 40D users, will putting on the lens cap on top of the filter scratch the edge of the filter glass? Or it should fit on top just nicely?

If it does scratch, wold it be better to leave the filter on and not put the lens cap at all? (In all circumstances like when you're shooting or not shooting)

Hope i don't sound too confusing.

Many thanks. Help appreciated.

I'm not a 40D user but I do put the lens cap over the filter when my cam is not in use.
If this question is for 40D users only, perhaps you would like to put it in the Canon sub forum instead.

Cheers

You should not handle the lens cap so roughly, such that your filter gets scratched.

In any case, when you attach the lens cap, there should still be a space between the cap and the filter. In other words, the filter should not be scratched at all.

If the cap does scratch your filter, then leave the filter on, and don't cap. B+W is a good and durable filter ;)

I have yet to see any filter so shallow until the lens cap will touch the surface. Anyway the filter is easier to clean than the front element and sometimes when i put a hood on I'll leave the cap off so i can whip the camera out from bag and just start shooting.

If they have provided front threads , then it should not.

But there are some makers who do makes slim filters without front threads. But in any case the cap will not even fit.

Ryan

No... it will not scratch the glass... dun worry...

Hi all

I just got into photography. Bought myself a 40D and 17-55 f2.8 Canon 2nd hand.

I also bought a B+W UV filter and it looks great. I'm just curious, for the 40D users, will putting on the lens cap on top of the filter scratch the edge of the filter glass? Or it should fit on top just nicely?

If it does scratch, wold it be better to leave the filter on and not put the lens cap at all? (In all circumstances like when you're shooting or not shooting)

Hope i don't sound too confusing.

Many thanks. Help appreciated.

it should not scratch the filter when u put on the lens cap. it should fit nicely. if it does, i suggest u go buy some other filters.

put on the lens cap when u are not shooting (e.g. taking a break or what). if the interval is too short, then don't bother to put it back on. the routine of doing so should suit yourself.

Thanks all! Good to know. Maybe I'll take more precaution by attaching a lens hood so it's harder to get to the surface also. Yup mine's the normal filter so there's a thread (it's not like the slim one) so i think really just need to be more careful with putting on lens cap.

That being said, B+W rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.