Status
Not open for further replies.

HHenrYY

Mar 18, 2009
Singapore
What does the mm means on lenses ? :think:

e.g 18mm-105mm or 55-200mm

what is that ?
i know the lower the number, the wider the view.
how do i explain it ?
and...
how does it differ from compact's 1x 2x 3x .... zoom?

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

That is the focal length of the lens. For prime lens it will just be one number, e.g. 28mm. For zoom lens it will be a range, like 18-105mm. The focal length of the lens affect the field of view (FOV), and the longer the focal length, the narrower the FOV (and hence the image appear magnified).

what is that ?
how do i explain it ?
and...

click here for some useful links

The 5x, 10x etc zoom usually used in compact camera is just the ratio of the long end to the wide end of the zoom. So for example, a lens of 18-180mm is a 10x zoom (180/18=10). It is meaningless unless a baseline is know, in this example it is 18. So for a lens of 5x zoom and 35mm at the wide end, the zoom range is 35-175mm.

e.g 18mm-105mm or 55-200mm [...]

More than 200 postings in photography forum and you haven't figured out what that means? Sounds a bit weird because it's the very very basics of any camera system. Wikipedia: Focal Length - do follow the links given there.

what is that ?
how do i explain it ?
and...

It would also help if you would read the Newbies guide to photography which is a sticky here. Your question is one of the most basic ones and is covered early.

what is that ?
how do i explain it ?
and...

wah biang eh... :sweatsm:

wah biang eh... :sweatsm:
Hi I am new, what is the no. 1 thing I must know to take up photography as a hobby. Anything not too heavy in weight and price, thank you.:thumbsup:

Hi I am new, what is the no. 1 thing I must know to take up photography as a hobby. Anything not too heavy in weight and price, thank you.:thumbsup:

The #1 thing? Your camera's manual. Other than that, you can read the newbies guides on here. Then you can shoot with your cellphone cam or even a simple compact, whatever you have handy and whatever you're comfy with.

Also, please don't troll other people's threads.

Last edited:

No 1 thing? It is a hobby after all and should give you fun, pleasure, relaxing, distraction from the working days .. [fill in other achievements you might have in mind]. But like many other things in live: put your mind into it, learn what it needs to take pictures (technically but also in terms of aesthetics, art). Do you see any camera brand in my posting so far? :)
Cameras are your tools, nothing more. Select the tool that you can afford (define your budget!) and that you can feel comfortable with (go and try them in the shops). The selection is up to you. All cameras can take decent pictures. Pictures get better if the person behind viewfinder knows a bit more than just pressing shutter button in Full Auto Mode.
Define what is heavy, define what is your budget. Technical details come later and can be discussed once you open you own thread and come with specific questions. "What's the best camera?" does not qualify as one.

wah ur this one short sentence question really asking for too much lah...

u need to search around this forum, read the thread, google abit...

meanwhile let's clear the misconception: you DO NOT NEED a DSLR to go into photgraphy as a hobby... if u absoutely know nothing, start w a PnS so u don't end up cracking ur brains or pulling out ur hair just to learn what each button/function works

number 1 thing you must know, is not to blindly buy a DSLR without knowing what does ALL the markings on the camera or lens mean, especially when what does the MM on the lens denote.

number 1 thing you must do, is to go read. and den go buy a POINT AND SHOOT, if all the things you are reading overwhelms you.

The no. 1 thing is to read. Nothing to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.