off camera flash firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
if i fire my sb800 wireless using my d200 as commander, will iTTL still be available or do i have to dial in my own settings?

if so, does that mean i do not have to buy a cable to connect my flash to my d200 for off camera flash firing?

any difference between the 2 methods?

and

how do i use fill flash for daylight portraiture so that it's so subtle it's like not noticeable that the flash fired?

teach me in steps.me very slow one.:D
TIA!:kiss:

Would like to know this too for my minolta system... upzzz!!!

if i fire my sb800 wireless using my d200 as commander, will iTTL still be available or do i have to dial in my own settings?

if so, does that mean i do not have to buy a cable to connect my flash to my d200 for off camera flash firing?

and

how do i use fill flash for daylight portraiture so that it's so subtle it's like not noticeable that the flash fired?

iTTL available...

a pre-flash will be fired to test the exposure of the subject before the actual flash fires.

with a cable, there's no need for preflash (so this can help with creatures which may be scared off by the pre-flash) This is good for a single or 2 flashes (but note the cables may be messy)

Fill Flash can be done with iTTL, but just drop the flash ev to -1.3 to -2.0 Check to see if the flash is too strong, else drop ev further or use a smaller aperture.

Cheers,

iTTL available...

a pre-flash will be fired to test the exposure of the subject before the actual flash fires.

with a cable, there's no need for preflash (so this can help with creatures which may be scared off by the pre-flash) This is good for a single or 2 flashes (but note the cables may be messy)

Fill Flash can be done with iTTL, but just drop the flash ev to -1.3 to -2.0 Check to see if the flash is too strong, else drop ev further or use a smaller aperture.

Cheers,

i'm firing humans.so it's ok.wont be scared off by preflashes.
so what do i set on my flash?AA mode or iTTL BL or iTTL?:dunno:
and i minus ev from my flash settings or from my d200 body?or are they the same?

Would like to know this too for my minolta system... upzzz!!!

eh, minolta is easiest to do this setup lor...

if use 7D, set flash to wireless, pop up flash up.

then 5600 or 3600 set to wireless, then put at strategic places, remember to face the IR receiver at the camera line of sight. viola... wireless...

on 7 even better... buy the wireless flash transmitter, can trigger 4 groups.

i'm firing humans.so it's ok.wont be scared off by preflashes.
so what do i set on my flash?AA mode or iTTL BL or iTTL?:dunno:
and i minus ev from my flash settings or from my d200 body?or are they the same?

Now, you have to read the manual to figure out how to set your SB-800 to be a slave. The SB-600 is pretty simple. All I need to do is to push 2 buttons on the lower left side together and it will reflect a separate menu for wireless control. Turn it on and check the Channel and group settings.

I prefer to keep mine to Channel 1 group A as the default is for Channel 3... the ev control is on the D200 camera. You'd need to go to the menu to control the pop-up flash to be a commander and you can set the ev control for :

a) the pop up flash
b) group a
c) groub b
(can't recall if there is a group c)

Cheers,

and

on my experience.. had to dial the settings urself.theres noway ur camera would know how far is ur flash from ur subject.sori im using su800 to trigger it.so cant teach u stepbystep.but im sure u dnt need cable .

on my experience.. had to dial the settings urself.theres noway ur camera would know how far is ur flash from ur subject.sori im using su800 to trigger it.so cant teach u stepbystep.but im sure u dnt need cable .

maybe su800 will be my new toy...

what are the advantages of having su800?can dial in compensation directly?

SU800 is good stuff. :thumbsup:

anyway, do u mean CLS? CLS provides iTTL metering and flash.

maybe we can haf a CLS portraiture shoot one day ideally in the evening, to practise CLS shooting and learn from one and another.

Flash EV and EV both different thing.
If you want to reduce the output power of the Flash, do a minus EV on the Flash. If you do a EV minus on the D200 body, you are reducing the overall exposure value.

If you want to reduce the output power of the Flash, do a minus EV on the Flash. If you do a EV minus on the D200 body, you are reducing the overall exposure value.

Eh... wireless control of the flash ev is done on the camera :sweat: ;)

Francis, you can also do a flash eV on the body as well (by holding down the pop-up flash button and turning the sub-command dial)

Up to you whether you do the dialing of the flash eV adjustment on the flash or the body. If you change between using your internal flash and a speedlight, probably best to do it on the body as you just have one location to make the changes (also take note that flash eV adjustments on the flash and body are cumulative).

If you are doing wireless, with the internal as the commander, you need to dial in the flash eV adjustments for each wireless group in the menu where you set your internal flash mode to commander.

Francis, you can also do a flash eV on the body as well (by holding down the pop-up flash button and turning the sub-command dial)

Up to you whether you do the dialing of the flash eV adjustment on the flash or the body. If you change between using your internal flash and a speedlight, probably best to do it on the body as you just have one location to make the changes (also take note that flash eV adjustments on the flash and body are cumulative).

If you are doing wireless, with the internal as the commander, you need to dial in the flash eV adjustments for each wireless group in the menu where you set your internal flash mode to commander.

Hey Som,

Thanks for the clarification. ;)

Most of the time, I do my Flash EV adjustment on the Flash (SB-800) itself, I tried wireless with my SB-800 before, haven't got chance to try out a SU-800 yet. ;p

yeap u can control everything there.groups and channels plus thier respective +- ev...u can check out my thread shoot of nina.

You must be thinking of the D70 where the pop-up flash button and the flash ev button is the same. But on the D200, the flash ev button is below the pop-up flash button....

Note that this adjustment does not help when you're using the pop-up as a wireless controller.

but the d200 body also has a flash compensation button.:dunno:

SU800 is good stuff. :thumbsup:

anyway, do u mean CLS? CLS provides iTTL metering and flash.

maybe we can haf a CLS portraiture shoot one day ideally in the evening, to practise CLS shooting and learn from one and another.

can CLS be used during the evenings?or even in broad day light such as full blown sun to reduce harsh shadows?

yeap u can control everything there.groups and channels plus thier respective +- ev...u can check out my thread shoot of nina.

so su800 can control the wireless flash in a more 'convenient' way...right?

it can control how many groups?and how many flashes per group?

i only have a sb800 and sb26.does that justify in getting the su800?

also, when using su800, if there's another photographer beside me firing the flash, will it trigger off my 'off camera' sb800?

sounds good!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.