Ok for gaffered lenses and bodies in dry cabinet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkyfoot17

Jan 2, 2005
Tampines
Hi all, just wanna check with firm believers of gaffer users ...

I happen to notice that the gaffer tape on my tripod legs has turned a little mouldy due to the recent wet weather.

I also gaffer my body and lenses as well. Is it ok if i put them inside the dry cabinet ? I mean, will the gaffer get mouldy and in the long run, spread to other lense or equipment inside?

Just a little worried ... :embrass:

Hi all, just wanna check with firm believers of gaffer users ...

I happen to notice that the gaffer tape on my tripod legs has turned a little mouldy due to the recent wet weather.

I also gaffer my body and lenses as well. Is it ok if i put them inside the dry cabinet ? I mean, will the gaffer get mouldy and in the long run, spread to other lense or equipment inside?

Just a little worried ... :embrass:

If they are in the dry cabinet, then there's lil chance of that happening... coz the low humidity of the dry cab will almost eliminate the spores from being able to spread and attack the equipment inside...

Just realised my gaffered flash also became mouldy..:sweat:
My gaffered cam body & lenses in the cabi are ok.:D

Thanks for yr assurance ! Was worried that the gaffer tape will trap moisture from our hands and bring it along into the dry cabinet ...

Thanks for yr assurance ! Was worried that the gaffer tape will trap moisture from our hands and bring it along into the dry cabinet ...

Usually after a shoot, I will leave them outside to airdry a while before putting into the cabi.

The dry cab will absorb the moisture. But, it is adviseable to wipe with dry clean cloth first before put on dry cab. As the moisture is salty, it may become salt that can corrode the screws :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

I was advised by the CP saleman to wipe down the lenses and bodies witha damp cloth, then wipe down with a dry cloth and use another cloth to hold the lense and place it inside the dry cabinet.

He said our hands have salt, wic may b transferred to the lense and cause fungus to grow inside the cabinet.

But as my body and lenses r gaffered, when i wipe down with the damp cloth, i wonder if the dry cloth is able to remove most of the moisture on the gaffer tape caused by wiping down with the damp cloth.

Anybody has the same habit and hasn't had any problems ?

actually since the fungus is on the gaffer? why not just do a re-gaffering?
you can save all the trouble worrying and refresh your tripod/lens/camera look.

Yeah, thot abt re-gaferring, but then ... think of all the trouble ... sigh ...

I tink it's the only solution to save me all the worry ...

Status
Not open for further replies.