Of swallows, ducks and pigeons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerstorer

Jul 8, 2002
Tried my hand at some bird shooting, didn't really get the angles I wanted but guess I'll have to start somewhere.:)

DUCKS0014.jpg

Juvenile Pacific Swallow

DUCKS0083.jpg

Lesser-Whistling Duck

DUCKS0090.jpg

Pink-Necked Pigeon

Hi Zerstorer, good first attempts there! I like your Pink-necked Pigeon shot, nice colours and good details. Well exposed too. :thumbsup:

Keep shooting!

These are excellent shots, the details and exposure of esp the 1st & last shot are spot on.

The composition of the 2nd shot is excellent, esp with the golden light falling onto the back of the neck down.

The 2nd is my fav, even though I would personally like the DOF to cover up to the beak and the face to be abit more exposed.

Whatever, they are still excellent :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

a very good attempt the light is nice too :thumbsup:

Nice :thumbsup:

What range zoom / prime ??mm u were using. I thinking of trying out bird photographic, but not sure my 70 200 if couple with x2 TC enough or not.

Thanks for the kind words. Hope to net some better shots in future.

Geoyip: These were taken with a Sigma 70-200 + 2X TC.:)

Didn't know you are into such stuffs too Zerstorer :D

Excellent attempts, love the ambient lighting you have there, keep shooting! :)
Just dabbling in something that I've not tried before.:)

Been drooling at some of your shots recently.:thumbsup:

70-200mm Sigma + Sigma APO 2X Teleconvertor.
Works out to be a 140-400mm f5.6.

Focal length was at full 400mm for all three shots with apertures f8, f6.3, f8 respectively.

Zerstorer said:
70-200mm Sigma + Sigma APO 2X Teleconvertor.
Works out to be a 140-400mm f5.6.

Focal length was at full 400mm for all three shots with apertures f8, f6.3, f8 respectively.

Sweet... and how much would that lense plus TC cost? :)

Like yourself, i have been drooling over the bird shots of our nature shooters here... ;)

New prices ~$1280 for the lens and ~$280 for the TC.
However, I must say that this is a suboptimal combination for this purpose, a 400mm prime might be a better idea in terms of portability and image sharpness. The 2xTC causes a noticeable drop in sharpness and contrast. Also I must add that these images have been cropped slightly although I was already quite close.

You may want to ask the regulars for a better recommendation for this purpose if you are considering purchasing. Methinks even the Sigma 50-500f4.5-6.3(~$1700) should be a better choice. The more focal length the merrier..its always not enough.:)

Zerstorer said:
New prices ~$1280 for the lens and ~$280 for the TC.
However, I must say that this is a suboptimal combination for this purpose, a 400mm prime might be a better idea in terms of portability and image sharpness. The 2xTC causes a noticeable drop in sharpness and contrast. Also I must add that these images have been cropped slightly although I was already quite close.

You may want to ask the regulars for a better recommendation for this purpose if you are considering purchasing. Methinks even the Sigma 50-500f4.5-6.3(~$1700) should be a better choice. The more focal length the merrier..its always not enough.:)

Ouch... :bheart:

Regular birdshooetrs, any recommandations? :)

Hiee pals....

I'm really keen in trying out the shoots...with you birdshooters.....!!!!!
Hopefully i can make it for ine of the shoots in the future..!!!!!

Was that Pink-necked pidgeon from SBG??

rgds,
sulhan

Wolfgang said:
Ouch... :bheart:

Regular birdshooetrs, any recommandations? :)

600mm F4 ! :D

Or you can use a 300F4 + 1.4TC which is very good for close range and flight shots

300mm F2.8 + 2X TC can give very good results too (look at Fred's posts)

Harlequin said:
600mm F4 ! :D

Or you can use a 300F4 + 1.4TC which is very good for close range and flight shots

300mm F2.8 + 2X TC can give very good results too (look at Fred's posts)

:what: :embrass: Erm... a tad bit expensive honestly.... :sweat:

Seriously, any more recommandations for something more "economical"? :embrass:

Wolfgang said:
Seriously, any more recommandations for something more "economical"? :embrass:
Wolfie, get the Sigma 50-500 lar. About $1,600 new, perhaps $1,200 2nd hand. Good value for money. :) Else if you can stretch your budget a bit more, perhaps a 100-40O IS or 400 f5.6 prime would do too.

Harlequin said:
heard Garion buying a 800mm F5.6 soon.... ;p
Huh? I got say meh? :think: More like "tan ku ku".... :bsmilie:

Garion said:
Wolfie, get the Sigma 50-500 lar. About $1,600 new, perhaps $1,200 2nd hand. Good value for money. :) Else if you can stretch your budget a bit more, perhaps a 100-40O IS or 400 f5.6 prime would do too.

Huh? I got say meh? :think: More like "tan ku ku".... :bsmilie:

100mm-400mm IS? :) And how much would that be? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.