NY institute of photograpphy courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

custom_biker

Jul 5, 2005
Hi,
I am a newbie looking for a good course in photography. Recently I came across this offering from the NY institute of photography. Has any fellow CSers taken this course or do u know anyone who has taken this course? Is it worth the money ? Looking for some feedback.

http://www.nyip.com/gen_info/international/fsic2A.php

Have you tried RMIT - Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology? They offer full time photography courses too.

Plus it's cheaper to study in Australia than the States. Photography is all about yourself and your own initiative to expand. When I was studying in RMIT, I spend most of my time shooting by myself and coming up with my own set of portfolio.

Of course you need some guidance along the way to make sure your portfolio is up to industry standard.

If you check on some past threads, this has been discussed before. Try doing a search on RMIT, Photography Schools/Institute, and Education. I am sure it will pop up.

Do a search in Kopitiam thread as it was discuss before in there.

Pro Image said:
Have you tried RMIT - Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology? They offer full time photography courses too.

Plus it's cheaper to study in Australia than the States. Photography is all about yourself and your own initiative to expand. When I was studying in RMIT, I spend most of my time shooting by myself and coming up with my own set of portfolio.

Of course you need some guidance along the way to make sure your portfolio is up to industry standard.

If you check on some past threads, this has been discussed before. Try doing a search on RMIT, Photography Schools/Institute, and Education. I am sure it will pop up.

Do a search in Kopitiam thread as it was discuss before in there.

NYIP offers home study, non-degree courses. It's different from a full fledged varsity programme.

well
it may be cheaper to study in aus...but the states, from my point of view, is where the exposure....

buten again....i tink if u go to a school, u can learn the craft....but is it possible to learn an art...or is it more possible to seek the art within yourself....

juz my tots on this schooling issue

cheers..

Witness said:
well
it may be cheaper to study in aus...but the states, from my point of view, is where the exposure....

rest snipped

It's not just about exposure. It's where the action and money is. The US is the place to be.

yup....tt i totally agree with...trying to make my way there too...hahaha...cheers..

The thread starter is asking about home study course, the course fee for NYIP is about S$2K, not studing photography at oversea.

I have heard someone sign up the course but yet no one ever told me that they have complete the course...

catchlights said:
The thread starter is asking about home study course, the course fee for NYIP is about S$2K, not studing photography at oversea.

I have heard someone sign up the course but yet no one ever told me that they have complete the course...
NYIP is run by an organization that does many home study courses. I personally did not take the NYIP course, but knew people who did. The general concensus is positive.

I don't think that I have the luxury to take a break from work and do a full time residential course (although I would love to do one ).

The NYIP course can be taken at home. There is a part time course from Nanyang Poly as well. But from the looks the NYIP course looks more established .....they have been around since 1910.

Pro Image said:

wow.. RMIT... so u r my senior man..

try taking the class as my elective at Bundoora .. went for a few times but then class was cancelled due to lack of students ( plus me, total 3 )

Nothing beats going to other the place to study.

Home study is ok but it's the exposure in other countries that matters most.

You don't really need to be in NY to be a successful photographer. Action can be anywhere you want to be. Australia is cheap but it's a great place to study. Plus your parents pocket must be deep enough.....

It's all about opening up your own opportunity.

If you can make it in Australia and Singapore, you can make it anywhere.

I was interested in the NYIP course for a while, but turned off by the fact that the materials were provided on tapes and videos only. No CD/DVD. This was still the case in April this year. :dunno:

:embrass: Actually I have taken up this course before way way back mid 90' ?? Dun knows how I get started and dun knows why I didnt continue ... I have also received the studio umbrella ... probably that time dun know what things c.o.c.k up that I didnt proceed .. :(

IIRC .. I was in module 4 or wat .. left 2 modules to go but half way drop dead ... :cry: didnt really go and count how many lessons I have received .. :sweatsm:

KNIGHT ONG said:
:embrass: Actually I have taken up this course before way way back mid 90' ?? Dun knows how I get started and dun knows why I didnt continue ... I have also received the studio umbrella ... probably that time dun know what things c.o.c.k up that I didnt proceed .. :(

IIRC .. I was in module 4 or wat .. left 2 modules to go but half way drop dead ... :cry: didnt really go and count how many lessons I have received .. :sweatsm:

If u need more details ... PM me easier .. ;)

NYIP is home study course. Home study is all about discipline & ur own passion. My own mentor is 1 good example. He hs been shooting for Porche every year.

onelight said:
NYIP is home study course. Home study is all about discipline & ur own passion. My own mentor is 1 good example. He hs been shooting for Porche every year.

You mean Porsche?

Yes home study is partly disclipine. Still there is nothing like being there in an institution to learn from the lecturers. Photography is 80% practical and 20% theory. When you do setups, it's great if someone like your lecturer can guide you.

custom_biker said:
I don't think that I have the luxury to take a break from work and do a full time residential course (although I would love to do one ).

The NYIP course can be taken at home. There is a part time course from Nanyang Poly as well. But from the looks the NYIP course looks more established .....they have been around since 1910.

U meant NAFA? Cant find any p/t course on photography in NYP :dunno:

how long is the course in RMIT aussie and the cost of it?
Do u need a portfolio to go there in the first place ?

simon80 said:
how long is the course in RMIT aussie and the cost of it?
Do u need a portfolio to go there in the first place ?

Yes you need a basic portfolio to enter with at least a credit in English in "O" Levels. If you a basic Diploma in Art discipline would be easier as well.

MOST important is of course $$$$$$$

Portfolio can consist a mixture of Landscapes, Black and White, Portraiture, Still Life, Street Photography and so on. Only show your BEST work.

Danny, thanks for sharing on your experience with RMIT during the wedding. Another question. With an arts-related diploma, or whatever diploma, is there a possibility of accelerated course in RMIT?

Status
Not open for further replies.