Offical word from Nikon on the damage by the earthquake and tsunami

hmmm...that means 'made in japan' equips will increase in price....?

it is also heart warming to read this

"March 14, 2011

Nikon Corporation would like to express its profound sympathy and condolences to the victims of the earthquake in Northern Japan, on March 11, 2011.

In response to this tragedy and to extend the immediate support to its victims and affected area, Nikon Corporation has decided to donate the following assistance:
Cash donation 100 million yen
Donee Japanese Red Cross Society"

http://www.nikon.com/about/news/2011/0314_02.htm

"March 14, 2011

Nikon Corporation would like to express its profound sympathy and condolences to the victims of the earthquake in Northern Japan, on March 11, 2011.

In response to this tragedy and to extend the immediate support to its victims and affected area, Nikon Corporation has decided to donate the following assistance:

Good of them to give back something to society .... only do more good for them. :)

i guess that will be one of the side effects... i imagine still a lot of chips/display/etc production still being done out of japan... so overall globaly supply/production of a lot of electronics components will be affected

i guess for now, there's more impetus for ppl to just go ahead to get the d700 if they have been hesitating.

Thom Hogan: "But if you need a particular product and it is available now, I wouldn't hold off on purchasing it. In a very small way, that would tend to help the company and people who produced it recover by clearing inventory and increasing demand at the plants as they reopen."

praying that the nuclear situation can be successfully contained and no more lives are lost.

The more immediate effect on the prices would be that the price would increase, due to possible shortages of MIJ Nikons/lenses.

After that, the Japanese govt will probably devalue their currency to encourage exports. Prices should be falling at that point in time.

That being said, it's still really hard to speculate since there are a lot more factors such as the demand in Singapore etc etc.

"March 14, 2011

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

those are just crazy prizes for the trinity lenses! more expensive than local warrantied ones, just like that my respect for that place plummeted

Actually why do you lose respect for them? They are just doing business. They buy lenses from overseas, and import them here. Prices in some places overseas have risen to RRP. So if they parallel import, they have to pay higher prices, add shipping, add cargo clearing costs ($350 per shipment if by sea)... etc etc... So their prices go up according.

All the prices are listed. As buyers, you can easily pick up the phone and get some price quotes. Then buy from where you decided in the end, based on prices or other factors. What's the big deal?

So why do you lose respect for them? They did not do anything wrong. What do you expect them to do? Sell stuff to you at a loss? Come on.

And watch the local prices closely. It is going to go up very soon, according with my conversations to some reputable stores.

Last edited:
Meaning that we will not see a D700 upgrade real soon. Everything is being delay.

So anyone eyeing on the upgrade, can buy the D700. :)

Last edited:
Actually why do you lose respect for them? They are just doing business. They buy lenses from overseas, and import them here. Prices in some places overseas have risen to RRP. So if they parallel import, they have to pay higher prices, add shipping, add cargo clearing costs ($350 per shipment if by sea)... etc etc... So their prices go up according.

they are parallel importers and why would i want to go with a parallel importer in this case(hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_import)? only one reason (since the versions are similar), cheaper price points. and when a parallel importer charges you more money for a similar product that is distributed officially through the local channels, well that just defeats the purpose doesn't it?

All the prices are listed. As buyers, you can easily pick up the phone and get some price quotes. Then buy from where you decided in the end, based on prices or other factors. What's the big deal?

you've obviously not bought anything from them. the listed prices are actual prices, well less 2% if you pay by cash. but otherwise no haggling, no bargaining. anyway, i'm speaking for myself. might not be a big deal for you, but i sure is a big deal for me. to each his own right?

So why do you lose respect for them? They did not do anything wrong. What do you expect them to do? Sell stuff to you at a loss? Come on.

And watch the local prices closely. It is going to go up very soon, according with my conversations to some reputable stores.

ahhh, that's all speculation at this time isn't it? whereas for dd, it's all in black and white in their website. see the difference? catch the drift?

they are parallel importers and why would i want to go with a parallel importer in this case(hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_import)? only one reason (since the versions are similar), cheaper price points. and when a parallel importer charges you more money for a similar product that is distributed officially through the local channels, well that just defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Choosing to buy or not to buy from them, and losing respect in them, are two totally different things. Please understand what I am saying.

They are just another channel to get your equipment. Whether you find it worth your money or not, has no bearing on what kind of people they are.

you've obviously not bought anything from them. the listed prices are actual prices, well less 2% if you pay by cash. but otherwise no haggling, no bargaining. anyway, i'm speaking for myself. might not be a big deal for you, but i sure is a big deal for me. to each his own right?

I have not bought anything from them - correct. But I know how their pricing works. What I am saying is, you can call any OTHER shops in Singapore, and get price quotes and decide if DD or any other store is where you will go to get your stuff. Buyers have to do due diligence if they care about getting the best deal. Please read my post properly.

ahhh, that's all speculation at this time isn't it? whereas for dd, it's all in black and white in their website. see the difference? catch the drift?

Speculation? please check prices in B&H and Amazon. They have all already went up. Are you going to lose your respect for Amazon and B&H too? DD's sources prices went up, so their price have to go up too. It is NOT speculation, but a fact.

And you think SG prices will hold?

Last edited:
just compare price of some lenses in amazon vs dd... there you will see the difference, theyre still cheap than dd!

when a grey market seller sells lenses higher than official channels i lose respect for them because that defeats the purpose of going to them for lower prices... still dont get it do you

Last edited: