NX10 viable?

Nikkornos

Oct 31, 2008
Singapore/Asia
Was at a photo retailer today to look at the K7. However, was passed a NX10 to play with.
I used to think every Samsung is a Pentax, until Samsung introduced the NX10.

Same sensor as the K7, but more like a u4/3 mirror-less concept with a VGA viewfinder.
Price is near the cost of a k-x bundle.

I played with it for a while and did not like the view finder.
Never mind the reviews, the pictures taken in the shop looks nice. Lens was the 30mm F2.

Novoflex or Chinese 3rd party manufacturer make adapters for NX10.
M42 or K mount are both usable, only MF.
AF lenses are all usable. Again, MF only.
In fact, from Pentax 67 to Nikkor are all usable.

Novoflex site:
http://www.novoflex.com/index.php

Korean site showing NX10 with Pentax A 85mm F1.4
http://media.slrclub.com/1002/04/1265280142_a02.jpg

This appears to be an attractive setup to use Takumar lenses exclusively.
And this is a very compact light weight setup.

What do you think? :D

Was at a photo retailer today to look at the K7. However, was passed a NX10 to play with.
I used to think every Samsung is a Pentax, until Samsung introduced the NX10.

Same sensor as the K7, but more like a u4/3 mirror-less concept with a VGA viewfinder.
Price is near the cost of a k-x bundle.

I played with it for a while and did not like the view finder.
Never mind the reviews, the pictures taken in the shop looks nice. Lens was the 30mm F2.

Novoflex or Chinese 3rd party manufacturer make adapters for NX10.
M42 or K mount are both usable, only MF.
AF lenses are all usable. Again, MF only.
In fact, from Pentax 67 to Nikkor are all usable.

Novoflex site:
http://www.novoflex.com/index.php

Korean site showing NX10 with Pentax A 85mm F1.4
http://media.slrclub.com/1002/04/1265280142_a02.jpg

This appears to be an attractive setup to use Takumar lenses exclusively.
And this is a very compact light weight setup.

What do you think? :D

1. Unknown future - Samsung is going it alone. If they axe it in 2,3,5yrs. That is the end of it. It all depends if they make money out of it or not. Depends on their will as well as can be seen for other product lines, if they put in the will, it can be done. So far, minimal ads and support, unlike TVs and HPs

2. Get a K7, D300, A850, etc will give access to many lenses of their own mount which can be used direct. NX-10's own range is limited ATM.

3. EVF - like it or hate it. MHO, is that its not there yet. Refresh rate, brightness and associated quirks (dark is bright, bright is normal :D ), response time needs to better by a bit more to be a true direct competitor to the SLR system

4. How easy is it to MF with it anyway? Zoom in at a touch of a button? User defined zoom in?

5. Such EVF cameras tend to be quite odd with largish lenses. It breaks the purpose of the form factor. With rangefinder lenses or pancakes, I think they are charming.

I'm not saying that it is bad. Such cameras have their niche uses. Smaller, while delivering DSLR quality pictures.
If you see it as buying a "compact like" camera system that gives the 'plus' of playing with some lenses and that it gets obsolete in a few years, its not a bad system at all. Just don't spend too much on the system itself.

Last edited:
Seems mirrorless cameras are attracting a lot buyers nowadays, maybe Pentax wanna have a share in that pool too. Who knows, but I'm betting on it :)

Seems mirrorless cameras are attracting a lot buyers nowadays, maybe Pentax wanna have a share in that pool too. Who knows, but I'm betting on it :)

I'm actually waiting..... ;)

IMO, Pentax is the one that is best positioned for this type of system in terms of very high quality, very nice and very small primes. No need to re-spin new lenses and spread out the product lines unlike others.
Just make a EVIL and sell'em the pancakes :D

IMO, Pentax is the one that is best positioned for this type of system in terms of very high quality, very nice and very small primes. No need to re-spin new lenses and spread out the product lines unlike others.

I guess Pentax thought about this too. Let's wait and see what's gonna happen by the year end :)

IMO, Samsung NX-10 ain't really that bad of a camera. Their present lenses might be limited but all are good. especially the 30mm f2 pancake. It so good to lug around and shoot everything.

but in any rate, besides the bulk and build quality of k-x. NX-10 cannot beat k-x at most aspects.

I haven't tried MF on NX but I feel it's going to be a painful experience as it only have 4x zoom on MF and OVF is not really that nice. :)

Edit: I didn't say that K-x is big but NX-10 still gets lesser space than k-x. :)

Last edited:
I guess Pentax thought about this too. Let's wait and see what's gonna happen by the year end :)

I'm waiting for that too... ;p
but what mount they're going to use?

Posuer saw one at the Pathlight event yesterday but not me though.
Frankly, if you are getting it as your main DSLR, it offers no real advantage over the more established makes. The size is too big for a mirrorless camera and you are stuck with very few lenses. The other 3 competitors (Panny, Oly and Sony) at least have more lenses or adapters to use many more.

Fengwei : is Pentax coming out with their own line of mirrorless cameras.? Is that a rumour? I hope they are as small as the Sony Nex series and be able to use Pentax lenses without adapter.
If they choose to adopt the Nx system it will be a little disappointing but I guess having samsung as a partner helps them establish a bigger foothold faster. Lets see what cool stuff they can come out with. If they go to the drawing board with intention to knock the pants off Panny, Oly and Sony, its already half the battle won.:)

Sorry I don't know if Pentax will make a mirrorless camera anytime soon, but I guess Pentax should've seen the market better than we do :)

If they do come out a mirrorless camera, there is no way you can mount our PK lens on w/o using an adapter. I just hope the adapter they make at least allows auto aperture.

Last edited:
Posuer saw one at the Pathlight event yesterday but not me though.
Frankly, if you are getting it as your main DSLR, it offers no real advantage over the more established makes. The size is too big for a mirrorless camera and you are stuck with very few lenses. The other 3 competitors (Panny, Oly and Sony) at least have more lenses or adapters to use many more.

I have the NX10 and the size is actually comparable to m4/3 although it look big.

m4/3 has more lens but not sony. Sony has also only 3 lens and no info about what other lens they are releasing. Samsung has committed to 5 more lens. And also the current NEX will drive a DSLR user crazy using it. The NX10 is very similar in handling to DSLRs.

Actually I think most EVIL cams cannot use old lens due to AF too slow. I think the AF is still a big issue especially the tracking. my NX10 totally cannot track moving objects. no predictive AF.

But with good light and stationary subjects, the NX10 is very very good.

Last edited:
Hmmm...no more mirror...haiz.

Yesterday a guy using his samsung with 30mm pancake. Actually I did tried it before in Samsung showroom at vivo. Quite good with nice bokeh for the pancake. But again, no hear mirror flapping like no soul. hahaha. But it just me.

Always good to ask the opinions of Pentax gurus here :thumbsup:

So Olympus and Panasonic are no longer the monopoly in u4/3 (I am no in favour of using a ultra small sensor anyway). Sony and Samsung are now on board. Nikon is on its way too :)sticktong don't tell me they will ditch the G lens like they ditched non AI). Some threads like "Death of 4/3" already started. This is the brutality of consumer product technology.

I suppose we are used to a bright and nice view finder.
Even for Macro work I still find a bright and large view finder indispensable.
I cannot get used to the NX viewfinder... or focusing by starring at the back... :nono:

Some friends in Boston told me Samsung is working with Schneider Kreuznach on new lenses. (Not samyang). If it comes it will awesome.

I am still investigating the viability of using the superb 35mm F2 and 50mm F1.5 Takumar (琢磨) lenses.
Here is a video from.... Taiwan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9InhVE6MiVA

I think currently if you mount 3rd party lens, the viewfinder will not magnify for MF. I read this somewhere.... never test it.

BTW, the NX10 is getting REALLY cheap. $799 for NX10 with the standard zoom kit lens at mscolor. $899 for 30mm kit. I bought it for $936....

The NX10 viewfinder sucks actually. I find it tiring to look through it for extended period of time. I much prefer the OLED screen. But I find the proximity sensor way too sensitive. When I hold it waist height for shots, it would often turn off by itself.

Actually, the price is lower than the $800 dollar mark now with freebies. :eek:
Certain outlets are pushing it hard against the K-x.

For the price, I think its a pretty good buy as a walk around cam.
But then again, K-x is also around that price too.

I have the NX10 and the size is actually comparable to m4/3 although it look big. m4/3 has more lens but not sony. Sony has also only 3 lens and no info about what other lens they are releasing.

The key gain for mirrorless cameras is smaller size. The NX simply does not do any wonders here because i would rather get the K-x with more lens options. As for Sony Nex5, as it is targetted at PnS market, number of lens is desirable but not critical. I only need 1 and its a bonus if I have 2 lenses. I know many bought into this system looking for a m4/3 or DSLR replacement but that's not what Sony targetted it for. For cheap DSLR Sony already has the anaemic A200 series. The K-x is way ahead in that category. That is why my Nex is a PnS, not a DSLR replacement.

Hmmm...no more mirror...haiz.
But again, no hear mirror flapping like no soul. hahaha. But it just me.

You should still be able to hear the shutter sound for these mirrorless cameras because the shutter still need to operate. Only difference is when the shutter flip, it does not divert light.
The Oly and Nex makes a lot of noise when they take photos...like the K-x and it sounds soothing. :bsmilie:

So Olympus and Panasonic are no longer the monopoly in u4/3. Sony and Samsung are now on board.

Actually they still have monopoly. Sony and Samsung use APS-C size lenses, not 4/3. There were earlier rumours Fujifilm was joining the m4/3 gang but nothing came out of that so far.
I hope pentax will join in soon with a killer model like they did for the k-x. Should they adopt their coalition partner's NX format, I do hope they can make it as small as the NEX.:)

You are right. Sony and Samsung are not u4/3 but with a larger DX format.

I have played with the NEX 5 with 16mm. Very small and very simplified...
It reminds me of my old..... MAVICA!! :eek:

Like that die lah if they wanna make every cam smaller and smaller. I got big hands. Like that must downgrade my hands ah?:bsmilie:

The key gain for mirrorless cameras is smaller size. The NX simply does not do any wonders here because i would rather get the K-x with more lens options. As for Sony Nex5, as it is targetted at PnS market, number of lens is desirable but not critical. I only need 1 and its a bonus if I have 2 lenses. I know many bought into this system looking for a m4/3 or DSLR replacement but that's not what Sony targetted it for. For cheap DSLR Sony already has the anaemic A200 series. The K-x is way ahead in that category. That is why my Nex is a PnS, not a DSLR replacement.

The whole point of NEX is that it can CHANGE lens. doesn't matter if it is targeted at PNS crowd or not. There are certain things I look out for in a system and one is the ability to get thin DOF. I think that and high ISO performance is the most common reasons people upgrade to a larger sensor.

I was thinking of getting either Kx or NX10. I went with NX10 because it is

1) smaller/lighter
2) better live view
3) and it has the lens I want. A 30mm pancake f2 to complement my dslr. Pentax with all its pancakes doesn't have a comparable lens. The 30mm f2 by samsung is really quite remarkable. I never knew they can make lens so good.
4) cheaper

Still I am having issues with high ISO, slow AF and lack of IS. maybe kx is the better way. I think a kx with DA 40mm and 70mm is probably easier to use.