Oh my! Which to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xigtec31

Jul 6, 2006
Finally I have saved enough dollars to have a lens upgrade. I've been always using my kit lens that comes with my 350D and it have serve me well. However I have some problems with taking pictures in low light conditions and also lack the zoom power on the tele end. I come to know that two good general purpose lens from tarmon and sigma which have an opening of F2.8. Tamron, SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) and Sigma, 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG. Both generally recieve good reviews and now I and stuck with making a choice between both. I know this questions have been posted a zillion times. But I need some expert advise on this matter to maximise my dollar spent. Also it will be enlightening to know how to select a sharp version of the lens.

Your advise is greatly valued. Thanks

Real Noob here :>

how much $$$ do you need help with?

Hmm.. My budget is around 700 bucks :> Hmm.. Any comments on these two lens.. or recommending something equivalent.

Both Sigma and Tamron both have their pro and con, but for me I would choose the Tamron. The Tamron 28-75 is my primary lens, and I still love it. I prefer the image quality from Tamron over the Sigma 24-70, & I feel that Tamron is sharper. Built wise, Tamron is smaller, lighter, while the Sigma feels sturdier. But the main deal clincher is that the Tamron 28-75 filter thread size is 67mm, while the Sigma 24-70 is a whopping 82mm!! Think how much more expensive the filter would be.

have you considered the tamron 17-50/2.8 which is about $700. i know you have the kit lens which seems duplicating but this is a f2.8 lens which will serve you well in low light. do a search in cs. there are quite a few sample photos taken with this lens in low light situations.

though the 28-70 & 24-70 you stated are good lenses in their own right, you will miss having wide angle with these two lens. however if you have intention of going full frame later, the 28-70 & 24-70 will be a better long term investment.

good luck in your hunt.

Both Sigma and Tamron both have their pro and con, but for me I would choose the Tamron. The Tamron 28-75 is my primary lens, and I still love it. I prefer the image quality from Tamron over the Sigma 24-70, & I feel that Tamron is sharper. Built wise, Tamron is smaller, lighter, while the Sigma feels sturdier. But the main deal clincher is that the Tamron 28-75 filter thread size is 67mm, while the Sigma 24-70 is a whopping 82mm!! Think how much more expensive the filter would be.

Thanks for the advise. I over look the filter part. 82mm is not a common size. And needless to say, it cost a bomb and its not wise to get other filter of that size. :> thanks

Hmm.. My budget is around 700 bucks :> Hmm.. Any comments on these two lens.. or recommending something equivalent.

Do you want to replace your kit lens?
What do you normally shoot?
What focal lenght do you use most of the time?

Do you want to replace your kit lens?
What do you normally shoot?
What focal lenght do you use most of the time?

I'm actually a causal shooter. Shoot almost anything that come to mind. I seem to be comfortable from around 30 - 100mm. 18-55kit lens + 75-300tele lens. So I will think that having 24-70mm will be quite suitable and furthermore with an opening of f2.8, shooting in low light wouldn't be a problem.

I am also considering to get a 50mm F1.8 for general shooting.

Thanks for your advise.

like to ask how is the optical quality of the above 2 lens in comparison to nikkor 17-55mm and 17-80mm?

I'm actually a causal shooter. Shoot almost anything that come to mind. I seem to be comfortable from around 30 - 100mm. 18-55kit lens + 75-300tele lens. So I will think that having 24-70mm will be quite suitable and furthermore with an opening of f2.8, shooting in low light wouldn't be a problem.

I am also considering to get a 50mm F1.8 for general shooting.

Thanks for your advise.

b4 or after crop factor?

how about the Tamron SP AF17-50

or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC MACRO

or the upcoming Tokina AT-X 165 PRO DX

Status
Not open for further replies.