Of Detractors and Trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

student

Jul 26, 2004
Time and again, we see these words being brandied around, usually by people to describe others who do not agree with them. And strangely, these words are also used most often by people who champion the notion of free speech and directness in speeech.

I was fascinated by the meaning of these words. And being a rather bad wordsmith, I decided to look up the dictionary to find out the meaning of these words.

I found some rather enlightening observations from online dictionaries.

Detractor/s:

"One who attacks the reputation of another by slander and libel."

"One who disparages, belittle, or take away the worth of another or to diminish the worth of another."

"Verb: to diminish the importance or worth of another/something"

So when one call another person a detractor, he is saying that

1 He has something important to say. That what he said was something of worth.

2 That the other person had slander his reputation, or cast libellious comments on his reputation.

Are these facts, or the creation of fickled imaginations arising from a deluded sense of self-importance?

I will submit that those who call others "detractors" are the ones most qualified by their actions to be labelled "detractors". There are ample evidences in this forum to prove that.

In actual fact, most often, the alleged "detractors" were merely giving alternative points of views.

Troll/s:

"One who posts a deliberately provocative message"

"One who delberately (that purpose being self amusement) starts an argument which attacks others on a forum with in anyway listening to the arguments of others, and has no substance or relevance to back up his argument."

Again is this true or fact?

I submit that those who use this word suffer from a sense (deluded) of self importance. Again, the ones who often called others "trolls" are often trolls themselves. They just dish out the word without even listening to the point of views of others.

:angel:

my england no good.. but i thought trolls is what hides under the bridges and capture children for their dinner? and detractors is part of the transformers arsenal of autobots right??? :bsmilie:

and the story goes di da di,
di da di da di da di da di da di..

these 2 types of people dun sound like good people to me. :embrass:

Are you referring to the one excellent example of a troll right in this thread?

A classic example of a troll.

student ah student,
if you really have free time, why not shoot more pics and show your audience?
IIRC, you have a whole group of supporters in your pants.

why want to start these flamebaits threads?:dunno:
whatever it is, good luck lor.

ya ya...i'm a troll, or banshee, or siren.so?
just because i stand with deadpoet in his arguments against yours in your previous fiasco, that makes me your personal troll?

please lah...get a life ya?tot you suppose to be saving lives?
i wont reply anymore.flame me freely.:kiss:

these are labels only... same like when you wear levis and prada... its only labels, what makes you a unique is the things you post...

problem is does TS actually does his own self evaluation before actually shooting off his load?

no offense, just a query, you can skip it, or am i still in your ignore list.

these are labels only... same like when you wear levis and prada... its only labels, what makes you a unique is the things you post...

problem is does TS actually does his own self evaluation before actually shooting off his load?

POLL! POLL! POLL!

A classic example of a troll.

I don't see how that fits into your 2 description

- "One who posts a deliberately provocative message"

- "One who delberately (that purpose being self amusement) starts an argument which attacks others on a forum with in anyway listening to the arguments of others, and has no substance or relevance to back up his argument."

Was the song lyrics provocative? or was that an argument with no substance? I wun call it provocative nor an argument..:dunno:

This is kopitiam for goodness sake. Can you troll in kopitiam? :think:

Levis is bad boy prada is evil. So all bad boys wear Levis and all devils wear prada. Kopitiam! Talk is free no need any evaluation or qualification! ALL CAN POST!

De Tractor

Troll

Status
Not open for further replies.