Nuclear Energy

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
After Fukushima, will nuclear energy be less popular?

Yes.

For a while only.

Then nuclear energy will be back. Can explain that Fukushima is obsolete tech that should have been closed down long ago. Nowadays the advanced reactors are better.

Real reason:
You got no choice. Oil is a wasting asset.

Hope for future:
Nuclear Fusion.

So called alternatives?
Fuel made from palm oil or from Maize (corn)? Only good for show. Not viable on large industrial scale basis. Food is meant to be eaten. Not for your car.

yeah loh.

must update mah!

but will need to be earthquake-proof, tsunami-proof, and terrorist-proof... LOL

alternatives will be re-using shits as a natural fuel ;)

After Fukushima, will nuclear energy be less popular?

Yes.

For a while only.

Then nuclear energy will be back. Can explain that Fukushima is obsolete tech that should have been closed down long ago. Nowadays the advanced reactors are better.

Real reason:
You got no choice. Oil is a wasting asset.

Hope for future:
Nuclear Fusion.

So called alternatives?
Fuel made from palm oil or from Maize (corn)? Only good for show. Not viable on large industrial scale basis. Food is meant to be eaten. Not for your car.

hmm. fusion is clean. main products are water. but energy emitted is a lot...

so far tech hasnt reached that level yet i think...

hmm. fusion is clean. main products are water. but energy emitted is a lot...

so far tech hasnt reached that level yet i think...

lets wait for the extraterrestrial beings who are coming to share their advanced nuclear technology next year... LOL

how viable is fusion really? based on the research now...more energy is needed to induce fusion than produced by it...non non non...let's hope matter-antimatter reactors comes into play.....or maybe even a core tap, a zero point module, or an arc reactor...or project arturus, or...

There are biofuels that taps on cellulose and lignin, which are abundant in parts that humans do not eat. But yes, biofuels are currently not very cost effective and energy efficient to produce, imho.

PRC has the next generation nuclear energy coming up. It was discovered by the U.S. in the 50's but never developed because the Americans didn't want clean nuclear energy. They prefered dirty nuclear energy to build nuclear bombs to go against the Russians so now China is going to develop it for it's own use. It's a very exciting development.

see here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...nd-China-is-leading-the-way-with-thorium.html

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/02/china-thorium-power/

Last edited:
PRC has the next generation nuclear energy coming up. It was discovered by the U.S. in the 50's but never developed because the Americans didn't want clean nuclear energy. They prefered dirty nuclear energy to build nuclear bombs to go against the Russians so now China is going to develop it for it's own use. It's a very exciting development.

see here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...nd-China-is-leading-the-way-with-thorium.html

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/02/china-thorium-power/

after reading it? nah. probably not very efficient. seems like u have to constantly bombard it with photons, ie an energy source. reaction ends when u stop, not self sustainable. good in the sense of safety, bad in the sense energy generated is probably very small. the radioactive material i am also not sure of it. how long is its decay life?

i'll look forward to fusion anytime i guess.

seems like u have to constantly bombard it with photons, ie an energy source. reaction ends when u stop, not self sustainable. good in the sense of safety, bad in the sense energy generated is probably very small.

how do you know how much energy it takes to bomard it with photons? The amt of energy used for the reaction could be extremely small compared with what you get back out. Anyway I'm sure they already have worked out these little details and wouldn't dedicate all the research into it if it's not a sound idea. Even if it's not perfect thorium tech should better than what we've got now. Sounds like a good intermediate technology in evolution to something even better.

Use humans as battery like in the Matrix :D

how do you know how much energy it takes to bomard it with photons? The amt of energy used for the reaction could be extremely small compared with what you get back out. Anyway I'm sure they already have worked out these little details and wouldn't dedicate all the research into it if it's not a sound idea. Even if it's not perfect thorium tech should better than what we've got now. Sounds like a good intermediate technology in evolution to something even better.
hold on. now i am really lost.

energy input leads to atom splitting, therefore making fission. if output energy is lower than input energy... then there is no chain reaction.

but by the fact output energy is lower than input, it means ur stuffing stuff into the reaction and getting less. doesnt make any sense to me actually.

I saw from a movie many years ago ...

There was this young english boy whose fart can powered a space rocket ...

It's fart power !

google said:
I saw from a movie many years ago ...

There was this young english boy whose fart can powered a space rocket ...

It's fart power !

Singapore's gotta stack up on beans then.

Or better yet, huddle up those notorious fart-producing uncles and have them a go all at the same time.

Human beings as a power source will have resulted in negative net energy balance produced instead. Simply put it, we require more energy for metabolism than what we can give off as a electrical and thermal generator.

In the Matrix comics, human beings are used as parallel computing clusters of "multiprocessors" linked to operate as the ultimate supercomputer for the machines.

9V-Orion Images said:
Human beings as a power source will have resulted in negative net energy balance produced instead. Simply put it, we require more energy for metabolism than what we can give off as a electrical and thermal generator.

In the Matrix comics, human beings are used as parallel computing clusters of "multiprocessors" linked to operate as the ultimate supercomputer for the machines.

The Architect? Is that you? :D

Last edited:
Germany has decided to stop nuclear energy. But then again, the US has been using nuclear submarines and nuclear powered aircraft carriers for a long time.
Oil will run out. There is a concept called "peak oil". It means after the oil that is easy to extract, oil production will peak and thereafter fall. The rest of oil is very hard and costly to extract. The "peak" was reached in the 1970s. There is also a concept called petrol-dollar. Middle East oil is sold and bought using US dollar only. The US dollar moved away from the gold standard since 1971. It is a fiat currency. USA continues to over consume.

Last edited:
Lets wait for the lizards from V to give us ''Blue Energy".... :bsmilie: