of bears and a stalk of daisy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayie1786

Nov 18, 2007
CCK
A good day to all CSers, i would like to seek your C&C for the following picture...

_MG_0005.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 1000D
Lens: 50mm f/1.8
Exposure: 1/60 sec @ f/3.5
ISO: 100
Flash: Fired (Canon 580 EX I)

These are generally the specific areas i would like to seek critique on:

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
- Composition wise, would it be better to have the whole flower in the frame rather than cropping it so?
- Focus wise, would it be better to have the whole picture in focus rather than only the daisy?
- Is the colour here acceptable or flat?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- To invoke a sense of warmth by the bears hugging in the background, seemingly looking at the daisy (which my girlfriend nick named the "sun" btw). This is also the reason why I had it focused on the daisy.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- Photo was taken in the comfort of my room, using my window blind as a background as i wanted a 'clean' one to work with. I guess I was feeling all hyped up on receiving those as a gift from my girlfriend who wanted to cheer me up since I'm on long MC.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
- I forgot to remove the 'string' at the top of the bears head, and I personally think it is slightly distracting.

Check your focusing. non of the key items is in focus. If you wish to have a bear looking on the sunflower, you have to get either 1 sharp. But both are apparently blur.

Nice try.

Check your focusing. non of the key items is in focus. If you wish to have a bear looking on the sunflower, you have to get either 1 sharp. But both are apparently blur.

Nice try.

noted with thanks... i actually did not realize that it was not in focus... thanks for the heads up...

Sorry to disappoint you, all your items doesn't go.

Composition, colour co-ordination,focusing, mismatch items,etc.

In another word..this is a plate of rojak, somehow doesn't taste good.

The only good point is using of window light.

Sorry to disappoint you, all your items doesn't go.

Composition, colour co-ordination,focusing, mismatch items,etc.

In another word..this is a plate of rojak, somehow doesn't taste good.

The only good point is using of window light.

noted... well all the items there actually came straight from the shop... as a single 'item'

thank you however for ur honest critique:)

there's a good shot...under mother's day, contributed by a lady photographer, worth take a look.

Perhaps the bundle as packaged by the shop is an effective sale's gimmick, but when use in photography...it's another story entirely.

Something that looks good, may not be photographically good...that why the word...photogenic.

Last edited:
its focusing on the flower right...?? so its like u are advertising the flower instead of the bear...

cheers...

this can be a greeting card picture :)

the main idea of the picture is there, apparently you wanted the flower in focus with both bears being bokehed out. but the flower is slightly blurred when it should be sharp. shoot this tighter because the space on the right side is redundant, while the flower's top and left side is missing.

other than the composition and the off-focus flower, this idea would work. do take your time and compose properly, and do not be lazy in taking multiple pictures from different angles and settings so you would be able to choose the best image after uploading to a pc.

if you focus is on the flower, then ur bokeh areas should not be so large and centralised.
it becomes very distracting and total waste of space.
try the focus on the bears and bokeh out the flowers.

one other thing, there is this silver-like thing between the bear and the flower
kinda of distracting and out of place.
watch small details like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.