NSC experience... on 24-70/2.8

bethpapa74

Jan 28, 2011
just wanna share my experience today...

recently my beloved 24-70/2.8 had a hard drop at Niagara Falls.
inner barrel cracked, zoom ring became stiff, cannot mount any filters... luckily it can still AF.

immediately after I landed this morning, I jump on a cab to mark my first trip to NSC. It was a long and stressful 30mins ride.
I was served promptly by a friendly, patient and confident CS. the moment she saw my lens, she said "OUCH".

After detail examination on the lens, she told me they could offer me a brand new lens for $750, with a brand new serial number. this isn't an amount I'm prepared to pay at that point... so I called up Camera Hospital to look for Steven and upon describing my situation, he told me to grab that offer from Nikon. Barrel replacement, re-alignment and assembling would easily cost 1200sgd he told me.

Without much hesitation, I took up NSC offer.. luckily they have few in stock. overall, I felt very warmth and secured dealing with them, and very very happy with these after sales services...

they even gave me a free sensor cleaning :)

Do they take back the spoiled lens?

Last edited:
yes of course... guess they will send back Japan for refurb, then the cycle starts from there.

not much local service can do without alignment jigs, parts, and knowledge.

was your old lens still on warranty?

and yah... replacing parts is always the killer. nice of them to replace + top up for you. :)

nightwolf75 said:
was your old lens still on warranty?

yes, lens is only 5 months old...
I was told even out of warranty, the offer may still stand.

Wah, looks like can do drop test lor :bsmilie:

So it was a good experience in all eh?

Blur Shadow said:
So it was a good experience in all eh?

it was a painful lesson...
I was lucky I didn't attach my nd filters as it was during night shoot.

stillnikon said:
Wah, looks like can do drop test lor :bsmilie:

this lens was built like a tank. I dropped it from about 4 feet onto hard concrete... for a moment I thought it was going to shattered.

yes, lens is only 5 months old...
I was told even out of warranty, the offer may still stand.

is this standard practice for them or just a limited promotion? nice to know NSC's got your back when your equipment gets damaged. $750 top-up to trade for an out-of-warranty, damaged lens isn't half bad :)

$750 for a drop test is a bit too expensive....;)
Ya la, kidding lor, heart beri pain even if minor scratches :cry:

this lens was built like a tank. I dropped it from about 4 feet onto hard concrete... for a moment I thought it was going to shattered.
Ya man, this lens is simply a tanker but very a little too heavy. At least, u got a good deal rather having to spend a fortune to repair:) Now u hv a all new 24-70 :cool:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear abt that accident. Kudos to NSC again.

So far I've only seen Kai dropped 24-70 before... :p

pasay said:
is this standard practice for them or just a limited promotion? nice to know NSC's got your back when your equipment gets damaged. $750 top-up to trade for an out-of-warranty, damaged lens isn't half bad :)

from the way I see it... its kinda std procedure as I've mentioned before, nsc gurus have limited reach on repairing these expensive lens, hence a most direct way would be replacement.

anyone who worked in a Japanese firm will know that they tends to be IP protective ... and secretive

I didn't know we could try out lenses in NSC. today I lay my finger on the 14-24/2.8... impressive!!

waiting to sell my shares to feed the bbb devil! :)

The TS lens is within warranty....

GReddyZC76 said:
No offense, just wanna understand more, warranty also cover accidential mishandling too?

actually I did Google "I dropped my 24-70 lens"... apparently some folks in the states were also receiving the same offer as me... nikon usa offer him a replacement for 1/5 of the retail price.

come to think about it, this is really a nice gesture!

actually I did Google "I dropped my 24-70 lens"... apparently some folks in the states were also receiving the same offer as me... nikon usa offer him a replacement for 1/5 of the retail price.

come to think about it, this is really a nice gesture!

they have to, canon & sony are slowly creeping into their market share. good after sales service is a good move. my colleague sent in a compact to canon recently and was told it was not economical to service. instead csc offered a good trade in price for a new cam. initially i dont believe it so i cautioned him to check actual retail pricing with reputable shops before accepting and it turned out it was indeed cheaper by close to a 100 for a 600 plus compact, almost 15% off actual retail.

personally what i have experienced with nsc & heard from others about nsc isnt that great, at least on the behind the scene service tech staff. The front desk customer supporting officer is great though, they are helpful & patient.

Last edited: