Ok I got Photoshop CS liao, but donno how to use hahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
How do you guys start? I am so confused with the settings and functions.

Are there some good books I can borrow from the library and learn?

Thanx!

Try one of those "Photoshop for Dummies" books. Despite the title, they actually cover topics quite well, usually assuming you don't know anything.

Scott Kelby has various Photoshop for Digital Photographer books (different versions of Photoshop). Quite useful because he specifically target what you'll likely need to do with digital photos.

As you go on, Matt Kloskowski has a very good book introducing you to layers.

How do you guys start? I am so confused with the settings and functions.

Thanx!

yes, there is this particular book that is not bad, but very heavy-going with a lot of content.

this is the cs3 version:

photoshop-cs3-for-photographers.jpg

the cs2 version looks alike, but is a blonde girl in front, i think. not sure which version you are using. but the library has the cs2 version, and i think the platform is almost similar so even if you are using cs3 you can start with that as a base.

not everything will be useful, just look at the stuff you think you'll need.

my advice is to refrain from touching the "auto" functions. these serve no purpose unless you are rushed for time, and will just lead you to letting the computer make the decision for you. cheers!

Ok thanx thanx thanx!

When I start using photoshop, I only use auto level, auto contrast and auto colour. :bsmilie:

Any good book which teach to use curve or edit the colors?

I also want to know how to do HDR?

no books teach you to do the curves properly, since every image needs a different curve actually. same for colors.

trial and error, that is the best way to learn, and post online to see if you're doing right by everyone else's standard.

no books teach you to do the curves properly, since every image needs a different curve actually. same for colors.

trial and error, that is the best way to learn, and post online to see if you're doing right by everyone else's standard.

I'd like to add also that correcting color and levels should ideally be done on a calibrated monitor.

hey dude,
try the famous YOUTUBE.

it's less boring .. =)
Just type "photoshop", 'cs2' or 'cs3' =)

Well I borrowed the Photoshop CS2 for dummies book from a friend, my PS is CS3 though. Fart its thick siah. I guess I can't jump into using PS for my photography straightway until I am proficient in using it.

Will still have to stick to my current photo editor temporary, Arcsoft PhotoStudio 2000 is an 8 year old program, can never be as good as PS, but I've been using it for the past 5 years.

Well I borrowed the Photoshop CS2 for dummies book from a friend, my PS is CS3 though.

Will still have to stick to my current photo editor temporary, Arcsoft PhotoStudio 2000 is an 8 year old program, can never be as good as PS, but I've been using it for the past 5 years.

It doesn't really matter, basic stuff is still the same. CS3 has some new features, but you'll still need to know the older features. CS4 is supposed to be out later this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.