NUS Dance Uncensored

Status
Not open for further replies.

des1984

dance11.jpg
[/IMG]

Newbie here. My first post. Started photography only 6 months ago.
Playing with negative spaces here. Stark contrast here: - Dark background with white figure. Huge space with small figure.

I'm afraid it doesn't work for me. Too much empty space. The dead space just doesn't serve to tell a story in your picture nor bring out the subject.

A word of advice, since you mentioned you are new to photography. Its better to stick to the rules when you are new to understand why the rules are useful and are there in the 1st place. You only break the rules after thoroughly understanding the concepts to break new ground.

dance11.jpg
[/IMG]

Newbie here. My first post. Started photography only 6 months ago.
Playing with negative spaces here. Stark contrast here: - Dark background with white figure. Huge space with small figure.

It works for me. Of course, there are rules. But what is the mean of rules
if your picture is annoying ? And your picture certainly is not.
In fact where your dancer seems a little bit far, but what is empty space
here ? The dark background? so if i count only dancers / again background,
your dancer occupy 1/8 of the picture.
But my eye sees something different : the dancer AND blue colors : 1/4 of
the whole picture and this conveys something interesting.

Don't fear empty spaces :)

Sorry doesnt work for me. Even if you want to play with negative spaces, your main subject is way too close to the corners...

hmm maybe place ur subject at the 1/3 grid intersection, this way u play by the rules and yet play with empty space... :think:

In so much as composition is concern, I believe you have a potential keeper here. The background is clean and uncluttered and the subject is nicely accentuated. There are also no distracting elements in the scene that detract the viewers from the dancer.

However, as already mentioned… too much empty space on the right. Perhaps cropping away the dark area at the right might help.
I also feel that by moving in closer and shooting at eye level might yield a more complete composition. I think it not only enhances the facial and dress details of the dancer but also captures the essence of the dance.

regards.

Isn't too much or too little subjective? how much is too little? how much is too much negative space? Seen people who take sunset pictures? Lots of negative space. Or were they too little?:bsmilie:

Appreciation of an art form is always subjective. In this instance, I feel a balance should be strike between space and the subject like so….

dance11a.jpg

Generally speaking, good landscape photography is about portraying space aesthetically, not negatively.

The essence of the dance is the negative space wrt the dancer, is it not?

Yes, if you choose to view it from that perspective. But I still feel that there is still a lot of negative space.

Appreciation of an art form is always subjective. In this instance, I feel a balance should be strike between space and the subject like so….

dance11a.jpg

Generally speaking, good landscape photography is about portraying space aesthetically, not negatively.

Yes, if you choose to view it from that perspective. But I still feel that there is still a lot of negative space.
when i cover this event, i wanted to try playing with space. There are several other shoots that have similiar amount of space but this picture has a very big negative space.

From my perspective (u may not agree though):
with the vast amount of space, the main subject is no longer the dancer but the space. Bring it more asbract: no longer the focus is on the human but on the environment (the space). The environment (fate, destiny or whatever you want call it) is actually a greater force in our life than what we trying to be. That there is a greater force which made men rather small in comparsion. what I wanted to bring out in this picture is constrast: white, black; small, big; human,space. The vastness of the negative space provide a sense of "helplessness" of the dancer? She alone is dancing in this big space. (this is what i see after looking at my own photo n reflecting on it. hehe.. its juz my own thoughts though. But one thing pple: don't u think the space has become the primary focus n the dancer has become a secondary focus. In another word, the dancer is complimenting the space and not the other way round.)

Thank you for putting your thoughts into words. Your intents are much clearer now. To portray that vastness, I would emphasize on a clean background… ie one without distracting colors. Your image has shades of blue and black which basically detract the viewers from seeing your point of view.
Here's an example of using a single tone to emphasize that.
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1968159&forward=browse

Thank you for putting your thoughts into words. Your intents are much clearer now. To portray that vastness, I would emphasize on a clean background… ie one without distracting colors. Your image has shades of blue and black which basically detract the viewers from seeing your point of view.
Here's an example of using a single tone to emphasize that.
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1968159&forward=browse
noted. Thanks will take that into consideration next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.