Number of Wedding Pictures

LArdius

Feb 2, 2009
Singapore
Hi all,

Im curious as to how many pictures should you give to your client after the actual wedding day shoot? or is there no limit to the amount you can give them? :bigeyes:

Hi all,

Im curious as to how many pictures should you give to your client after the actual wedding day shoot? or is there no limit to the amount you can give them? :bigeyes:

The limit is the number of pictures you take in the whole event.

make sure you've cover all the key shots in the first place.

if you dump all the captured images to them, any good photos will not being even notice at all.

So the more photos you give, the lesser value of each photos,
the less photos you give, the stronger of each photos.

Quality Vs Quantity

make sure you've cover all the key shots in the first place.

if you dump all the captured images to them, any good photos will not being even notice at all.

So the more photos you give, the lesser value of each photos,
the less photos you give, the stronger of each photos.

Quality Vs Quantity

i agreed 100%.

But can i ask what is the rough number of pics for pre-wedding and actual day?

in actual day pg will take perhaps even 1000 pics, but i think giving the couple 1000 pics will tired them out... they will also be at lost ... when i view my friends' actual day wedding albums, sometimes they are 1000 pics, but i never can view more than 50. I get tired after that.

i agreed 100%.

But can i ask what is the rough number of pics for pre-wedding and actual day?

in actual day pg will take perhaps even 1000 pics, but i think giving the couple 1000 pics will tired them out... they will also be at lost ... when i view my friends' actual day wedding albums, sometimes they are 1000 pics, but i never can view more than 50. I get tired after that.

As for my actual day wedding photos, i had about 800 photos. This is due to each shot having at least 3 shots each so that i would be able to have a variety of choices.

My initial concern was if i should really QC the pictures or roughly QC them. :bsmilie:

As for my actual day wedding photos, i had about 800 photos. This is due to each shot having at least 3 shots each so that i would be able to have a variety of choices.

My initial concern was if i should really QC the pictures or roughly QC them. :bsmilie:

imho, it is good to give them only the good ones.. this is good for both parties... :)

Give the really good and groups ones ?

i would give at least 1,000 quality photos for full day wedding consisting of:
- makeup 50
- church 300
- lunch 200
- tea ceremony 150
- dinner 300

out of which, i use about 80-100 photos to put together an album.

I presume all here are into the biz (as per forum name suggests :p)

Be careful with clients who ask for a specific number of shots. If they ask for it, then you better be able to deliver it. Last time while I was at the lower end of the pay scale I did encounter someone who argued that I was not value for money (in the forums) as I could not deliver as many pictures as his friends/sisters weddings. Nowadays its better as I have moved a bit up, they are alright if they ask and you say "it ranges from 450 - 800 depending on the events". Some want a "warranty" (they do not say penalty, but they will pull this out if anything happens). Quality vs Quantity does not work.

Other similar demands may include :
- Demand that payment is not on the day itself. I do not enforce this during AD as in reality they do forget or "misplace the angpow/envelope", but I do say during meetup and 95% are ok. Last 5% if they speak nicely, usually no issue if FT a few days after AD or during delivery of DVD (payment cleared esp for chqs before DVD receipt for them). When you cite non-payment of couples due to "incidents" like no $$$ in the acct, divorce etc.....they laugh it off and tell you that does not happen in reality, you are pulling a fast one on them.
- Demand that they see your very latest galleries and lots of them.
- To emphasize on the above point regarding latest galleries, are those galleries representative of your work, and also can you give a guarantee that this is what you can do for them as well? (I actually do not show ALL my best works of a whole gallery, just some glimpse of what I can do).
- Demand that to prove that you are reliable, you need verifiable testimonials from ex-clients.
- To emphasize on the above point, dictate penalties on what happens if equipment fails hence you miss shots (even though you have 2 or more cams), you are late even for just 10-15 mins, slideshow does not play properly due to incompatible player or missed deadlines for Express Highlights etc. Of course its our fault and I'm not shrinking responsibility in avoiding discounts or anything, but its all blown out of proportion (I had another 2nd PG who is doing the Express Highlights as I did not wanna do it due to copyright issues, end up could not produce for the night, they did not pay him at all AFAIK. This happens with any on-the-day-itself-deliverables). This happens all the time in one way or another due to Murphy's law.
Any more?

Probably more applicable for the lower-end market, but I don't know..... And naturally if you are shooting more and don't "select" your clients which I was not doing last time, then the probability is higher.

Last edited:
The issue here is generally a matter of what is being promise to the couple and what is delivered to them.

I have never promise them any numbers... Always under estimate your figure if you have to... If on average wedding, if you produce 300-400 unique images ( no repeats ), then don't promise 1000 and end up with lots of repeats.

I would say AD should be about 300-400 images minimum for a photographer to aim for and 50% of it should show the clients the whole even as it unfold without have to feel that there is anything missing from it. The rest, could be formal shots and other stuff.

It is often the wrong selling technique to rush and win the job that leads to unsatisfied clients.

Fortunately for me, I have never "sell my service" but I would let my client buy my service, so the decision lies on the couple but not with me forcing. It is a slower process but it is a way of long term business planning.

Regards,

Hart

Last edited:
A high number of shots is often a sign of a sloppy editing process, of course not always and there are always exceptions. Couples asking such questions are often unaware that a smaller but better number of pics is actually a sign of thoughtful editing and it should be our collective effort to educate the market.

Hart and 2100 makes good point, especially about full payment weeks before AD. A bit OT but asking for payment first few things after you show up on a supposedly busy stressful day is a mood and rapport killer. You may not be able to do such payment terms if you are not established or reputable enough initially but eventually you should IMHO.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Hart.

I only promise a min of 30 image for each hour I'm hired. And I do not return more than 350 images for the entire wedding. I have been practicing this during my days as a sub $1800 photographer. It is not important whether u r serving high end or low end clienteles, however it is impt that the u receive due respect even when u are doing freelance or amateur...needless to say a professional.

Here is something for new players to compare and contrast.

- promise a 1000 photos. What are your chances of delivering sub standard work and showing more flaws
- you shall get only 300 photos. What are the chances that these batches are of the highest quality of what you shot in one day.

One way of explaining why there is only 300. Out of 10 hours u shoot. What's wrong with 30 great photos compared to 90 shots of repeated shots testing various angles. Plan well for your shoot even if it's for wedding day. Here is a rough breakdown.

Getting Ready (bride, groom & misc details) - 30
Gate crashing & snatch the bride - 30
Bridal entourage - 5
Couple portraits - 5
Family/relatives Portraits - 15
Enter / exit car for whole morning - 5
Tea ceremony - 20
Expressions portraits - 10
Ring, Bouquet etc - 5

Solemnization - 30
Reception - 20
Banquet Details - 10
Table shots - 30
Group photo requests - 20
March in, cut cake, toasting - 20
Couple walkabout - 30
Thank you, bye-bye - 15

Totals for 300 quality shot

I totally agree with Hart.

I only promise a min of 30 image for each hour I'm hired. And I do not return more than 350 images for the entire wedding. I have been practicing this during my days as a sub $1800 photographer. It is not important whether u r serving high end or low end clienteles, however it is impt that the u receive due respect even when u are doing freelance or amateur...needless to say a professional.

Here is something for new players to compare and contrast.

- promise a 1000 photos. What are your chances of delivering sub standard work and showing more flaws
- you shall get only 300 photos. What are the chances that these batches are of the highest quality of what you shot in one day.

One way of explaining why there is only 300. Out of 10 hours u shoot. What's wrong with 30 great photos compared to 90 shots of repeated shots testing various angles. Plan well for your shoot even if it's for wedding day. Here is a rough breakdown.

Getting Ready (bride, groom & misc details) - 30
Gate crashing & snatch the bride - 30
Bridal entourage - 5
Couple portraits - 5
Family/relatives Portraits - 15
Enter / exit car for whole morning - 5
Tea ceremony - 20
Expressions portraits - 10
Ring, Bouquet etc - 5

Solemnization - 30
Reception - 20
Banquet Details - 10
Table shots - 30
Group photo requests - 20
March in, cut cake, toasting - 20
Couple walkabout - 30
Thank you, bye-bye - 15

Totals for 300 quality shot
nice breakdown Bryan. :thumbsup:

however it is impt that the u receive due respect even when u are doing freelance or amateur...needless to say a professional.

I heartily and totally agree with this point. :thumbsup: Funny thing is that some clients (potential ones) who haven't placed a deposit to book, but are already like trying to abuse me/my service already and I was scolded even once for charging extra for 6PM ROM as she wanted a flat fee (I put on loudspeaker for my wife LOL!) "It is our big day you know"....not often though but i have met 3.

I heartily and totally agree with this point. :thumbsup: Funny thing is that some clients (potential ones) who haven't placed a deposit to book, but are already like trying to abuse me/my service already and I was scolded even once for charging extra for 6PM ROM as she wanted a flat fee (I put on loudspeaker for my wife LOL!) "It is our big day you know"....not often though but i have met 3.

One can never earn enough so sometimes its good to let go for a better cause. Letting go of one potential bad client gives way to a potentially good one. :bsmilie: cheers

A high number of shots is often a sign of a sloppy editing process, of course not always and there are always exceptions. Couples asking such questions are often unaware that a smaller but better number of pics is actually a sign of thoughtful editing and it should be our collective effort to educate the market.

Hart and 2100 makes good point, especially about full payment weeks before AD. A bit OT but asking for payment first few things after you show up on a supposedly busy stressful day is a mood and rapport killer. You may not be able to do such payment terms if you are not established or reputable enough initially but eventually you should IMHO.

Full payment before the AD is important. I did mentioned a few benefits and why during the business course.

Very rarely, I don't get the full amount before heading out for a shoot. Of course, u will lose clients for asking it, but do u think it is fair to do all the work without payment?

Regards,

Hart

Last edited:
One can never earn enough so sometimes its good to let go for a better cause. Letting go of one potential bad client gives way to a potentially good one. :bsmilie: cheers

Let's just say, we can't book every clients that comes and see us.... :bsmilie:

Best regards,

Hart

Full payment before the AD is important. I did mentioned a few benefits and why during the business course.

Very rarely, I don't get the full amount before heading out for a shoot. Of course, u will lose clients for asking it, but do u think it is fair to do all the work without payment?

Regards,

Hart

Exactly.

i had a wedding where i delivered about 180 images - no repeats. it was a simple church wedding in the morning, followed by a buffet style dinner. the couple really liked the shots and were happy, but i felt that i should have tried to capture more from a quantity perspective.