NTU billed me 3 yrs after I left - $150

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takumi

Dec 7, 2002
Visit site
Hello, just sharing this incident with you.
I've left NTU in 2002 and checked out of my hostel room.

In 2005, NTU sent me a bill stating that I owe them $150 in unpaid bills and fines. This was totally out of the blue as I didn't even know I had to pay the money when I turned in my keys.

In the bill it mentioned that I had to go down to their admin and pay.
I didn't pay up, as the demand was ridiculous (expect me to take 1/2 day leave to go down to NTU to pay 3 years after I've left? Nuts)

Now in 2007, NTU has started calling me again, mentioning that they could not 'write off' my bill.

Anyone sharing this situation with me? Did you pay up?

well, dunno what exactly you owe them... if the date and items involved tally, you should pay...

probably you could ask them if they accept cheque or paypal.

Hold on a second, I thought all these stuff shld be settled the moment u return ur keys?

In the first place, when u're 'fined' (for whatever reasons), did u know it in the first place? Did they send reminders and u simply bochup?

If so, its ur fault, go pay up. Coming here screaming about the money you had owed is not going to help in writing the bill off unless u had been wrongfully billed.

So, which goes? Lemme guess. Self-p3wned thread? :dunno:

Hold on a second, I thought all these stuff shld be settled the moment u return ur keys?

In the first place, when u're 'fined' (for whatever reasons), did u know it in the first place? Did they send reminders and u simply bochup?

If so, its ur fault, go pay up. Coming here screaming about the money you had owed is not going to help in writing the bill off unless u had been wrongfully billed.

Self Fullpwning Prophecy... :bsmilie:

In 2005, NTU sent me a bill stating that I owe them $150 in unpaid bills and fines. This was totally out of the blue as I didn't even know I had to pay the money when I turned in my keys.

I didn't pay up, as the demand was ridiculous (expect me to take 1/2 day leave to go down to NTU to pay 3 years after I've left? Nuts)

Now in 2007, NTU has started calling me again, mentioning that they could not 'write off' my bill.

wait until 2009. see if the cycle comes up again. :bsmilie:

Also before you collect your degree certificate and transcript, there should be an reminder for you to check whether you have paid all your dues. So maybe you should have checked then?

The point is, if you really owe them money, if they have overlooked 3 years ago, they still have the right to demand payment, not too sure about the panelty or interest (you have a case to fight if it is their mistake and they didn't notify you, you can fight to pay only the main amount without panelty nor interest). If you agreed with the bill, don't have to take the trouble to go down personally, ask for the bill and post them a cheque. If you want to be sure, you can go to post office to sent then by registered post

Even if you don't have Cheque, I am sure you can pay cash to your friend and ask for a cheque from you friend. Worsed still, go to the bank to buy bankdraft (Cheque issued from a bank), it cost only $5 per bankdraft.

Legally, if you ignore their request for payment, they can take you to court, and it can cost up to a thousand dollars for the legal and court fee.

or ntu could take you to small claims court! hehe!! not for 3 years old debt.

Legally, if you ignore their request for payment, they can take you to court, and it can cost up to a thousand dollars for the legal and court fee.

Hold on a second, I thought all these stuff shld be settled the moment u return ur keys?:
Yes, but apparently they didn't settle it and didn't tell me I owe them money at that time.

No they didn't tell me, they didn't send me anything until 3 yrs later, so I didn't 'bochup'.

If so, its ur fault, go pay up. Coming here screaming about the money you had owed is not going to help in writing the bill off unless u had been wrongfully billed.:

In my original post I was asking if anyone is in a similar situation that was billed (not even billed - but just shot a letter 3 yrs after I grad; like "You owe us $150." with no explanation at all.), and whether they did pay up or not. Secondly I would also like to highlight that as the way goes, this is a poor operational practice on the part of NTU. Third is that I can't really remember whether I owe them money as I have not kept the receipts.

Your kind of responses would indicate who really has self pwned.

Anyway for readers info I am considering paying.

If I were you I would just pay up in 2005 and live in peace forever. If you don't pay up now, they will bug you again. You want a peace of mind or you want to skimp on the transport to travel there to pay up? :cool: You decide.

Yes, I have a similar incident (was a lib fine), however i take my time to pay up (since they take their time to bill me). :lovegrin:

I suspect it may be a common occurence in the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.