Object sharp with background blur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo...

May 19, 2005
Sembawang
Hi,
I saw a lot of good photos (object focus and sharp with blur background) but all those
photos were using DSLR digicam so wondering whether prosumer digicam can do the same thing?
Example: using Canon Pro-1 so what is the setting? does it set to potrait or Av? do I need to use external flash? do I need to zoom (80~90mm) the object? or stand closer ?

Always couldn't get good picture. Object and background are focus but I wanted blur background. :embrass:

Pls enligten me

just in my view as to how i do it..

using Manual mode , set ur aperture to the lowest n focus on the subject..the backgroud will be then blurred :)

Hi,
I saw a lot of good photos (object focus and sharp with blur background) but all those
photos were using DSLR digicam so wondering whether prosumer digicam can do the same thing?
Example: using Canon Pro-1 so what is the setting? does it set to potrait or Av? do I need to use external flash? do I need to zoom (80~90mm) the object? or stand closer ?

Always couldn't get good picture. Object and background are focus but I wanted blur background. :embrass:

Pls enligten me

Set your aperture to the brightest (smallest f value). Longest focal length zoom. and your background should be as far away from the subject as possible. Focus on your subject.

your lens is too near the sensor

Set your aperture to the brightest (smallest f value). Longest focal length zoom. and your background should be as far away from the subject as possible. Focus on your subject.

Tried your advice...focus on my subject, background located around ~2.5m away,

Yap I can get background blur but slightly only...
Do I need to stand near to subject? or stand far? what do you mean with longest focal length? is it related to 80mm or 100mm where can be found on the camera body lens (in/out)

Your subject needs to be further away from the background. Also, the Canon Pro-1 has an equiv. focal length of 28-200mm (f/2.4 to f/3.5), so "longest focal length" would be at full 200mm, aperture of f/3.5

your lens is too near the sensor

Don'y know if too near or not, but can be done. Just need to use small apature and zoom. The further the zoom, the more blur the background. Tried this on a FZ7 on a flower and some other stuff. Since the FZ7 has a long zoom (I can't remember how many mm), the DOF can be made quite shallow.

Don'y know if too near or not, but can be done. Just need to use small apature and zoom. The further the zoom, the more blur the background. Tried this on a FZ7 on a flower and some other stuff. Since the FZ7 has a long zoom (I can't remember how many mm), the DOF can be made quite shallow.
Correction: small aperture..., you mean small aperture number (thus bigger aperture).

Regards,
Arto.

IMO, for a nice background blur you will need at least f4 for telephoto range, or least 2.8 for shorter focal length. Of course all else that was mentioned on your subject/background distance remains

IMO, for a nice background blur you will need at least f4 for telephoto range, or least 2.8 for shorter focal length. Of course all else that was mentioned on your subject/background distance remains

a prosumer you dun have much of a choice you know.

a prosumer you dun have much of a choice you know.

I believe prosumer cams do have Av mode. Choose the widest aperture and shoot at the longest length.

DSLRS renders OOF regions much more than prosumers (so with the same settings, you still get different results), so there's not much you can do but try to use the smallest aperture number available and zoom from afar to maximize your background blur.

Digital compacts have very small sensors and paired with short focal lengths... When calculating FOV equivalents, the equivalent F-number regarding DOF also needs to be scaled accordingly. So the 7.2-50.8mm F/2.4-3.5 lens on Pro-1 is equivalent (in FOV and DOF) to 28-200mm F/9.4-13.7.

These numbers mean that you don't have to stop down a digital compact for DOF in most situations, and you don't expect shallow DOF out of them.

That said, a wide-open head-shot at the 200(50.8)mm end with a Pro1 may give you a little background blur.

How about using the super macro mode for the camera? in this way, the background should be sufficiently isolated from the subject for a good blur.

Technically, due to the small sensor size, it is very difficult to get a picture with a shallow dof as well.

The Pro-1 is f/2.4 at wide, f/3.5 at full tele.

prosumer very hard to get good DOF

Digital compacts have very small sensors and paired with short focal lengths... When calculating FOV equivalents, the equivalent F-number regarding DOF also needs to be scaled accordingly. So the 7.2-50.8mm F/2.4-3.5 lens on Pro-1 is equivalent (in FOV and DOF) to 28-200mm F/9.4-13.7.

These numbers mean that you don't have to stop down a digital compact for DOF in most situations, and you don't expect shallow DOF out of them.

That said, a wide-open head-shot at the 200(50.8)mm end with a Pro1 may give you a little background blur.

your ans is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.