O-ring and grease question

Status
Not open for further replies.

thotshouse

May 25, 2009
Hougang
Hi

I know there are quite a few discussion on this previously but most of these threads are already closed. I just bought a UW casing for my PNS and have a few questions that I hope fellow CSers can help.

1. From the various threads that I have read, some said apply grease before each dive to help waterproof. Some said apply grease for storage purpose to protect the O-ring from hardening. So my question is ... Do I need to apply grease for every dive? Is it necessary?
  2. I shd grease the O-ring for storage. Shd I remove the greased O-ring or shd I put it back into the casing?
  3. Any other tips that a newbie like myself shd take note of? ;)

From the various threads that I have read, some said apply grease before each dive to help waterproof. Some said apply grease for storage purpose to protect the O-ring from hardening. So my question is ... Do I need to apply grease for every dive? Is it necessary?
The short answers for this is no and no. Unless you have to open your hsg again to say change batt or memory card, then check to see if o-ring is dirty. If it is with grit or sand it is best to clean and re-grease. Else if there is non, do what you need to do with the memory and battery and ensure that the o-ring does not have any FOB before closing the case.

I shd grease the O-ring for storage. Shd I remove the greased O-ring or shd I put it back into the casing?
Keep the greased o-ring in a ziplock bag and put it inside the housing. That way you will not forget to bring the o-ring on your next trip or misplace it somewhere.

Any other tips that a newbie like myself shd take note of? ;)
Hmm.. do not use lighter fluid to clean your housing...
Even some detergent or cleaning soaps might crack the housing.
Do not leave housing exposed to sunlight for long periods of time.. months .. years..
Practice, practice and practice..
Reading up is good too...
There are some useful tips in simple underwater photography books which I would recommend but shall not turn this into a commercial post. :)

antacid

The short answers for this is no and no. Unless you have to open your hsg again to say change batt or memory card, then check to see if o-ring is dirty. If it is with grit or sand it is best to clean and re-grease. Else if there is non, do what you need to do with the memory and battery and ensure that the o-ring does not have any FOB before closing the case.

Keep the greased o-ring in a ziplock bag and put it inside the housing. That way you will not forget to bring the o-ring on your next trip or misplace it somewhere.

Hmm.. do not use lighter fluid to clean your housing...
Even some detergent or cleaning soaps might crack the housing.
Do not leave housing exposed to sunlight for long periods of time.. months .. years..
Practice, practice and practice..
Reading up is good too...
There are some useful tips in simple underwater photography books which I would recommend but shall not turn this into a commercial post. :)
*hint* click on the link in his signature!
haha

i prefer to remove the o-ring from the housing when not in use. but some people leave it on for years and it still works, so YMMV.

i like to use my o-rings dry without grease on them, except for the port body to dome port which needs a little grease to prevent them from being welded together. less grease, less chances of hair or sand sticking to it. again, different schools of thought with opposing views exist, so do what you're most comfortable with.

frostyfrostysnowman

Nov 11, 2007
the general rule of thumb is to NOT open your casing when you're on the boat out at sea unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. What I usually do is to lather on the grease in the room in an air-conditioned environment. Make it a good habit to replace your batteries and clear your memory cards at this stage. This way, there is usually no need to open your housing when you're out at sea. :)

More often than not, camera floods occur because people change their memory cards / batteries out at sea, introducing dirt onto the O-ring. Soon after, the camera would succumb to the pressure and it wouldn't be so dry anymore haha.

lovells19

Oct 31, 2003
Deep Deep in the sea
www.flickr.com
A bit of misconception.

- its usually not the pressure that cause the leak, in fact, the deeper you go, the more tight the housing should be, generally flooding occurs at shallow depths.

- irregardless if you change your battery/memory card out at sea, in the plane, in your room, in a clean room, as long as there's dust/hair on the o-ring and if you if failed to remove them before closing your housing. chances are you will still flood your housing.

- best tip of the day, check and check and re-check :)

Status
Not open for further replies.