Ois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anckee

Jun 19, 2006
Hi, I am new here.

Just want to find out more about OIS, is it a must?

Which camera manufacturer OIS is better?

Welcome to ClubSNAP.
I guess you mean Panasonic Mega OIS (Mega Optical Image Stabilizer), which help prevent blur image due to camera shake while shooting in low light or long zoom.

Mega OIS is for Panasonic only, same as IS for Canon, VR for Nikon, AS for Konica Minolta or SSS for Sony. Though most are lens base stabilizer, AS and SSS are sensor base stabilizer. It's hard to say which is more effective, most lense base claim to be more effective than sensor base though.

zcf said:
Welcome to ClubSNAP.
I guess you mean Panasonic Mega OIS (Mega Optical Image Stabilizer), which help prevent blur image due to camera shake while shooting in low light or long zoom.

Mega OIS is for Panasonic only, same as IS for Canon, VR for Nikon, AS for Konica Minolta or SSS for Sony. Though most are lens base stabilizer, AS and SSS are sensor base stabilizer. It's hard to say which is more effective, most lense base claim to be more effective than sensor base though.

for me, i think Lens base is better cos, u see shake = sure shake... so u will do preventive measures.

for sensor based, u see the indicator, thru the lens its shaky, but u dunno how shaky... take pic then know... but its good tat all lens upgraded with stabiliser..

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
for me, i think Lens base is better cos, u see shake = sure shake... so u will do preventive measures.

for sensor based, u see the indicator, thru the lens its shaky, but u dunno how shaky... take pic then know... but its good tat all lens upgraded with stabiliser..

But lens base also got 2 mode:
copy from DPreview
Mode 1 (IS on all the time) and Mode 2 (IS is activated at the moment the exposure is made). Mode 1 makes framing easier - the IS system steadies the preview image, but is less than 100% effective when it comes to actually taking the pictures. Mode 2, which minimizes the amount of movement needed by waiting until the actual moment you press the shutter is supposed to be more effective.
with mode 2 (more effective), however you can't sense the IS is working as mode 1 though.

But proper camera handling technique during shooting is also very important.

Thanks for all the input.

Does it mean that when i select camera (even just a point ans shot), i should not consider those without OIS?

Thanks

Anckee said:
Thanks for all the input.

Does it mean that when i select camera (even just a point ans shot), i should not consider those without OIS?

Thanks
Don't rely too much on what you see on TV. You might get real dissappointed when you try to do what the TV commercials did.

It's a plus point to have. :)

Panasonic's OIS, Nikon's VR, Minolta's AS, Canon's IS. All have a common denominator...

It ASSISTS the user and COMPLEMENTS the user's handheld techniques in CUTTING DOWN handshake blur. It DOES NOT COMPLETELY ELIMINATE BLUR DUE TO HANDSHAKE IN WRONG HOLDING TECHNIQUES.

Same goes for Point-and-shoots.

Status
Not open for further replies.