Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

What's your priority in a official shoot...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zplus

Mar 16, 2002
Some equitorial, tropical isle
With the recent post of photographers blocking other photographers (likely the cause of the outburst)... let's have a straw poll... ;)

No biting, kicking, bitching or flaming.....:flame:

If you are a paid photographer for an event, what would you consider to be your priority?? :)

top priority..get the moolah :bsmilie:

why not events shooter that shoot for fun, see their votes?

even as an official photographer, you got to realise that you don't own the event, neither are you the main person in the event, you are just someone who records.

here we go again........
let me see...move to the left, right, up, down, forward, backward; versus getting upset. 6 options versus 1

pros and official photogs have a job to do and cannot always look out for you. therefore, lookout for yourself and realize there are at least 7 options noted above. take your pic

...or, if you want to tap the pro or official photog on the shoulder and say excuse me I'd like to get in a few shots as well, be prepared and expect the worst. some will say sure, and some will look at you and think or even say who are you to tell me anything when i have a job to do...i am the official photographer and you are not.

you can't control other people, so be creative, think ahead, and be prepared. i think we all have gotten in the way of another person trying to take a pic whether we knew it or not so why complain or grumble or have this be a seemingly endless issue? as long as we choose to fault someone else, this will never end.

...there's more to life then complaining about the other guy and there is always another way...anyways, that's my opinion.

NOTE...when I use the word you, i'm saying it in general terms and it's not meant for any one specific person.

Sometimes I wish I can get into 'stealth' mode. mmmm.. try to be invisible.

Whatever it is, try to be a little sensitive lah. I don't want to be in that guys video as well, right? :confused:

Sometimes I wish I can get into 'stealth' mode. mmmm.. try to be invisible.

Whatever it is, try to be a little sensitive lah. I don't want to be in that guys video as well, right? :confused:

floating camera? :eek: that'll be scary.

well, to be a pro one has to behave like one, and a pro always make room to accomodate others, whether a photographer, videographer, or whatever grapher :D

floating camera? :eek: that'll be scary.

well, to be a pro one has to behave like one, and a pro always make room to accomodate others, whether a photographer, videographer, or whatever grapher :D

i disagree...
example,

have you ever been to a professional sporting event where television cameras sometimes block seemingly the best angles? are you going to tell espn to move because they are in your way? are they unprofessional because they are in your way? should they turn around and ask a few hundred or more people "am i in your way?"

i'd say no to all 3. with that in mind, an official or pro photog has the same job to do as espn... to document. although a photogs equipment is smaller, their job is not to turn around and see who they are in the way of because undoubtedley they will be in the way of someone somewhere sometime. courtesy is nice, but it is not mandatory and it is not the mark of a professional. although in fairness, how one responds to your request may be a different story.

I can't vote (not yet 21yrs old in here) but I'd like to give some comments.

When a particualr company organise an event and they know for sure that there's gona be like 1,000 people attending with only enough space for 800 people, then they should have hired more crowd control people before hand and put up some barricade. And since they're paying for an official photog (which means they WANT those picts) they should inform the crowd control guys to give all possible access to the offical photog.

I'm using the scenario where the offical photographer is a professional - meaning he earns his living by taking on event shoots.

But we all know that in real life situations, things never go according to plan. So when the s**t hits the fan, the (official) photog has every right to do whatever is necessary to get the shot. Reason is very simple : Money. If he misses some very important shots, he won't be able to deliver the goods, which means he won't get paid. Yes, he CAN survive without being paid for that particular assignment, but word WILL get around that this photog CANNOT deliver. This in turn means his future assignments are at stake.

See the snowball effect for this particualr problem?

So priority is the shot but I will be courteous. Yet I will not miss the shot. (which unfortunately isn't in the list) so I'd have to choose (1) Priority is the shot. The rest is secondary. No shot no pay.

It would be more interesting if the subject is relating to hobbist. Professionals -satisfying their clients as priority.

i disagree...
example,

have you ever been to a professional sporting event where television cameras sometimes block seemingly the best angles? are you going to tell espn to move because they are in your way? are they unprofessional because they are in your way? should they turn around and ask a few hundred or more people "am i in your way?"

i'd say no to all 3. with that in mind, an official or pro photog has the same job to do as espn... to document. although a photogs equipment is smaller, their job is not to turn around and see who they are in the way of because undoubtedley they will be in the way of someone somewhere sometime. courtesy is nice, but it is not mandatory and it is not the mark of a professional. although in fairness, how one responds to your request may be a different story.

if an event requires ESPN coverage, special arrangements are made to accomodate their work since they are servicing a wide audience. you think you'll get special treatment if you're an official photog from some unknown, low readership magazine? you need to know where your rights start and end.

when i did some event coverage back in my area's CC, there was this rather infamous photographer from a well known local newspaper who photograph politicians and who was constantly blacklisted for unheeding warnings for getting too close to his subjects. from last i heard, it's not uncommon that he gets banned from doing his work by security. doesn't mean when you're the official photog, the entire world owes you your place.

By chance does this guy have a nickname?? Sometimes refered to as the dancing fool.

just to add ...

if i'm a viewer at an event standing or sitting down in my allocated place and an official photographer constantly disturbs me from enjoying the event, be it a seminar, a concert, a fashion show or a friend's wedding day, i don't think i'll have the patience to keep it to myself. the official photographer may give me the reason that it's his/her job, well i'll just say that he/she losing his/her job probably has nothing to do with me. :)

Shoot and scoot. If you have to move around, shoot and scoot, minimise the amount of time you are obstructing people.

Fashion Festival is coming up, it'll be interesting to see who'll be at these events. Probably see all the usual suspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.