Official D3100 User Thread

burboy

Aug 7, 2009
East
Some of the dealers are already selling the D3100 RCP $999

Proud owners of the new D3100, care to share your experience with this baby.

Just got mine from TK Foto for $840 cash. As a first time DSLR user converting from PnS it feels good in the hand, nice grip. I've tried a few shots, not worth posting here, really cui lol. Guess I need more practice and need to read the manual fully. Battery is not fully charged yet, so charging now. Charger is those Japan/EU type plug, so got converter to singapore 2 pin.

Just got mine from TK Foto for $840 cash. As a first time DSLR user converting from PnS it feels good in the hand, nice grip. I've tried a few shots, not worth posting here, really cui lol. Guess I need more practice and need to read the manual fully. Battery is not fully charged yet, so charging now. Charger is those Japan/EU type plug, so got converter to singapore 2 pin.

Is $840 Body only or with Len, any free gifts you get?

$840 with kit lens 18-55mm. I can't be sure about free gifts cause although i got a free netbook slingbag, i bought a lot of stuff from them, camera bag, another lens and a dry cabinet.

I've decided to sell my NEX5 to get one of these..

Why?
  1. Viewfinder
  2. Compatability with my other lenses
  3. Backup/Stash and run/Everyday camera
  4. Decent enough control buttons on the camera
  5. Lightweight

I'd probably be sticking a 35mm f1.8 lens on this camera and use it as my everyday camera where I just take and go..

My main body is the D300s, which is a tad bit heavy to carry around campus everyday. With this I'd probably be carrying it around and shooting pictures fairly fast and easily. 700g is a decent enough weight to be lugging around (Versus D300s+Battery Grip+24-70mm) for good quality photos.

NEX5 just doesnt seem to fit my bill for a carry around camera, regret buying it already (anyone wants mine for cheap?)

I'd probably check it out at TK/MS Colour tomorrow.

I've decided to sell my NEX5 to get one of these..

Why?
  1. Viewfinder
  2. Compatability with my other lenses
  3. Backup/Stash and run/Everyday camera
  4. Decent enough control buttons on the camera
  5. Lightweight

I'd probably be sticking a 35mm f1.8 lens on this camera and use it as my everyday camera where I just take and go..

My main body is the D300s, which is a tad bit heavy to carry around campus everyday. With this I'd probably be carrying it around and shooting pictures fairly fast and easily. 700g is a decent enough weight to be lugging around (Versus D300s+Battery Grip+24-70mm) for good quality photos.

NEX5 just doesnt seem to fit my bill for a carry around camera, regret buying it already (anyone wants mine for cheap?)

I'd probably check it out at TK/MS Colour tomorrow.

maybe u want to buy this? http://www.sony.com.sg/product/nex-vg10e
so u can used its lens too.

$840 with kit lens is cheap... =) guess it will be a popular dslr for newbie like me

IS0 100-3200 range (12,800 expanded), what does it mean by expanded for ISO 12800??

probably getting this :) as it within the budget

oh yea does it had its own AF motor?

Last edited:
y u wink lol

how abt the ISO?

IS0 100-3200 range (12,800 expanded), what does it mean by expanded for ISO 12800??

probably getting this :) as it within the budget

oh yea does it had its own AF motor?

body AF motor is only available in D90 and above

expandable mean H1 or H2 where the ISO figure is not define properly but up to 12,800 (usually pictures are unusable)

Last edited:

share with us some pictures. ;)

I'm really bad at this, here is some pics i took

ISO 100 1/400 F5.6 Focal length 55mm

003 by myoha, on Flickr

ISO 100 1/40 F5.6 Focal length 55mm

005 by myoha, on Flickr

ISO 100 1/50 F5.6 Focal Length 55mm, this one i was using Guide Mode that taught me to use A Mode and choose small values for Aperture to soften the background, I think the white a bit too bright (is it called bright? noob)

010 by myoha, on Flickr

I'll see if I can do some night shots to test the higher ISO, but probably need to bring out my father's old tripod, no fish prawn also can lol

Last edited:
wa nice photo! thk i shld get this over d90

Manual Mode ISO 100 10 Sec F5.6 55mm

027 by myoha, on Flickr

Manual Mode ISO1600 1/3 sec F5.6 55mm

038 by myoha, on Flickr

Now offically a new, proud owner of the D3100 :D

Any D3100 owners wanna share tips and tricks? :)

Bought a D3100 too (shared the kit with another CSer, he took lens I took body) :)

Not a bad camera so far. And for Fn button I set as ISO, there aren't many choices.