Nuclear Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hommie

Oct 11, 2004
Singapore
Just wondering, any expert can enlighten me on whether a nuclear powered sub or aircraft-carrier will burst into a mushroom cloud like explosion when hit?

You mean nuclear plant chernolyl at Russia?

And the nuclear plant at Three Miles Island in USA.
Thats why nobody like to have a nuclear plant near their town/city.

The mushroom cloud is not unique to a nuclear explosion. If you dig a hole and fill it with enough TNT, a few barrels of oil and ignite the combination you will also get a mushroom cloud. I leave it up to the expert to explain why, but my best guess it has to do with how violent the explosion was.

I think an explosion in a nuclear sub or station is not the same as a nuclear explosion from a warhead. The only common thing is radiation fallout. A nuclear explosion will kill everything instantly. The Chernobyl and Three Mile Island disaster is not that disastrous but the radiation cloud would bring people to a slow death (cancer).

No, it might burst, but it is the steam turbine that explodes and cause
nuclear contamination to the surrounding. In nuclear plants, damping
mechanisms are used to slow down the reaction, like you can not burn
beer while you can with Vodka.
No mushrooms, only bad pollution AFAIK.

There won't be any mushroom cloud. But there will be intense radiation which will cause serious damage to any form of life in the vicinity. Setting of an a-bomb is quite difficult to achieve accidentally.

Hommie said:
Just wondering, any expert can enlighten me on whether a nuclear powered sub or aircraft-carrier will burst into a mushroom cloud like explosion when hit?

It will just leave a radio active cloud... just like chenabol (prob wrong spelling but I am too lazy to check).

Hommie said:

Expert here.:sweat:

No, it will not explode. Even if it is a direct hit into the nuclear reactor of a powered sub or aircraft-carrier, there will be no nuclear explosion.
Just normal high explosive explosion only, but there may or may not be radiation leakage which will damage the surrounding ocean.

Nuclear explosion is ignite by other chemical reaction, like maybe using plutonium,U51 to split some chemical process and ignition.
(Sorry, here I no expert, fail my Science :embrass::bsmilie: )

Even after the Chernobyl incident,so many years on,no one could get near the center of explosion,they will melt due to the radiation.

It's like a ghost town,objects are left intact,just that no living thing could be found.So sad.
There used to have a webbie document the place but it's gone.

King Tiger said:
By the way, Hommie, why u ask such question ? :think:

Are you up to something ? :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
Er........nothing. Heeheehe..:devil:

King Tiger said:
By the way, Hommie, why u ask such question ? :think:

Are you up to something ? :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

he's building a missile to target nuclear aircraft/sub :sweat:

A large enough explosion, from a conventional warhead or even natural disasters, can produce a mushroom cloud.

"All of the buildings and material that the bomb vaporizes ascend into a fast-rising fireball. As the fireball rises, it expands and cools, producing the mushroom cloud that the signature of nuclear explosions."

From here --> http://www.essaydepot.com/essayme/1518/index.php

To trigger a nuclear warhead, you need some very precise timing and mechanisms to achieve critical mass ("critical mass" is a term first coined in nuclear physics and now applied routinely to general usage) in a very split second, in order for an explosion to occur. If the split second timing is not achieved, all you get is a very messy meltdown. The explosion at Chernobyl was not a nuclear explosion, it was the supporting cooling pipes and stuff that blew up, leading to catastrophic systems failure. There was never any danger of Chernobyl blowing up like an atomic bomb.

A conventional attack on a nuclear device bearing submarine or plane is highly unlikely to trigger a nuclear explosion.

zod said:
he's building a missile to target nuclear aircraft/sub :sweat:
*Wiring the bomb and trying the button to see whether the Al Kamama's maunal works.....(click!) Oppssss..........* :bigeyes:

blow2a.jpg

Pro Image said:
I just gave my home version of an Atomic Bomb with Channel No.16 1/2 smell.......:sweat:
I dunno I got something called smelly tofu, heard its more 'powderful'! :bsmilie:

dkw said:
To trigger a nuclear warhead, you need some very precise timing and mechanisms to achieve critical mass ("critical mass" is a term first coined in nuclear physics and now applied routinely to general usage) in a very split second, in order for an explosion to occur. If the split second timing is not achieved, all you get is a very messy meltdown. The explosion at Chernobyl was not a nuclear explosion, it was the supporting cooling pipes and stuff that blew up, leading to catastrophic systems failure. There was never any danger of Chernobyl blowing up like an atomic bomb.

A conventional attack on a nuclear device bearing submarine or plane is highly unlikely to trigger a nuclear explosion.
Thanks! That's what I suspect from the differences in end-result of melt-down in nuclear plant like Chernobyl. It didn't have the critical mass of intended for a atomic and nuclear bomb to achieve the kind of desvatation. There is another kind of explosion which is more power but I can seem to remember its name......

Status
Not open for further replies.