NTFS to FAT32

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotgraphy

Deregistered
Jul 9, 2005
Any freewares that i can do the convertion without losing the existing data on a notebook harddisk? Help help and TIA!

I suppose it's possible since a FAT32 to NTFS conversion can be easilly done at msdos prompt. Try using your windows Help and Support and search for < convert fat32 to ntfs > to find out the relevant commands.

short of using software like partition magic, there's no way to convert NTFS back to FAT32. i encountered the same problem some mths ago when i was trying to reformat an old notebook hdd (NTFS) for my compactdrive (FAT32).

and, yep. u'll lose all data in the process.

what i know is that you can convert from FAT--->NTFS but not the other way round.

safest way is still to transfer out the contents of that harddisk, reformat it in FAT32 and throw back the stuff.

No you can't without using 3rd party sw... and even thou with PM, there are many that reports bug and gliches and error... be vary...

My recommendation is to leave it as NTFS and read off the data instead of converting it back into FAT32. If you have problems accessing an NTFS partition, do a search on the Internet for an NTFS driver - there are versions for Win98 and Linux. Without saying, WinNT, Win2K and WinXP can read/write NTFS partitions natively.

Do let us know why you want to convert NTFS -> FAT32 and we may be able to offer more solutions.

hotgraphy said:
Any freewares that i can do the convertion without losing the existing data on a notebook harddisk? Help help and TIA!

Copy files to external harddisk, reformat the partition, and transfer the files back.

Status
Not open for further replies.