ok to buy d70 now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks.... how about body alone? considering substitute 18-70 with sigma 18-125mm.

wanna get 18-125mm for travel propose... 18-50mm is simply to short....

sam_always said:
Why don't you stick to the 18-70 and get the 80-200 F2.8? It's a fantastic lens! I'm using it!!!

definitely i will get 80-200mm... but 80-200mm are too heavy for travel. 18-125mm is a good all rounded lens for travel. but i dont know the image quality...

sam_always said:

Better get something with AF-S/HSM for your main lense. The AF speed difference is very dramatic.

Nikon or 3rd party? If you do a lot of landscape then the Nikon DX 12-24 or Sigma one is a good lens to get if you got $1xxx+ to spare. If you're using it for holidays and stuff then the money would be better spent on a longer zoom.

bernards said:
Better get something with AF-S/HSM for your main lense. The AF speed difference is very dramatic.
Agreed!!! :cool: Best stick to the kit lens then get another zoom. Tamrom or Sigma has a 28-200 that is quite small and light cos it's not a F2.8 lens. But I love the 2.8 even with thw weight cos it's well balanced. :thumbsup:

You can get a Sigma APO II 70-300 as a partner to the kit lense for travelling. It's pretty small, llight and cheap for the range.

The QC is a little bad though and build quality is cheap. I ended up with a lemon, waiting for a replacement.

Sam. You should try out the kit lense first. You might find it hard and really expensive to replace, end up feeling relieved you got it in the first place. If you can afford it and decide to jump in with the 17-55/f2.8. From time to time I still see people with WTB in 'Buy & Sell'. Shouldn't be hard to sell.

i tried kit lens b4.... IT's fast to me... i just wanna know how sigma 18-125 compare to kit lens. if really sigma 18-125mm alot slower than kit lens, i sure will take kit lens...

there's a new tamron on the market i tink.,....perhaps u should check it out...

kit lens.....4.5 at the tele-end is not very interesting.... now i find myself goin back to my sigma 28-70 2.8 which i used for film..

can someone recommend me a good 17-?? 2.8 ??

I have never tried the sigma 18-125. But I was remind'd of how slow and clumsy non AF-S lenses are today.

I went down to TCW to get a mid range zoom. I tested the Nikkor AF-D 80-200 and Sigma 70-200 HSM. The Nikkor is probably a little wee bit sharper at f2.8. But the noise and clumsy AF was a turn off. The Sigma was silent, fast and spot on every time. I went for the sigma, even though it's probably a little wee bit softer wide open. (I couldn't tell the sharpness difference while testing in the shop.) A lense that feels good to use is also a factor to consider.

Oh yeah . Do check if the sigma front element spins during focusing. That makes it hard to use a circular polarizer. Considering it's going to be your main lense. Choose carefully.

Witness said:
there's a new tamron on the market i tink.,....perhaps u should check it out...

kit lens.....4.5 at the tele-end is not very interesting.... now i find myself goin back to my sigma 28-70 2.8 which i used for film..

can someone recommend me a good 17-?? 2.8 ??

If you don't want AF-S. Sigma 18-50/f2.8? Thomaschan is letting one go in buy & sell at a good price.

I have the Nikon 24-120mm (non-VR), Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro, Tokina ATX Pro 28-70mm (mainly for Portraits). Thinking of gettinga wide angle for landscapes/buldings for travel - can't make up mind to get the Sigma/Nikon 12-24mm or the 17-35mm :think: have to think about weight issue - my wife making nosie every time we go travelling with the kids I have a extra luggage (bag) just for my camera/lenses/handycam etc :sweat:

17-50mm is too short to me... i want something like 20-200mm on film SLR... this will be best for travel....sigma 17-125mm is very close to this range.... that why i am interested.... seems like no good lens at this range... :(

bernards said:
I went down to TCW to get a mid range zoom. I tested the Nikkor AF-D 80-200 and Sigma 70-200 HSM. The Nikkor is probably a little wee bit sharper at f2.8. But the noise and clumsy AF was a turn off. The Sigma was silent, fast and spot on every time. I went for the sigma, even though it's probably a little wee bit softer wide open. (I couldn't tell the sharpness difference while testing in the shop.) A lense that feels good to use is also a factor to consider.

hey bernard... how much is the price of Sigma 70-200mm at TCW?

Status
Not open for further replies.