"Oil" stains on inside of lens?

scramblur11

Dec 9, 2004
Sembawang
Hi Folks~

Recently I notice that under certain lighting and angle, I can see some "oil" stains" on the inside of the lens, seem to be under the front lens element. Mine is a Nikon 18-200 vr2 lens. Is this normal? :dunno:

The IQ of the pictures seem ok to me. But as this is my first dslr, so I not really sure if it is normal...:)

Last edited:
Hi Folks~

Recently I notice that under certain lighting and angle, I can see some "oil" stains" on the inside of the lens, seem to be under the front lens element. Mine is a Nikon 18-200 vr2 lens. Is this normal? :dunno:

Does it show up in your pictures? Usually dust and oil stains in the lens do not show up in the pictures unless close to the aperture. If they do not show, don't bother.

Does it show up in your pictures? Usually dust and oil stains in the lens do not show up in the pictures unless close to the aperture. If they do not show, don't bother.

I only used it for less than 1 mth and so far the pictures look ok to me... but usually how is a picture affected by oil stain? black marks etc?

Hi Folks~

The IQ of the pictures seem ok to me. But as this is my first dslr, so I not really sure if it is normal...:)

If it wont affect the pics, i wont be bothered as well.. things like this and dust ae inevitable at times.. just leave it..

I only used it for less than 1 mth and so far the pictures look ok to me... but usually how is a picture affected by oil stain? black marks etc?

Usually, dust or spots in the lens do not show up in the pictures.

But when they do show, you will see black spots when shooting in small apertures.

Oh I see.. Thanks will take note..so far the pictures look ok when I use small apeture. :)

You mean brought new for less than a mth? Lens still in warranty. Can try exchange still new lens should not have oil stain. How big is the stain.

You mean brought new for less than a mth? Lens still in warranty. Can try exchange still new lens should not have oil stain. How big is the stain.

Or TS can just bring to CP (they are the agent for TOkina) and get them to clean the oil out. Should be underwarranty.

My Tokina 11-16 also has a couple of very small specks of dust/oil. Don't show up at all in my shooting, so I just don't bother.

Actually I only see the smudge when I zoom out and look into the lens under spotlight....I don't see it during normal lighting condition...

yupz still under warranty by Nikon. Guess I will continue to monitor it...thks

If you are uncomfortable, should resolve during warranty period.

Or TS can just bring to NSC and get them to clean the oil out. Should be underwarranty.

My Tokina 11-16 also has a couple of very small specks of dust/oil. Don't show up at all in my shooting, so I just don't bother.

edit... sorry just realized your lens is a Nikkor

Still don't feel comfortable with it. Most probably will bring the lens down to NSC for checks..:(

Typically how do you guys check if there stains or dust inside the lens? Under what type of lighting condition? I only see the stains (look like it been clean with cloth and liquid before but left smudges near the corner of the lens) when I look at the front lens elements under spotlight. I don't see it under table lamp or normal daylight in the house.

The lens was only around 2wks plus old. Do you know if NSC will usually just clean it or exchange a brand new one? I will definietly push for a brand new one. This my first Nikon cam and so far the QC quite disapointing for me. The cam body also got button issue which I did a 1-to-1 exchange with NSC within 7 days.:cry:

Looks like you have a bad time with nikon...

Dust and stains can be seen quite easily when you put your lens under strong light. Which will explain why you see the oil strains under spotlight.

Try urge nikon to replace you with a new lens for peace of mind.

This morning when I took a closer look at the lens under the spotlight, I notice a few fine scratches across the front lens element...:( ...not too sure how it got there as I have never attempt to wipe it and it is always cover with a filter since day 1....

Earlier I went to NSC. The explaination given by the service engr is that the "oil" stains is NORMAL. He mention that there is aspherical elements inside and these elements are sprayed with some coating...Nevertheless, they help to arrange with the shop that I bought from and ask me to go back for a exchange...Before I left NSC, I took a look at the showroom lens. No stains leh....

At the shop, the sales person told me it is NORMAL again and that the stains is probably due to reflection under strong lighting...and that I should look at sharpness of the picture taken, rather than dusts, stains etc inside the lens. He say stains or dusts inside brand new lens is normal, even for pro lenses (not sure if he meant nikon only or other brand as well)...While the person was examining the lens, he also found out that the lens have a small chip at the corner of 1 of the middle lens elements...Great, found another problem with the 2wks+ old lens..
Nevertheless, they still change a new lens for me and guess what, no stains leh....

Even though dusts, stains etc inside the lens may not affect the quality of picture taken, but it does affect the resale value of the lens...Will you buy a 2nd hand lens with a stain inside but I tell you Nikon say is normal?

So far my 3wks+ experience with Nikon products is :thumbsd: ...Seem to be QC problem?

I took a look at my 3yrs+ old canon S3 and I don't see any scratches on the lens or stains inside the lens, even though I have clean the lens before myself....

Anyway, I took down the serial no of the old lens...if you are thinking of buying a Nikon 18-200 Vr2 and is worried that you might get this copy, just PM me....

By the way, the sales person told me that Nikon will not exchange a new lens with them for the "stain" since they claim is NORMAL...I find this quite unfair to the shop and whoever bought the same lens next time....

but with the new discovery of the chip inside the lens, I think most probably it will be replaced or repaired by Nikon....

By the way, the sales person told me that Nikon will not exchange a new lens with them for the "stain" since they claim is NORMAL...I find this quite unfair to the shop and whoever bought the same lens next time....

but with the new discovery of the chip inside the lens, I think most probably it will be replaced or repaired by Nikon....

Nikon should have taken back the lens and not send back to shop. Wonder if the shop can send to Nikon for 1 to 1 exchange for defect lens?

Nikon should have taken back the lens and not send back to shop. Wonder if the shop can send to Nikon for 1 to 1 exchange for defect lens?

I think with the chip lens now, Nikon should replaced or repaired it FOC for the shop...chip lens is no longer consider NORMAL liao...

But of coz after repairing, this lens most probably will be send back to the market...

Crap...just found out that my 2nd copy of the lens have back focus...So have to go down to NSC AGAIN, 3rd time in less than 4 wks...:angry:

Initially NSC claim it is NORMAL again...but I show them the test pics that I have done and also that the test pics from the kit lens is much sharper... insist that they change a new one for me...

The kit lens is like 3~4 times cheaper...and I really cannot believe that the quality is so bad for 18-200....Hope the next one (3rd copy) will be ok...haii...

But one good thing is that I really learn alot on how to check lens.... :bsmilie:

Well, the 18-200 is more of a consumer lens. Still, if you found the problem out, you can demand them to fix it.

Back focusing is not that big a problem. All they need to do is to calibrate the lens that all. If you own a D200, D300, D300s and above model, you can actually fine tune the AF yourself.

thanks for the heads-up on the 18-200. This is a VR2 version right?

Also, it is easier for the retailer to get the lens exchanged than you. Since you had the lens for less than a week, exchanging with the retailer is probably the better option.

Last edited:
Well, the 18-200 is more of a consumer lens. Still, if you found the problem out, you can demand them to fix it.

Back focusing is not that big a problem. All they need to do is to calibrate the lens that all. If you own a D200, D300, D300s and above model, you can actually fine tune the AF yourself.

thanks for the heads-up on the 18-200. This is a VR2 version right?

Also, it is easier for the retailer to get the lens exchanged than you. Since you had the lens for less than a week, exchanging with the retailer is probably the better option.

Ya I understand that 18-200 is considered quite cheap for that zoom range....but I don't really think it should be that much worse than a 18-55 kit lens or even my old canon S3....

yupz it is a VR2 version.. I call the shop prior to going down to NSC and they suggest that I go to NSC... Actually NSC suggest for me to go back to shop to change..but I told them I do not want to go back shop anymore as the shop already not too happy when I exchange the lens the 1st time..and I want NSC to check the new lens before releasing it to me...wanted NSC to be responsible this time round...