Nuclear Fusion - limitless energy

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
How nice if this can become reality within next 10 years. France is leader in fusion research.

Toward limitless energy: National Ignition Facility focus of symposium, Aug. 19-20

Nuclear Fusion Power a Step Closer After Giant Laser Blast

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/11/opinion/11Prager.html

Day of using nuclear fusion to generate power from sea water nears | Homeland Security News Wire

When this is achieved, Mid East oil may be less attractive. Sing is an island, with limitless sea water supply.
Countries that are land bound with no sea coast may miss out.
Cars will be electric and car ownership will boom since energy is cheap.
No need to worry about water shortage. Because energy needed for desalination of seawater to drinking water is readily available.
But Sing's oil refining industry may be hit.
No reason to build dams for hydro-electric energy anymore - PRC regret spend so much to build 3 Gorges dam and relocate many people.
Just like Polaroid films, hydro-electric dams can become obsolete. Dams got bad side effect - affect the flow of the river and marine life in the water.

Last edited:
fusion is not limitless, just let you know...

for SG, most probably they will lobby Indonesia / Malaysia to rent their island to build nuclear reactor..

Unlimited money - anyone heard?

Imagine you got a credit card with which you cn spend anything you want.

Well, that is heaven for you la. No need for GREED

Imagine having fusion in a battery form... limitless flashes and camera clicks... plus everything glowing in the dark... cool no?

How nice if this can become reality within next 10 years. France is leader in fusion research.

I know it has been widely touted that nuclear fusion should be safer than nuclear fission for various reasons, but how sure are we of that part?

I know it has been widely touted that nuclear fusion should be safer than nuclear fission for various reasons, but how sure are we of that part?

cause the only fusion reaction i know of is the sun... and well, the sun is far enough away! so therefore it should be safe :D

jokes aside, no i don't think that fast. trying to contain the nuclear fusion materials itself is a big headache already...

nuclear fusion is already a reality... scientists have been fusing stuff left right and center. trying to figure a way, so that ur input energy is less than output, is the big problem.

Last edited:

Well at least from the point of view of fuel and waste products: no thousands-of-years half-life radioactive waste matter to dispose of.

Also if there's a power failure the reactor would shut down, not melt-down.

I'm simplifying things of course, and I would never use the phrase "fool-proof" -- too often after it's used someone invents a better fool.

Thing is, it looks like viable fusion reactors are not gonna happen for decades or longer. I was reading about the progress and how the promise of clean energy was just decades away in the 70s!

Perhaps the molten salt reactors (Uranium Is So Last Century — Enter Thorium, the New Green Nuke | Magazine) will work out sooner -- I've heard China is investing in the research.

Cold fusion is the rage during '80s and early '90s. Now physicist don't even mention these two words any longer.

The new rage is Zero-Point Energy (ZPE). :bsmilie:

Nuclear fusion power is just like carbon nanotubes and therm-optic camo... wonderful inventions of tomorrow which will not happen anytime soon today.