Of money power, self-marketing and photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
I'm wondering about the power of self-marketing and the power of money over true arts.

With the surge of popular 'classic pop musicians' on the musical end and with the cheap and wide availability of consumer digital SLR systems. It makes u wonder if those who definitely have the financial muscle and those who are able to self-market and self-package themselves so effectively that crap can be simply marketed as gold?

What do u guys think of the power of self-marketing vs arts with true value?

Erm.... ok.

Arts as a whole. Not specifically restricted to 1 area (like music/photography).

Paiseh but flu tablets + cough syrup is a deadly combo of head spinner.... :confused:

i dunno. I think having the money muscle does help definitely. My cousin told me that her school mate is into photography as well and is younger than me but has all the bells and whistles bigger than mine and takes fantastic photos when he travels overseas.

I replied her "When I was her age, I couldn't even afford to buy a FM receiver much less a camera. Don't even think of travelling overseas. So what made you think that at his age he paid for his camera and travel expenses to build his portfolio?" I only had a P&S at that time and shot a lot during 1 time but the film development costs was too high for me to bear. :(

Hmm.... thus have money can really go places even if the photos are nothing more than snapshots without any meaningful composition behind it?

jsbn said:
I'm wondering about the power of self-marketing and the power of money over true arts.

With the surge of popular 'classic pop musicians' on the musical end and with the cheap and wide availability of consumer digital SLR systems. It makes u wonder if those who definitely have the financial muscle and those who are able to self-market and self-package themselves so effectively that crap can be simply marketed as gold?

What do u guys think of the power of self-marketing vs arts with true value?

Images normally sell themselves. But they need to have the exposure.

Some do it with more subtlety than the others.

Hmm... But in this 2 fast 2 furious world, where aggressive self-marketing hits home, ppl are quick to cash in on one-hit wonder fads (frm classical pop, wannabe photographers to lousy bubble tea and wannabe aquarium shops selling luohan fishes), does it mean subtle marketing is enroute to hell?

talking about music... I think musician thesedays are not as good as of yesteryears. That is despite the backward analogue technology they have. Now with state of the art digital multi-track recording studios, the quality is still not as good.

There is still the human factor and talent to it. With digital SLR, we beginning to see lots of impatient people behing the camera and there is a saying... you can't rush art. However, there are some really good photographers out there, on par with those from the film era.

Status
Not open for further replies.