OK, faulty AF-540 unable to remove from camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT a bit more also...
Anyone ever figured out the trigger voltage of the Pentax dSLRs?
I never found a conclusion answer on the web...

istD/DL/DS is < 30 volts
K10D/K100D is < 25 volts

istD/DL/DS is < 30 volts
K10D/K100D is < 25 volts

So anything less then those voltages are safe?
Cool... That's pretty high, compared to the other brands.... ;)

After reading about stuck flash on dpreview forum, I removed the metal pin from the flash. Its quite easy to do. Unscrew the screws from the shoe mount and u can access the inside to remove the metal pin and the plastic lever.

The pin was stuck because of never loosen(turn) the knob then force the flash out of camera. Never do this. :nono::nono::nono:

The pin was stuck because of never loosen(turn) the knob then force the flash out of camera. Never do this. :nono::nono::nono:

Hmm, I haven't had any problem w/ my flash (360 and 540) yet, but I always loose the knob before taking the flash off. Guess if I follow the rule, it should be alright :)

Thanks for the tip btw ;)

I've been most careful with my AF-540 yet the tiny plastic that lifts the lock pin up still broke off (and into 3 parts too). Luckily it happened while it was out of the camera.

Looking at the design of the locking pin mechanism, I suspect there may have been too much pressure on the plastic catch (that lifts the metal pin up) when the lock lever is set at the 'unlock' position.

So maybe it is better to store the AF-540 with the lock lever set in the "fix" position, but to be safe just remove the pin anyway.

I treat my AF-540 FGZ with kid gloves, and have been lucky so far. No problems to date.
Have an el cheapo Sunpak 383 as backup, just in case.

If my AF540 breaks, most likely I will be changing to a Metz flash... The 58AF-1 has been getting good reviews.

Also seen some good reviews on the internet forums, regarding the Metz 58AF-1.
Is this available in S'pore?

The AF540 have 2 known problems. You can avoid the stuck pin but you can't avoid the stuck zoom problem by being careful.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.