Of Events, Flash and Large Aperture Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sougen

Dec 6, 2008
Across the Causeway
'Sup, guys. Just wanna offer some questions to throw around here.

To start off, I'm on the Canon 450D. My plan is to rent a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and a Speedlite 580EX II for the upcoming Cosfest 2009. Previously, there had been some photos taken last Saturday at Suntec (Games 'Xpo 2009). I've taken a look at some of these pictures, and the common thing I see from them is the use of a flash unit to fill in the lights in an otherwise dark environs.

Reading around the forums here, I noticed that the common refraint was to use prime lenses if I forgo the flash unit: the large apertures these lenses allow more light to enter.

My primary purpose for the event is to "record down the events as it happens." My secondary purpose is to "take the lovely portraits of each cosplayer in their full splendour."

So, a 450D (sad to say, gentlemen, I want to stick with my DSLR now), a 17-55mm f/2.8 lens (will be saving up for this baby before November), and a 580EX II. Is it a wise decision, or do you have any other comments that you can bring up?

17-55mm 2.8 is not really that fast for low light photography. The IS is very helpful but it still won't stop movements.
I would rather get a Sigma 30mm 1.4. Its much cheaper, and gives an equivalent view of normal lens (40-50mm) which is the only one lens needed for journalistic kind of shoots. Careful with the AF though, you'll need to hassle the salesperson for a good copy.

For flash, I think you can save even more by getting the 430. Later on you can get a 580 and use it for mastering the 430 slave.

30mm u will lose yr wides..

So, a 450D (sad to say, gentlemen, I want to stick with my DSLR now), a 17-55mm f/2.8 lens (will be saving up for this baby before November), and a 580EX II. Is it a wise decision, or do you have any other comments that you can bring up?

What's sad about using a 450D?
From my POV the setup is fine. The lens should cover everything that happens closer to you. But do take note of the shallow Depth of Field at f/2.8. Do some tests in advance and do some calculations: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

'Sup, guys. Just wanna offer some questions to throw around here.

To start off, I'm on the Canon 450D. My plan is to rent a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and a Speedlite 580EX II for the upcoming Cosfest 2009. Previously, there had been some photos taken last Saturday at Suntec (Games 'Xpo 2009). I've taken a look at some of these pictures, and the common thing I see from them is the use of a flash unit to fill in the lights in an otherwise dark environs.

Reading around the forums here, I noticed that the common refraint was to use prime lenses if I forgo the flash unit: the large apertures these lenses allow more light to enter.

My primary purpose for the event is to "record down the events as it happens." My secondary purpose is to "take the lovely portraits of each cosplayer in their full splendour."

what a coincidence..i myself got invited for the event. :)

Just to ask, have you ever done events shoot before? You can come earlier and recce the place first as well as test your settings.

In my opinion, an 18-55mm MKII IS is good for floor shots with Fill Flash. For stage shots, the 50-250mm IS if more then enough with generous use of the 580EX so be sure to bring extra batteries. An all in one solution would be the 18-200 but more or less have to pray the ETTL is accurate unless you are fast enough to change flash settings for close range and long range.

When in doubt, switch to Auto and Raw. More or less you will be using Spot focusing most of the time as well as Continuous Drive rather then Single Shot.

Last edited:
When in doubt, switch to Auto and Raw. More or less you will be using Spot focusing most of the time as well as Continuous Drive rather then Single Shot.

What's that? ;) And why gunning down an event with Continuous Drive? Be selective, it's not Half Live ...

What's that? ;) And why gunning down an event with Continuous Drive? Be selective, it's not Half Live ...
its my style when doing events..better to have too much to choose from then too little. And also, definitely dont want to be in Single Shot when something totally candid happens...made that mistake too many times already when starting out.

What's sad about using a 450D?
From my POV the setup is fine. The lens should cover everything that happens closer to you. But do take note of the shallow Depth of Field at f/2.8. Do some tests in advance and do some calculations: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

I'm covering any pending arguments of not renting a better camera for the event ("Hey, if you are gonna rent some flash and lens, might as well rent the camera, too!"). I prefer the portability of the 450D. The 5DMKII can wait until I've progressed much further into my hobby.

what a coincidence..i myself got invited for the event. :)

Just to ask, have you ever done events shoot before? You can come earlier and recce the place first as well as test your settings.

In my opinion, an 18-55mm MKII IS is good for floor shots with Fill Flash. For stage shots, the 50-250mm IS if more then enough with generous use of the 580EX so be sure to bring extra batteries. An all in one solution would be the 18-200 but more or less have to pray the ETTL is accurate unless you are fast enough to change flash settings for close range and long range.

Strange, I owned both lenses. I was gonna rent the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM to test it out. I was probably gonna aim for it for my future purchase (I'm saving my money at the moment). P.S.: Searching on Google on '18-55mm MKII IS' gave me a Pentaxian lens. Cool :D

its my style when doing events..better to have too much to choose from then too little. And also, definitely dont want to be in Single Shot when something totally candid happens...made that mistake too many times already when starting out.

...Tell me about it. I was at the X-Fighters Exhibition Tour; I literally hopped onto other people's flash lights to capture the motorcross bikers, and that can only happen on a Continuous Drive, thanks for pointing that out. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.