ok. it screwed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

beautiful

Nov 25, 2003
www.elsonkoo.com
ok. so this is what happened.

my friend used fuji 400 film. but then, he set the iso setting to 200, how many stops is this less?

and then he was supposed to shoot at a 125 shutter, however, he shot at a shuuter of 60, and i think the aperture was also a little underexposed.

so what should he tell the lab on how to process?

beautiful said:

my friend used fuji 400 film. but then, he set the iso setting to 200, how many stops is this less?

and then he was supposed to shoot at a 125 shutter, however, he shot at a shuuter of 60, and i think the aperture was also a little underexposed.

In total, he has overexposed by 2 stops. This happened in general for the whole roll? What do you mean by the aperture being underexposed?

Fuji 400 is a print film I've not used... It may just be able to take the 2 stops overexposure.

400 to 200 is only one stop of overexposure. Labs as far as I know, will not do push/pull processing anyway so you just have to send it in and hope. Fortunately, film has pretty good exposure latitude so you still might be able to get your pictures.

Negative film is rated at the lower half of their sensitivity curve instead of the middle, meaning that there is always at least one stop of leeway for overexposure (but not under). Two stops may be ok.

You can send the negative to be processed at ISO 200 or even 100, but you have to pay 50% more. i believe RGB does push/pull processing, along with most of the better labs in the Peninsula area - Ruby, Konota, Colour Lab, etc.

beautiful said:

Hi beautiful,

Iso 400 film with a setting of 200 is 1 stop over. Metered 1/125s shutter speed with 1/60s setting is also 1 stop over (not under), assuming Iso and aperture are the same. Is this negative or slide? If slide, for the 1st case, ask the lab to pull 1 stop. For 2nd case, I don't think every frame was wrong right? So just leave it as it is. If it is negative, just process as usual, and the lab will correct them during printing.

Hope that helps. :)

ok la..just send in for normal process. The super duper machines at the labs will print them for you.

Konota does not offer push/pull processing.

400->200 1 stop over
125->60 1 stop over

aperture??
Total is approximately 2stops over, this is correctable in print, you will only see a more contrasty pic that's all. Pull processing may not be required.

hey thanks guys for the help

im using fujifilm 400. film not slide. my friend set asa at 200. den he used aperture priority and didn't manual adjust exposure, thus he shot at shutter 60 and aperture of around 12 to 22, when the correct exposure would be shutter 125 and aperture i'm not sure.

so now, what will happen to the pictures if sent in without specifiying anything.

or should i tell them how to process it in order not to ruin the whole roll.

The difference between correct aperture and the aperture he used is very important as it could nullify or exacerbate the previous settings.

beautiful said:
hey thanks guys for the help

im using fujifilm 400. film not slide. my friend set asa at 200. den he used aperture priority and didn't manual adjust exposure, thus he shot at shutter 60 and aperture of around 12 to 22, when the correct exposure would be shutter 125 and aperture i'm not sure.

so now, what will happen to the pictures if sent in without specifiying anything.

or should i tell them how to process it in order not to ruin the whole roll.

since he used aperture priority, the shots camera should take into account the film speed and set the shutter speed accordingly. so, 1/60 shutter is correct for ISO 200 film. but since you actually using ISO 400, a shutter speed of 1/60 will over expose by 1 stop (as the correct shutter speed should be 1/125).

most print film have pretty wide exposure latitude. this means you can over or under expose them by upto 2 or sometimes 3 stops, and still get an acceptable print. (i've done this a couple of times myself :hammer: )

i think the photo labs will just process normally as ISO 400 film, should not be a problem. their machine can adjust itself so as to give you a reasonable print if the over exposure is not too great. (but don't quote me on that...)

ST1100 said:
Negative film is rated at the lower half of their sensitivity curve instead of the middle, meaning that there is always at least one stop of leeway for overexposure (but not under). Two stops may be ok.

You can send the negative to be processed at ISO 200 or even 100, but you have to pay 50% more. i believe RGB does push/pull processing, along with most of the better labs in the Peninsula area - Ruby, Konota, Colour Lab, etc.

ST100 is right, labs mentioned above will push/pull for you, those are professional labs. yes, you have to pay $2.00 or 50%, depands on which labs you go.

why not just develop as per normal and see what comes out.

Don't need to worry so much...negatives have pretty wide exposure latitude. Just in case, let the lab owner know about your problem and ask him to look out for the overexposure problem. With a little bit of luck, your photos may turn out to be just alright! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.