Official 5DMKII users thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinned79

Jun 18, 2009
Singapore
www.dennislee.co
Ok... we have 500D - 550D user threads. But none for 5DMKII (pardon me if there is!).

Since the price drop of 5DMKII, I have seen many upgraded to this body.

So let me start this thread and may the poison spreads! :devil:

Purpose of this thread:
Same as other user threads but strictly only related to 5DMKII.

Please close this thread if the mods feel that it is not appropriate.

:)

Last edited:
Hello,

I am a 5DM2 users. Too bad I bought it long before the price drop. :(

5DMkII user reporting :cool:

Did a search but can't seem to find a similar thread to this one (if my eyes never fail me), so thanks for starting one ya! :thumbsup:

Hello,

I am a 5DM2 users. Too bad I bought it long before the price drop. :(

no worries... u are a proud user before we do ;p

anyway so far my only complain about this cam is the AF (I am not particular about the X num of AF this cam can offer as compared to 7D or 1Ds)... seems like only center AF is fast in focusing... the rest of the AF points are slow as compared to my previous 450D (also 9 AF points).

Otherwise, everything about this cam is good! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
5D MkII new user.. bought this cam recently and loves it..

anyway so far my only complain about this cam is the AF (I am not particular about the X num of AF this cam can offer as compared to 7D or 1Ds)... seems like only center AF is fast in focusing... the rest of the AF points are slow as compared to my previous 450D (also 9 AF points).

I had the same considerations when I understood the AF system and # of pts no change from 5D1. But looking back, ever since I stucked to centre AF point and using re-composition, I had less buttons to fumble with and more time to get the shot i want. Of cuz i dun do sports photography where AI-servo and AF point weighs in so much more.

Anyone use 5d mark 2 for sports from time to time? How does it's performance(ai servo) compare to 500d and 50d(this one all cross type i know but i'm not sure how it compares when tracking using centre point only).

I'm interested to know how good is the centre point for stuff like sports? Thx

Hi all - - - I will join this thread tomorrow when my 5DMKII arrives :cool:

Anyone use 5d mark 2 for sports from time to time? How does it's performance(ai servo) compare to 500d and 50d(this one all cross type i know but i'm not sure how it compares when tracking using centre point only).

I'm interested to know how good is the centre point for stuff like sports? Thx

i dun do sports... but for center focus point, if u switch to AI SERVO mode... there is 6 extra focus points surrounding the center point... speed wise not sure... :)

i intend to get this 5Dmk2. should i get the kit 24-105 or just the body alone. don't like to carry a heavy lens at the moment. would a 17-40 be good lens to start with?

which shop should i go to? any recommendations?

i intend to get this 5Dmk2. should i get the kit 24-105 or just the body alone. don't like to carry a heavy lens at the moment. would a 17-40 be good lens to start with?

get the kit set with 24-105, imo more worth it, that why alot of guys sell off this lens to cover the costs of the 5D2, however, i felt this 24-105 is good for walk about with IS, that's me...

couple with 17-40, you cover from wide to 105mm. good choice.

get the kit set with 24-105, imo more worth it, that why alot of guys sell off this lens to cover the costs of the 5D2, however, i felt this 24-105 is good for walk about with IS, that's me...

couple with 17-40, you cover from wide to 105mm. good choice.

pattanct, thanks for your response.

btw how much or approx costs of this lens - 1) 17-40L (f4) - Get the wide angle and useful walking lens (this is sharp lens) ? which i copied from one of the threads.

pattanct, thanks for your response.

btw how much or approx costs of this lens - 1) 17-40L (f4) - Get the wide angle and useful walking lens (this is sharp lens) ? which i copied from one of the threads.

for new lens I think around $1150 but if you can find around $950 at B&S

Unless you already have in mind what you will be shooting most of the time, otherwise the 24-105 is a very good general purpose lens to have and start things with.

Hi to all Seniors, I'm new here. Upgraded to 5DMK2 about a year ago...Love it ever since...

Unless you already have in mind what you will be shooting most of the time, otherwise the 24-105 is a very good general purpose lens to have and start things with.

mimik07 have the point, 24-105 is not heavier compare to 24-70 and it good for general purpose, i have 17-40 before but find it hard to take portrait in my 5DMII previously with crop body is not issue with portrait so I ended by selling it, but it useful when u take landscape/group photo

just my 2 cents

If it is your first DSLR, go for 24-105. Its an all round lens from wide to tele.

If this is an upgrade, what kind of photography are you into? That would guide you to what lens to buy.

17-40 is a wide angle lens, mainly for landscape, but that being said, i have used it for portraits and streets provided you have no issues with shooting ppl upclose like within 5m

Any of the recommended shops in price guide and whichever is convenient to you. There is John 3:16 which provides great service but you have to be patient. Or MScolor which is out of the way if you stay in the extreme east or west. Or Cathay photo which is located at various places. Its really personal preference.

Will either get 5D mark II with 24-70mm f2.8 or 35mm f1.4 when back to Singapore end July ;)
Any good suggestion?

Will either get 5D mark II with 24-70mm f2.8 or 35mm f1.4 when back to Singapore end July ;)
Any good suggestion?

Suggestions for lens? That will depend on what do you shoot mainly. Having a prime for portraiture, a general purpose lens for travelling and a mid-range telephoto should suffice for hobbyists like you and me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.