Occupation and outlook on life

Do u think ur career will have an impact on how u view things?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think EVERYTHING on earth has impact on a person, just whatever it is big impact, small impact or microscopic impact.

It seems like alot of you do not enjoy working in the IT industry.

Hmmm for my case, I just quit my engineering job recently and intend to look for an IT job (got an IT degree but no IT experience at all).

Reading all the replies...I am getting abit disheartened.....

Adam Goi said:
I suppose it works both ways ...

Sounds like the chicken and egg analogy...

So which iz which? is it the way you preceives that makes what you do, or what you do that mold your preception?

I take the logical progression path. I'm a typical Coder, or because I'm a coder, therefore I take the see things logically?...

enegue said:
It seems like alot of you do not enjoy working in the IT industry.

Hmmm for my case, I just quit my engineering job recently and intend to look for an IT job (got an IT degree but no IT experience at all).

Reading all the replies...I am getting abit disheartened.....

No no... IT is a vast field... I started from mainframe then client server and finally web. I enjoyed solving problems (and creating these problem so people pay me to solve them) and making programs. But you are not expected to keep programming if you want to be "successful". First you share the workload... then learn to designate... then coordinate with team leaders who designate... and later on the only programming you will still use is the preferences under MS Word... maybe draw some pretty charts along the way. But once you reach this part, the programmer inside you have long since died. I don't want this passion to disappear that is why I wanna save me from "corporate zombie-ism". BTW, I am also an electronics engineer degree holder but a part-time terrorist since all the things I build have a tendency to explode so switched to IT.

IT people tend to scrutinise the individual parts but fail horribly to recognize that sometimes the whole is greater than the sum. This is the main reason why most coders remain coders and never get to become architects.

DeusExMachina said:
IT people tend to scrutinise the individual parts but fail horribly to recognize that sometimes the whole is greater than the sum. This is the main reason why most coders remain coders and never get to become architects.
I beg to differ~~~ :sticktong

togu said:
Heh, we can start a poll "How many IT slaves here want to change their profession" or something...

* togu raise his hands, legs, and d***....

IT jobs good mah....just sit and grow fat ;p

rncw said:
IT jobs good mah....just sit and grow fat ;p

* togu kick RNCW into the water to join jsbn...

Fat your head! IT pple die young, either of stress, go blind, boneaching, finger cramp sickness, or radiation...

whip.gif

Not to mention the endurance of RSI - Repetitive Stress Injury... :(

too stressed out in invstm banking i just quit to spend more time on photography..

:sweat:

jsbn said:
Do u guys feel that ur choice of career (even if u're unemployed) would have an impact and influence on how u view current affairs and other things in life (including personal opinions)? :)
Sure, x years in civil service already, and my peers in private sector said that I become very conservative, no risk-taker, everything consider and re-consider.. Damn sian of myself, seem to lose that "devil-care" attitude that I used to be while overseas.. hehehe.. damn, the pay is good, the job is stable (at least for the next 2 years) before some so-called scho"lah" talk about outsourcing again.. sigh.

Fat your head! IT pple die young, either of stress, go blind, boneaching, finger cramp sickness, or radiation...
^I concur!

ah... I want to quit IT!!!

Which is more precious, honour or life?
Which is more valuable, possessions or life?
Which is worst – to have reputation and wealth or loss of life?
So to crave too much for reputation, you would have to pay a high price.

To hoard too much wealth would be to incur serious loss.
To be contented with what you have, you would not suffer humiliation. To be able to stop at the right time, no danger would befall you.

It is better to cherish our bodies and not pursue fame and gains excessively. It is not worthwhile to gain honour and wealth at the expense of your life.

career or work will of course inflence our personal life....
i just try to enjoy my life while it lasts..... :)

I am happy with my IT job. Like the work i do, work conditions are good, stress is manageable, pay check goes into the bank every 30th....

A job will never be as much fun as a hobby. I love photography, I am not so sure if I will like it so much if I become a pro. Then it will be more like something I need to do, rather than what I want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.