Oct 2, 2008
Camera: Canon EOS 20D
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 17 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: -1 EV

3221469803_cf19f8f841_b.jpg

Took this photo sometime last week when i was in taiwan... we were going up Alishan and we stopped halfway for a toilet break. As i got out of the bus, i noticed this wondeful view. Manupilated the image a little in camera RAW and cropped off the bottom as the barrier was in the frame.

would like to know if the framing is ok, or how the framing could be better... also would like to hear about the colours as my screen is not calibrated and i do not know if it is ok or not. thks:)

did u use any filter? :)

I think the picture would look better if more of the sky could have been captured. I like the cloud formation and the blues. Also, the mountains seems a little bit underexposed. My humble opinion, anyway.

Cheers

Yep ok... will see how it looks if i brighten the mountains. :) would it also look better if i crop off abit of the foreground? cause someone (not from CS) suggested that....

Ermm..

1. nice capture on the cloudscape
2. nice exposure
3. lack of foreground interest
4. the tree on the right is leading me out of the picture
5. chromatic aberration

just my personal opinion. :)

I think the beautiful part of this scene is the way the clouds intertwine with the mountains in the distance. However, you captured too much of the boring dried grass.... which is very eye catching because it is a strong yellow colour. In photography, you need to direct the viewer to the beautiful parts of the scene, and not divert attention away from it. If you notice, there are also a lot of shadows on the mountains at the moment of capture. You don't need to capture that as well. For this scene to be captured effectively, you need to recompose to capture what is beautiful, and ignore those parts that are not pleasing.

I think something like this would be much nicer:

3221469803_cf19f8f841_b.jpg

Last edited:
could've been epic... but 1 thing just prevented it...

Nice 1st, colors, framing of the grass, mountains, and clouds.

Bad part... the tree... its a major eye sore, esp its been cut in a weird way... of course, you can't just remove that tree, or maybe in a way, you could have used even a wider lens to shoot landscape instead of portrait.

If you have not mention about the crop, i'd say a rather good hyperfocal shot.

Hi,

Nicely taken photo !

Shame you didn't chop down that tree, (ooops, that is a non-greeny thought :bsmilie:)

Good photo :thumbsup:

quite a good take i must say. would prefer some "life" in the foreground...

the tree really draws quite a considerable amt of attention from viewers. not sure if there is a better position down the slope so thay you can go pass that tree.

It's a pity that there's so much "dead" space in the foreground. I see a mass of dried grass, but nothing really eye catching about it. The eye is left wandering as to what your subject is. If your subject is the whole landscape, then it has to be well organised and well composed; every detail in the frame needs to work in cohesion.

I cropped off some of the bottom, but then the tree became too distracting...
3241102910_835bb804f3.jpg

so i cropped off the tree:)
3241103272_1ac4040f36.jpg

Is this any better than the first one?

could've been epic... but 1 thing just prevented it...

Bad part... the tree... its a major eye sore, esp its been cut in a weird way... of course, you can't just remove that tree, or maybe in a way, you could have used even a wider lens to shoot landscape instead of portrait.

Unfortunately i did not have a wider lens as i just sold my 10-22 before the trip:( so 17mm was my widest

i like the dead grass in the foreground, it adds contrast against the blue sky.

good use of the gnd filter.

since u are using 17mm on 20d, agar agar the distant and landscape, i would have move forward to exclude the tree on the right, but if in doing so, i losses the beautiful dried grass in the foreground, i would have shot what u did here, given the limitations.

would like to see if u pp the dried grass softer and add more "glow" to it.

Saw you mentioned about the barrier being cropped out... not sure how it looks like but it may have been posed as a good foreground interest?

Saw you mentioned about the barrier being cropped out... not sure how it looks like but it may have been posed as a good foreground interest?

I doubt it... i was quite ugly and distracting in the image:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.