Nwebie pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

serene

Oct 3, 2004
Hi everyone,

I am using a Olympus c5050z and took the following pictures. I am a newbie (been off film photography for many years and just started digital this year)

Pls comment.
A few notes
(1) Weather is rainy nowadays and the few pics below are taken at late afternoon w/ some very light drizzle
(2) The flower. I could not take a closer pic because my camera does at macro does not allow flash (somehow the settings did not allow me to turn it on). As a result, most of my pics became blur. This is a better one. I supposed the grasshopper steadied it somehow.
(3) The chinese pears - took it before I ate them (very sweet...) which one do you guys like.

Thanks in advance :)

http://getsurin.multiply.com/photos/photo/5/7.JPG
http://getsurin.multiply.com/photos/photo/5/5.jpg
http://getsurin.multiply.com/photos/photo/6/1.jpg
http://getsurin.multiply.com/photos/photo/5/1.jpg

sorry, don't know what happened. Trying the link again...pls be patient
Pls click on the links. Thanks again.

nice pics
u live in clementi area?
i just moved to clementi few months bak mayb u can take me for a stroll ard the area :)

Hi, I saw your album too. They are interesting (sorry, I haven't seen all your pics yet. Only the Fann Wong one)
I was visiting my friend, but I visit the area from time to time. If I come around, shall let you know.

of the 4 i tink the last one is the best...

perhaps u can host ya images at photobucket or pbase or somewhere tt allows hotlinking...

its more user friendly when we do visit ya site too...

cheers..

Hi

y not just use clubsnap's galleries?

photobucket recently downsized, and pbase needs payment for hot-linking.

I hv tried but could not upload coz my pics are too large. Do you know how I can upload it correctly?

yah, cs galleries a bit small. hehe.

what software do you use to edit your photos? photoshop or others? resize and just save at between good and excellent (if using photoshop).

Since I am using Olympus, I am using their Camedia software. But it really took me a long time to resize and after that the picture quality looks terrible. I noticed that many pictures in the gallery are really sharp. Is there any software that you recommend that can do the resizing easily. For eg, when I upload to msn, the resizing is done automatically. Thanks!

serene said:
Since I am using Olympus, I am using their Camedia software. But it really took me a long time to resize and after that the picture quality looks terrible. I noticed that many pictures in the gallery are really sharp. Is there any software that you recommend that can do the resizing easily. For eg, when I upload to msn, the resizing is done automatically. Thanks!

not familiar with Camedia software. I use ps elements myself or Gimp recently.

Resizing should not affect picture quality. Guess your Camedia software messes that part up some.

Gimp is just like photoshop, except free (and a little more complicated to use). Either go get photoshop or download Gimp to play around.

hi serene,

i'm also using olympus, the C4000Z which is 4mp. camera functions should be similar to your C5050Z except that you have a faster lens and 5mp. for simple resizing and post-processing, i don't use the camedia software, but the free imageviewer software called irfanview. i will resize/resample the pics to 640x480 pixels and save it as 85% JPEG quality, for uploading to my PBase album and hotlinking to CS. you should then end up with a file that is less than 100kB in size.

for your flower shots, i prefer flower3.jpg with the grasshopper, as it is sharper and in focus. i would probably try to get as close as i can to the grasshopper to pick out the details. with the super macro function i believe you can get as close as 2cm to your subject.

for your chinese pear shots, i prefer chinesepear.jpg because of the greater detail, colours and lighting. i would try to get as much DOF as possible by using the maximum aperture of f11 (not sure if its the same on your C5050), and steadying the camera by using a tripod. some water drops on the pears might also make an interesting shot.

:cool:

Thanks for sharing your shots.

Shot #1 and #2 are similar shot. I would refer to choose 1 for critique :) . It is a nice closeup shot of the pear.

Shot #4 is nice but would be better for closer view. If you look closer, you can position your camera higher so that you can capture the object against more to the green background. The color is dull and increase saturation would help.

C5050 is a great camea, check out my review of this camera at
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=43762

I like the f1.8 lens tt allows me to capture the moment at low lighting ..

Nice pics Serene, continue shooting :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are really helpful.

For the pears - thanks, hmm.. I guess the first one looks more natural..
For the flower, I really have had a hard time to get a closer shot as I could not use my flash in the macro mode (I did not have an external flash). I remembered I could use the flash in macro mode in my now lost c5060w.

Megaweb - I really like yr macro shots in the review. Could you advise how you took them (for eg, settings, were they manual and how.. sorry, I better read the manual). Did you do any digital touch up?

Thanks again, hope to take better pictures, will post some soon.... :)

serene said:
Could you advise how you took them (for eg, settings, were they manual and how.. sorry, I better read the manual). Did your do any digital touch up?

The sample shots were taken without accessories (closeup filter). Usually I will use an external flash for macro photography. This is becoz' when I use small aperture like f8, I need to use the flash to compensate the shutter speed. Add a diffuser to the flash will look like sunlight and make the object well exposure naturally. Yes I do touch up my shot digitally. Usually I will adjust brightess, contrast, saturation and sharpness.

Thanks, megaweb!

Status
Not open for further replies.