Odex Directors wanna sue anime downloaders in Singapore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FooFighter

Jan 16, 2006
Singapore
For those who are not sure what this is about, here are some links.

Starhub ordered to reveal customers who download videos illegally

Most Hated Most Wanted

Anime downloading, an alternative perspective

I am confused as to how this company can win the case. Some people commented that although Odex has the rights to distribute the anime, but they don't own the anime, so how can they demand money from downloaders?

I think this guy is trying to pull a fast one... :angry:

For those who are not sure what this is about, here are some links.

Starhub ordered to reveal customers who download videos illegally

Most Hated Most Wanted

Anime downloading, an alternative perspective

I am confused as to how this company can win the case. Some people commented that although Odex has the rights to distribute the anime, but they don't own the anime, so how can they demand money from downloaders?

I think this guy is trying to pull a fast one... :angry:

Simple, he bought the distribution rights to the Anime. Depending on the deal he made, he could have exclusive rights to them. Also he could be acting on behalf of the owners of the anime. Afterall downloading anime or any copyrighted material is not legal.

Must admit though he is abit excessive as in demanding compensation fee of few thousands.....

There is already an online petition against Odex. Their DVD set's quality is like VCD like that. Sucks.

Its just like the music industry suing its customers again...as if this is going to get him more sales :sweat:

lol finally this surface on cs.

But ppl like jsbn really sick of reading odex threads liao :bsmilie:

To me, this is an extortion that can only succeed in singapore. :thumbsd:

Its just like the music industry suing its customers again...as if this is going to get him more sales :sweat:

Depends... with the release of the name list, he can shut down the downloads for a while. How? Levy the maximum 5000 compenstation on a few individuals and make sure it get blown sky high in the news as a warning.

Depends... with the release of the name list, he can shut down the downloads for a while. How? Levy the maximum 5000 compenstation on a few individuals and make sure it get blown sky high in the news as a warning.

true but it sure as heck makes me not want to buy stuff from him. What he did is just an act of desperation to keep his company from going under. People will just want to boycott his products even more, especially if its low quality like someone else said.

Online petition is usually quite useless in Singapore.

In Singapore's history, there hasn't been any cases of civil suit brought against individuals whom have downloaded songs, movies or software yet. Top of it, many of those whom downloads are actually minor and that, civil suits could rule in favour of them, holding the minor not responsible for their actions.

However, many of these parents actually paid up when letters are issued. It would actually be interesting to have a civil suit as it will be a precedent case. I am just wondering how would have happened if a civil suit is served and that, the parents did not engaged a lawyer. My bet is that there is nothing much the company can do.

However, it is in the best of the company's interest to do that. Firstly, they can use it to serve as a warning to others, irregardless animes, songs, movies or software, that justice can be done. Secondly, anime lovers will support the original and thus, keep the industry alive. Also, it can be a education to the future generation on the issues of copyright and piracy.

Lastly, I am not advocating illegal downloads nor promoting piracy.

lol finally this surface on cs.

But ppl like jsbn really sick of reading odex threads liao :bsmilie:

To me, this is an extortion that can only succeed in singapore. :thumbsd:
Tell me. For 2wks continuously, at least 5 threads on the front page dedicated to that issue.

Its not so much a legal issue but of a moral/ethics one now (if u guys look at the company's business model, u'll think about the whys).

The sticking point can be simply put into this line of argument, "Who cares whether its ethical/moral or not? Its legal! That's all it matters!"

Which goes? U guys decide.

The RIAA also pissed off a lot of people in US, by going after the MP3 downloaders, especially the college kids. They tried to get the names of the college kids from the colleges (based on IP addresses) but most colleges did not release the names to them.

Tell me. For 2wks continuously, at least 5 threads on the front page dedicated to that issue.

Its not so much a legal issue but of a moral/ethics one now (if u guys look at the company's business model, u'll think about the whys).

The sticking point can be simply put into this line of argument, "Who cares whether its ethical/moral or not? Its legal! That's all it matters!"

Which goes? U guys decide.

i'm not following you about their biz model...can explain?

why don't odex just post the vids for paid download
sounds viable

Problem is for paid downloads, credit cards are usually the main mode of payment. However, more than 50% of the anime fanatics are minors and do not own credit card. Furthermore, most parents are not willing to allow their children to use their credit card for animes.

this is unbelievable :bigeyes: really bad for the anime market in singapore ... i always think that business models need to adapt to changes in demand, not the other way

this is unbelievable :bigeyes: really bad for the anime market in singapore ... i always think that business models need to adapt to changes in demand, not the other way

agreed but unfortunately most businesses want instant gratification instead of changing to survive for the long run.

I wonder how many will go for paid downloads considering they can download elsewhere for free. It's the same situation for other media, music, movies, TV serials, etc. The way to fight back is not by suing the downloaders (who may be potential customers) but to offer more value for the paid version, like nowadays, if you buy a music CD, you get fancy packaging, manual, sometimes even a video thrown in. Real fans will be attracted to buy these original sets.

yeah businesses need to embrace the internet for distribution

maybe the content owners should do it instead
cut out the middle men and reduce prices

post the vids on itunes

I wonder how many will go for paid downloads considering they can download elsewhere for free. It's the same situation for other media, music, movies, TV serials, etc. The way to fight back is not by suing the downloaders (who may be potential customers) but to offer more value for the paid version, like nowadays, if you buy a music CD, you get fancy packaging, manual, sometimes even a video thrown in. Real fans will be attracted to buy these original sets.

how about quality vids and fan club membership

Status
Not open for further replies.