off center subject and accurate focusing


Status
Not open for further replies.

henry_koh

New Member
Dec 8, 2004
10
0
0
#1
This may be a silly question but really like to know:

I use spot focusing most of the time and when I focussed on a subject and then recompose by putting the subject on the one of the 'third' would this affect the accuracy of the focusing somewhat. Would the distance now be different (slightly at least) and would that therefore affect the focussing accuracy?
 

Nov 5, 2003
183
0
16
Visit site
#2
Hi Henry,

So long the cam is still focused on the spot even after moving, it wouldn't affect the accuracy. If in doubt, use a small f-number (if your camera permits the user to select it). If not, point-and-shoot digicams usually hv more than sufficient depth of field.

Hopes this helps.
 

#3
henry_koh said:
I use spot focusing most of the time and when I focussed on a subject and then recompose by putting the subject on the one of the 'third' would this affect the accuracy of the focusing somewhat. Would the distance now be different (slightly at least) and would that therefore affect the focussing accuracy?
did you half depress the shutter and then recompose while still half depressing the shutter?
it would be good to know which model of camera you are using.
alternatively, if you have manual focusing, might want to use that for tricky situations.
 

henry_koh

New Member
Dec 8, 2004
10
0
0
#4
codling said:
did you half depress the shutter and then recompose while still half depressing the shutter?
it would be good to know which model of camera you are using.
alternatively, if you have manual focusing, might want to use that for tricky situations.
Sorry I did not make myself clear: I am using a FZ20 and I do all the half press stuff and never or seldom get any out of focus problem, I was just wandering over the issue since the distance to the subject as a result of the recomposing should be different. Sorry I am just curious because I was thinking that a camera with focus brackets on the thirds may be even more accurate.

cheers and thanks fror replying
 

LifeWorld

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,324
0
0
East Coast
lifeworld.multiply.com
#5
For more than one subject focusing, try 3-area focus or 9-area focus.
This works pretty well except you can't select your subject to focus! It's auto......... :angry:
 

#6
henry_koh said:
Sorry I did not make myself clear: I am using a FZ20 and I do all the half press stuff and never or seldom get any out of focus problem, I was just wandering over the issue since the distance to the subject as a result of the recomposing should be different. Sorry I am just curious because I was thinking that a camera with focus brackets on the thirds may be even more accurate.

cheers and thanks fror replying
hmm...shouldnt be an issue on the focusing. perhaps you can use center focusing (slightly bigger focusing area) rather than spot focusing, unless you are doing macro shots or you want to focus on one point.
alternatively, switch to manual focusing, lock focus via 1 time AF mode and then recompose accordingly...

also, do take note of changes in distance while recomposing. if you already lock focus at the subject at 3m, note that you do not move too much (or your subject), else the subject distance might increase or decrease, hence, the focusing distance has already changed.
i hope i m not confusing you...
 

sinlg

New Member
Jun 21, 2004
355
0
0
50
#7
I'm using a FZ5. I notice that if I set telezoom to max (12x)... I sometimes cannot focus at all.. how come?
 

unseen

Senior Member
Dec 14, 2004
2,622
0
0
NTU and Wdls
#8
Min focusing distance applies.
must read manual
need at least 1 meter to focus.
2X - 11X, need 2 m.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom