Observation Towers in Tokyo

emlee

Mar 10, 2008
Ang Mo Kio
Hi,
I am planning a trip to Japan. While in Tokyo, I would like to visit 1 of those observation tower/ or tall buildings with observation deck/floors. I know there are quite a few in Tokyo, can anyone recommend 1 with a good view?
EM

Hi I was in Tokyo in early December. I went up the Roppongi Hill, a 56 stories high building with a obervatory floor on 54th floor (indoor, glass wall) and 56th floor (building top,open air). You can a have a nice aerial view of Tokyo including the Tokyo tower. Admission fee is 1500 Yen to 54th floor, additinal 300 Yen to the top 56th floor.

sunset at Tokyo from there was beautiful.

If I am not wrong, tripod is not allowed on 56 floor as I did not see any one using tripod there but lots of psople using tripod on 54th floor.

Memory's sketchy now but IIRC have seen quite a few great shots from Shiodome City, back when I was researching on staying in that area
The tower with Fuji TV in it if I'm not mistaken
Gonna go check out my old notes

you can try Tokyo metropolitian building
it has south and north towers
Entrance is free
if you're lucky you can see mount fuji too!

The tokyo metropolitan govt building is free of charge, though I passed by it and did not go up myself.
Haiz. This building is a short -- maybe 5 minutes -- from our hotel (Rose Garden Shinjuku) and yet, we didn't find time to drop by. This one opens at 9am IIRC and AFAIK, they do not allow tripod to be used. FYI.

:Later,

The Caretta building (Caretta Mall houses most of the restaurants in the area) has a high floor 46-47 from which you can see Tokyo Tower and even Odaiba on a clear night.
Conversely, most Tokyo Tower shots will the Caretta building looking over.
If you pardon the Engrish:
http://www.f-banchan.net/tokyo/karetta/karetta_AD.htm

I remember a friend going and no one stopped him
Then again the caveats are:
He was only carrying a PnS without a tripod, taking snapshots
And he ate at Zipangu if I'm not mistaken
Plus this was 2+ years ago i think

how about mori tower in ropponggi? It has a good view of Tokyo tower and on some days, mount fuji.

View from Tokyo Metropolitan Tower. CPL definitely needed.
DSC_0280.JPG

The tokyo metropolitan govt building is free of charge, though I passed by it and did not go up myself.

Yes, I second the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. The view is pretty good, considering it's free. However, I still prefer the Tokyo tower view after I have seen my friend's photograph taken from there.

Planing on going to both when I leave for Japan tomorrow :)

Roppongi Hills Mori Tower is a 54-story mixed-use skyscraper located in Roppongi. I went there last year and it has really nice view at night.

The top of Tokyo Tower is definitely recommendable.

The view from the NEC tower is also not bad, except its open to employees only, and the observation floor is higher than that of the Tokyo Tower's.

But the view from the Roppongi Hills Mori Tower is better.

Cheers!

Hmmm, nice view. I just came back from tokyo but did not went for the observation deck as the weather is really bad... hopes my April trip will be better than i will try and go up.

Back from my trip for 2 weeks now. Went to Tokyo MetroPolitan Government Building and Caretta. Both free, but Caretta is not an actual viewing tower.
Caretta faces South/ Southeast, looking over Hamarikyu gardens, Tsukiji Market, and Odaiba. Will share some posts later.
Tokyo Metropolitan on the other hand is a proper viewing tower with cafe. tripods not allowed to use, but if you have it with you, they still allow you up, just dont use it. Very wide view. Only complaint: it is quite a walk from JR Shinjuku station.

Thank you all for the advice.

I was at tokyo last month. I went to Tokyo tower (820+600 yen) and observation tower at sunshine city (600yen). weather is not good raining and hazy. But I never went Tokyo MetroPolitan Government Building and Caretta , both near Shinjuku station?

Tokyo Metropolitan on the other hand is a proper viewing tower with cafe. tripods not allowed to use, but if you have it with you, they still allow you up, just dont use it. Very wide view. Only complaint: it is quite a walk from JR Shinjuku station.

Here's a tip for those going to the Tokyo Met Building from Shinjuku but are too lazy to walk.

Take the free hotel shuttle bus to Shinjuku New City Hotel. The Tokyo Met Building is just across the small park in front of the hotel.

Pickup location and bus timings: http://www.newcityhotel.co.jp/eng/access/

The pickup/drop off point is at the passenger drop off area of the Shinjuku JR station (West). Do not go to the ground level as the pickup point is underground (below the open air bus stop in front of odakyu ace department store).

Hope this helps.