Odex still on warpath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still on war path? Go ahead, I guess no one's stopping them AND eventually they might emerge victorious at a very heavy cost to the entire market AND thanks to them, those smaller shops at Sunshine Plaza's gonna have a hell of a time. :thumbsup:

this shows the inconsistancy in our legal system. One Judge says cannot and get another judge and the judge will tell you it's ok. So what's ok and what's not? Our legan system is a mess.

This is normal lah. Else why you need lawyers for?

this shows the inconsistancy in our legal system. One Judge says cannot and get another judge and the judge will tell you it's ok. So what's ok and what's not? Our legan system is a mess.

Still on war path? Go ahead, I guess no one's stopping them AND eventually they might emerge victorious at a very heavy cost to the entire market AND thanks to them, those smaller shops at Sunshine Plaza's gonna have a hell of a time. :thumbsup:

If and when they emerge victorious, their next target will almost certainly be bootlegs. And many titles have to be removed from the shelves.

If integrity and morality takes a back step, a business entity will only continue to do what's most profitable.

Not giving up are they... :confused:

U mean those shops selling anime goods? More of anime merchandise than actual anime titles lar. AFAIK only one shop got sell/rent anime DVDs and manga and thats Anime House.

If integrity and morality takes a back step,

such as evidenced by rampant piracy,

a business entity will only continue to do what's most profitable.

And hopefully set a mark that petty crime is not acceptable and that pirating Japanese animation is not a human right.

Shops are going lelong lelong, buy one get one free....

And the price(s) are already slashed by half, everybody desperately trying to clear Odex's stock. :bsmilie: Think after clearing they won't be bringing in anymore stock from Odex, so now it's the only chance to get some cash from the community before Odex closes down? :bsmilie:

as long as odex can sell its stuff to tv stations it won't be folding anytime soon.

And hopefully set a mark that petty crime is not acceptable and that pirating Japanese animation is not a human right.
And with high-handed methods akin to that of the RIAA that disgusts the very market which they are supposed to capture through education & better products in the first place?

2 :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'd say. :bsmilie:

P/S: If there's something truly unique, I'd say that in this case, 'pirated' stuff have way better quality than the real mccoy. Isn't it something very questionable when it shld actually be the other way round? :bsmilie:

i guess the financial rewards are just too big to ignore ......:think:
but didnt i hear it correctly that these will be donated?

And with high-handed methods akin to that of the RIAA that disgusts the very market which they are supposed to capture through education & better products in the first place?

2 :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'd say. :bsmilie:

I hope you'll advocate the same next time when someone complains about his/her photos being used without consent.

P/S: If there's something truly unique, I'd say that in this case, 'pirated' stuff have way better quality than the real mccoy. Isn't it something very questionable when it shld actually be the other way round? :bsmilie:

No. If I took a book, corrected the typesetting errors, and republished it, it would still be piracy. It's not a difficult concept at all. If something doesn't belong to you, leave it alone.

The company doesn't owe it to you to "capture the market" or offer "better products". If you're not happy with the products, don't buy them. But don't steal them either.

I hope you'll advocate the same next time when someone complains about his/her photos being used without consent.

No. If I took a book, corrected the typesetting errors, and republished it, it would still be piracy. It's not a difficult concept at all. If something doesn't belong to you, leave it alone.

The company doesn't owe it to you to "capture the market" or offer "better products". If you're not happy with the products, don't buy them. But don't steal them either.

Oversimplifying an entire issue. I'll keep it simple for you. Odex claimed money from people who infringed copyrights (yes, those who have infringed copyrights, need to bear legal consequences) BUT for copyrights that they DO NOT own.

If you need analogies to understand that, I can make it simpler. CS cannot claim copyright infringment against me, if I downloaded your photo posted here on CS and use it as my own. You can file against me. But unless you have empowered CS to do so, CS cannot.

That's what Odex did, and gave different justifications each time they're hammered down with questions. The ignorance of the kids and the general public paid their "compensation" or "out of court settlement" not knowing that they would still be liable to be prosecuted by the law, and face legal actions by the copyrights owners.

Don't believe me? Ask them to send the same 'letter' they sent to the first round of 'offendees' to lawyers who had downloaded unlicensed anime whose copyrights that don't belong to them. See what happens. Do yourself a favour and get educated on your facts before assuming your position at your favourite moral highground.

The book would be plagarism as well as copywrite infringement, same thing with the photos. And yea even though the company doesn't owe it to anyone to offer better products or capture the market, IT IS bad business practice to just go and blame your consumers for your poor sales instead of trying to improve your services/products so demand will be created. Attacking your consumer is just suicide in business no matter how justified you may think you are. Not to mentioned the unethical things that the firm's reps have done. To me it is very apparent that NUS Biz school is very lacking in teaching this to their students if this is what 2 of their alum have been doing.

Oversimplifying an entire issue.

Agreed. It's just being glib on the issue.

different issues. pls read up on the past threads with rgds to our fiendly Xedo.

BUT why is everyone so worked up about this?

Odex can do pretty much what they think it is right. I don't really kow what is right as legal stuff is pretty complicated.

Seriously, why all the hate against Odex? Personally, I don't really care either way, cuz I don't work in Odex, and I don't download anime.... The courts will decide what is right and Odex is perfectly entitled to getting what they want through the legal channels.

Common, they are not spray painting people's houses, or putting pigs head, etc. Why all the hate?

BUT why is everyone so worked up about this?

Odex can do pretty much what they think it is right. I don't really kow what is right as legal stuff is pretty complicated.

Seriously, why all the hate against Odex? Personally, I don't really care either way, cuz I don't work in Odex, and I don't download anime.... The courts will decide what is right and Odex is perfectly entitled to getting what they want through the legal channels.

Common, they are not spray painting people's houses, or putting pigs head, etc. Why all the hate?

you imagine that someone had some riduclous claim that you're causing his business to drop just because you're not buying his product. Then he goes and tries to make you pay up by threatening you with a lawsuit with which he absolutely has no basis or grounds to claim damages. then he goes and says several statements in the media proclaiming how righteous he is while contradicting himself especially saying that people are like you are what's causing businesses in the market to fail. And he's doing this while stepping on everyone and violating people's privacy. how would you react then?

Status
Not open for further replies.