Off focus or hand shake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dts_spawn

Jun 24, 2005
I took this a few days back using my fz5. It was high up on a tree, so i had to fully zoom.
On the cam's LCD screen it look ok but once i went back home and cropped, the bird is blur. I had lots of difficulty focusing and took many picutres before i got a "okay" one. So is the blur because of the focusing or my handshake? Any ways to improve this?
sunbirdsmalll.jpg

sunbridcrop.jpg

u need a tripod for such shots, i had the same experience till i went to invest in a good tripod

Pardon me, but I thought that was off-focus? I've tried to take a huge spider in-between the tree branches in one of the parks, and no matter how I zoom, the camera seems to be confused on where to focus on! Pity FZ5 does not have (real) manual focus.

hmm.. :think:

could it because of the use of wrong apeture ???

i am no expert but my 1st sight was like.. the little branches is more "sharp" than the bird..

maybe i was wrong..

for me, i sometime focus on the wrong object and then i take the pic..

correct me pls..

nice try thru :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

lools like out of focus to me.

There is a chance of camera shake since you are shooting a 1/30s
at 432mm max zoom even though FZ5 has OIS function.

Try increasing your shutter speed to abt 1/100s and above see if that will help.

I would guess it is a combination of out of focus and hand shake, probably 80% out focus and 20% handshake.
1. u probably press the shutter too early before the camera confirm focus lock (most digicam would have a LED light to show focus confirmed and locked)
2. yr shutter speed maybe too slow and u hand holding the camera, tend to hand shake

You are shooting at only ISO 80 and full zoom will shutter speed of only 1/30. At full zoom 432mm or similar situations, when see such slow speed switch to shutter mode and set speed of at least 1/100. Your resulting photos may be dark/under but always can go back and ps.

Ya.. At first i thought i was off focus. But then i realised the branches was also not very sharp. BTW, the light turn green before i pressed the shutter.

rhair78 said:
Up the ISO, use flash, and go nearer.
Sure get a nice sharp birdie!

fz5 up ISO too much will make pic become mark lee's face haha

can i ask, that other than obvious improve in sharpness if u take at higher spd
would it also results in lost of color quality???

dts_spawn said:
Ya.. At first i thought i was off focus. But then i realised the branches was also not very sharp. BTW, the light turn green before i pressed the shutter.
Maybe it's off focus, maybe it's hand shake... or maybe it's the camera's fault with its focusing :think:. Taken from dpreview...

"......In our extensive real-world testing we only found a few minor problems - the occasional focus error when shooting quickly at full zoom....... It should be noted, however, that the 'hit rate' is very high; I would guess only 1 in 100 shots had a problem serious enough to ruin the shot, and nearly all these were when shooting at the extreme long end of the zoom......"

fuse said:
fz5 up ISO too much will make pic become mark lee's face haha

can i ask, that other than obvious improve in sharpness if u take at higher spd
would it also results in lost of color quality???
I don't think colour will be affected by the shutter speed.

dts_spawn said:
I don't think colour will be affected by the shutter speed.

thanks!!!

use spot metering..just saw yr exif u used multi-seg metering

Status
Not open for further replies.