ocean 11

thelight

Jun 8, 2010
34.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
exposure.
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
consistency
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
cold chlly nite at 11pm strollling 'the strip' in Las Vegas when Bellagio fountain started playing. Tripod used. Settings : F/2.8, 1/13 sec, iso 400, 11mm focal length.
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
compostion wise, it's ok. cannot stand directly in front of hotel as there's no niche for people to stand there. did not like the clarity. wonder if it would be better if i use a higher f stop but as u can see, i can only manage 1/13sec with iso 400. by using higher f stop, the people would be 'blurred'. what i wanted was "Bellagio" at the crown of the hotel to be visible. any suggestions. C&C welcome.

Personally, I quite like the exposure of this photo. The shutter speed looks about just right, having the people looking still and still able to convey that the water is shooting up pretty fast.

I can see clearly that the left lamp post is a lot sharper than the right one and as well as rest of the photo when compare the left side of the photo to the right side.

Since, you are using a tripod, it is better to attempt to shoot with a smaller aperture for a couple of reason. 1. Shoot at or close to the "sweet spot" (eg. sharpness) of the lens. Probably around f8. and 2. A good depth of field. To get nicely sharp overall photo.

Composition wise, probably I will take a couple of steps left to align the centre of the building with the centre of the stone railings. And then a number more steps backward to get the whole water jet and the stones where the lamp post sit on. You can always crop back to tidy up the photo during pp. Probably I will zoom in a bit to reduce the distortion when you are shooting really wide. A distorted human don't really looks good unless this is what you are after.

Last edited:
Personally, I quite like the exposure of this photo. The shutter speed looks about just right, having the people looking still and still able to convey that the water is shooting up pretty fast.

I can see clearly that the left lamp post is a lot sharper than the right one and as well as rest of the photo when compare the left side of the photo to the right side.

Since, you are using a tripod, it is better to attempt to shoot with a smaller aperture for a couple of reason. 1. Shoot at or close to the "sweet spot" (eg. sharpness) of the lens. Probably around f8. and 2. A good depth of field. To get nicely sharp overall photo.

Composition wise, probably I will take a couple of steps left to align the centre of the building with the centre of the stone railings. And then a number more steps backward to get the whole water jet and the stones where the lamp post sit on. You can always crop back to tidy up the photo during pp. Probably I will zoom in a bit to reduce the distortion when you are shooting really wide. A distorted human don't really looks good unless this is what you are after.

thanx bro coolthought,
you are right about the symmetry.
but if i were bring the f stop to 8 or higher,
my shutter speed would be notably slower and may result in blurred people and water display won't it? bringing the iso higher probably can rectify it but only so much and may result in harsher lights.
thanx for your input and when's the next kopi gtg?
cheers.!!

are there 11 people inside the photo? did i miscalculate?
only saw 9 people and 1 statue

not a fan - too much distortion and too many things going on.

are there 11 people inside the photo? did i miscalculate?
only saw 9 people and 1 statue

:bsmilie: i'm guessing you think the guy in the middle of the picture is a statue. it's actually a guy in a hoodie. if you look at the bottom of the frame you can see his shoes.

yup there's only 10 people.

i think the only reason why TS named the picture thus is to try to bring us to the feel of the ending of the show.

:bsmilie: i'm guessing you think the guy in the middle of the picture is a statue. it's actually a guy in a hoodie. if you look at the bottom of the frame you can see his shoes.

yup there's only 10 people.

i think the only reason why TS named the picture thus is to try to bring us to the feel of the ending of the show.

Unless TS is number 11:bsmilie:

If brighten the picture, on the right of the picture, it seems to have 3 heads, so is it a couple carrying a child? If that is the case, altogether there are indeed 11 person.

LOL!! you guys crack me up.
going way OT here.
the pic just reminded me of the ending of 'ocean 11' where all the guys were standing after 'the operation'. everyone except for Danny Ocean as he was arrested, remember?
but thats not the point of the posting.
i'm just interested what the seniors and pros would have done to achieve a better results in terms of sharpness and exposure given the circumstances.
thank you for the '11' speculations and theories though.
quite entertaining.