OCBC Easycredit -- any catches

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyD70S

Dec 25, 2005
Singapore
Good day,

those "fairly good deals" using OCBC EasiCredit? Any catches?

Can I keep a positive balance in the account (to cover the full cost of the item) and let them deduct monthly ?

Or I have so "incur some hidden fees"?

What gives?

Thank you.

If you pay on time, none. Else, you'll pay through your nose.

Good day,

Can I keep a positive balance in the account (to cover the full cost of the item) and let them deduct monthly ?

What gives?

Thank you.
The catch is being suckered into a life of credit, bills, payment and the ultimate scenario of bankruptcy.

the typical singaporean has the standard few debts that he/she has to carry through.
1. The house you live in. $100,000k to $250,000 HDB- depending on the size- for 35 yrs
2. Family Car , Not the kinda for show off but for transport of your wife and kids - $50,000 for 10 yrs.
3. Kids Education, $50,000 for another 10 yrs?

We are already suckered into a life of credit and bills and payments. So all of us face bankruptcy ultimately?

No.

Assume you have the money for the item... just that the "price" is attractive enough to pay through instalment...

Say, price of item is $2000/- (assume it's really a relatively cheap price; not just retail price)

Say their offer, $150 * 11 ... + $200 * 1 ... = $1850/-

Say, I put in righaway $1900/-. and let them deduct monthly? Can I assume that they just deduct monthly ... ie, no interest of whatever sort... no hidden charges (because I don't give them a chance of incurring OD) ?

Thank you.

the typical singaporean has the standard few debts that he/she has to carry through.
1. The house you live in. $100,000k to $250,000 HDB- depending on the size- for 35 yrs
2. Family Car , Not the kinda for show off but for transport of your wife and kids - $50,000 for 10 yrs.

We are already suckered into a life of credit and bills and payments. So all of us face bankruptcy ultimately?
You're in debt the moment you're born in SG. Your life is to work, pay bills and pay income tax to the gahmen. That's why gahmen needs more population, else not enough tax money. :bsmilie:

Debts
a) House - just a roof over my family
b) Car - just a set of wheels for transport to point A to point B
c) Kid - education / life insurance policies

And i have no spare cash to indulge in my own pursuits ... cameras ... photography holidays etc. Worst, can't afford to lose my job.

Easy-Credit. No catch, unless you default on your payments, and the consequences would be bad ... to raise money to pay off the debts. don't go into credit debits for luxury items ...

Good day,

What gives?

Thank you.

I thought its a loan... you still can put in $$ in the account meh :dunno:

If it works like credit cards, you probably can. I know that I can put in $$ into my credit card if I want to.

The catch is being suckered into a life of credit, bills, payment and the ultimate scenario of bankruptcy.

not true, me been using ocbc credit for years... i hardly borrowed, instead had excess. :sweat: I applied it becos i need a cheque book.

Debts

And i have no spare cash to indulge in my own pursuits ... cameras ... photography holidays etc. Worst, can't afford to lose my job.

Easy-Credit. No catch, unless you default on your payments, and the consequences would be bad ... to raise money to pay off the debts. don't go into credit debits for luxury items ...

Yup i understand. it's a very typical singaporean scenario. no break through just trying to survive and educate the next generation of sheep. i believe i will also join this crowd of people in the march. :)

No.

Assume you have the money for the item... just that the "price" is attractive enough to pay through instalment...

Say, price of item is $2000/- (assume it's really a relatively cheap price; not just retail price)

Say, I put in righaway $1900/-. and let them deduct monthly? Can I assume that they just deduct monthly ... ie, no interest of whatever sort... no hidden charges (because I don't give them a chance of incurring OD) ?

Thank you.

why not you give it a go then tell us if that's possible :bsmilie: then i will also go for it :bsmilie:

Getting the perks of the scheme without losing your sleep at night worrying you might incurr interest. that's why the person with the cash always wins!

Debts

seems like a lot of Singaporeans look good on outside, but deep inside is all the names of banks printed on their minds.

Hi,

I was looking at their website and don't see that calculation mechanism you wrote here - could you share how you arrived at that?

The only thing I see is a 8% cash rebate, but that is loaded with a precondition to pay interest on outstanding balances.

No.

Thank you.

not true, me been using ocbc credit for years... i hardly borrowed, instead had excess. :sweat: I applied it becos i need a cheque book.
Nah. Never believed in those stuff.

HSBC gave me that credit cheque book thingy. Juz kept it aside.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

OK. Here goes.

I have spoken (on the telephone) to three -- YES, 3 different offices @ 1800 438 3333 with regard to my original query.

Their replies are all consistent -- but, of course -- like in any help desk, they have a standard procedure book :)

(a) Say I am interested in acquiring an LG 42" LCD Full HD TV.
Original retail price $5,999
OCBC EasiCredit price: $359 x 11 plus $350 x 1 = $4,299
* for the sake of this e.g/argument., let's assume that $4,299 is indeed a very attractive price

(b) OCBC will deduct the instalment amount on a said (fixed) day of the month. As long as I
stay "positive (balance, ie, above $359) before that said date for the month, I do not
incur any interest, hidden charges, admin fees, whatever, etc

I have been having this facility for more than 10-yrs (originally called the Keppel Prestige Credit)... just applied then for emergency purposes (why not) and just maintain the account with a positive balance of 10-cents.

Guess it's about time I activate it!

Erm I still can't find the calculation methodology on the website - could you help?

Its easier to see it on the webpage than to speak on the phone (which can fly away later without evidential trace) later.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

OK. Here goes.

I have spoken (on the telephone) to three -- YES, 3 different offices @ 1800 438 3333 with regard to my original query.

Their replies are all consistent -- but, of course -- like in any help desk, they have a standard procedure book :)

(a) Say I am interested in acquiring an LG 42" LCD Full HD TV.
Original retail price $5,999
OCBC EasiCredit price: $359 x 11 plus $350 x 1 = $4,299
* for the sake of this e.g/argument., let's assume that $4,299 is indeed a very attractive price

(b) OCBC will deduct the instalment amount on a said (fixed) day of the month. As long as I
stay "positive (balance, ie, above $359) before that said date for the month, I do not
incur any interest, hidden charges, admin fees, whatever, etc

I have been having this facility for more than 10-yrs (originally called the Keppel Prestige Credit)... just applied then for emergency purposes (why not) and just maintain the account with a positive balance of 10-cents.

Guess it's about time I activate it!

I agree to everything except the part about bankruptcy.

For quite a while, I have been receiving brochures (think every 2 months) on gadgets... perhaps you should call that number to ask them to send you one.

Erm I still can't find the calculation methodology on the website - could you help?

Its easier to see it on the webpage than to speak on the phone (which can fly away later without evidential trace) later.

Status
Not open for further replies.