Object looks very dark in photo?

wirenews

Nov 22, 2010
Singapore
Hi,

Would like to ask why my object look so dark in my photo? I am using the camera's AutoFunction.. background is the ocean, object is a person, time taken is around 4-5 pm when the sky is relatively bright still

Cheers!

Do you have enough light to illuminate your subject? I suggest reading up a bit on metering and fill flash. Remember, your eyes have a much higher dynamic range than a camera.

In this case, your focus point need to be lock on the person and adjust the metering to centre weighted or you can adjust your exposure setting to +1/2.

Thank you all for the prompt replies!
Having lots of fun with my new DSLR! =D

let me guess u got the sun behind u and u use the default metering, try changing to spot metering and lock the exposure on ur subject or use a fill flash

Hi,

Would like to ask why my object look so dark in my photo? I am using the camera's AutoFunction.. background is the ocean, object is a person, time taken is around 4-5 pm when the sky is relatively bright still

Cheers!

Just on your flash for your subject.

i'm thinking the same thing, sun to the back of the subject.
you'll need a fill flash ... that's what i think.

cheers!

Understanding Metering
The small dark person in a big bright frame - the Auto function in your camera will adjust to the big bright portion and treat the small dark person as 'less important'. Cameras cannot read your mind :) - Either you tell the camera what is important (spot metering) or you add light to balance between dark person and bright background. A third option could just to change the composition: have the sun somewhere else but not in the frame (e.g somewhere left / right to introduce some shadows).

try using landscape instead of the auto function.. if you are still seeing at rather dark compare to the ocean.. fill-flash..

and check your focus point.. :)

try using landscape instead of the auto function.. if you are still seeing at rather dark compare to the ocean.. fill-flash..

and check your focus point.. :)

What do you mean by use landscape instead of auto function? I don't really understand.

I think the problem is because of the metering mode. You are probably on Matrix or Evaluative metering mode. This means the camera will look at the entire scene and expose to what it thinks is the correct exposure. The background is bright. So the camera will think it is exposing to the background. This means your subject will be underexposed.

2 ways to get around this:

1. use spot metering and meter on your subject. But background will be overexposed.

2. use flash to fill in on your subject, so background will be exposed correctly, and subject will be lighted nicely also. Cons is that sometimes flash can make the picture a little unnatural especially if shot straight on. But there are also other ways to get around this.

I am using my pop up flash, and the IQ is quite acceptable. However, I am thinking to get 580EX II for high sync speed flash.. will the IQ taken from 580 EX II will be much better than pop up flash?