NSC can do a better job

?? did you request for CCD clean? if not, why you expect them to clean the CCD? I mean if I am a technician, and customer don't request for CCD clean, I will not be so bo liao as to touch the CCD. Later scratch or something and then the customer complain, I never ask you to clean CCD why you go and touch it... :sweat:

While I did not request for a CCD clean, many of you might not have noticed I mentioned I paid S$120 for service , that mean, S$120 purely for labour, over and above the material I have paid for. Or at least NSC should do a CCD check and ask me if I want to have it cleaned.

While I did not request for a CCD clean, many of you might not have noticed I mentioned I paid S$120 for service , that mean, S$120 purely for labour, over and above the material I have paid for. Or at least NSC should do a CCD check and ask me if I want to have it cleaned.

better don't complain abt labour cost, the last time some dude complained, kena bang by the moderators :confused:

While I did not request for a CCD clean, many of you might not have noticed I mentioned I paid S$120 for service, that mean, S$120 purely for labour, over and above the material I have paid for. Or at least NSC should do a CCD check and ask me if I want to have it cleaned.

You paid $120 for labor to get your problems fixed. That was the quote to you, as labor charges required to get your problem fixed. If price is the issue here, you could have brought it to a 3rd party to get it fixed for less. It is not a total "camera spa" treatment you were quoted for and paid for. It is a repair order. So, did they fulfill every part of the repair order? I think they did.

They could have given you a free sensor cleaning to make you super happy. But remember, they are not obliged to give you one. And here you are saying they have to give you one because cost of labor is over a certain amount. So if you eat at macdonalds, do they have give you free apple pies everytime you buy food for 5 people instead of 1?

Price of labor charges and whether they gave you a free CCD cleaning are 2 totally unrelated issue.

If you wanted a CCD cleaning in the first place, ask for one. They just might throw it in for free.

BTW, most of the times when I see people getting a free sensor clean is when the repairs require that they open up the front area of the camera. So it wouldn't take 2 mins to just clean the sensor while at it. Your problem is at the back of the camera, and the rubber grips (on the outside of the camera).

Last edited:
better don't complain abt labour cost, the last time some dude complained, kena bang by the moderators :confused:

Actually, everyone has a choice. Think the labor charge is too high, when quoted the price, can just walk away and look for 3rd party to fix. That hard meh?

I mean, if you own a toyota you bought from Borneo motors. And it broke down. If Borneo quoted you a price and you are not happy with it, you can also approach other car repair shops to get the work done. Same concept.

actually why didn't you ASK for it??? if you have ASKED for a CCD clean, they MIGHT waive the charge.

Personal experience with NSC is that they can be flexible regarding small things and try to make customer happy.

But if you did not ask for it.... then cannot complain when they did not do it....

Just to set the record straight:
TS did not complain about the repair charges to his camera. In fact he said it was fair. So let's put that issue aside.

What he's grumbling about (and from the post it's just a minor grumble) is that they didn't "automatically" throw in free sensor cleaning.

In the end, he accepts that NSC is not obligated to do so.
Therefore... case closed... :)

The focus here is going beyond the common customer expectations. I can't think of people who would frown at having their sensor cleaned foc unless of course it was damaged during the process but that's another matter altogether. In the same vein, if you have a shirt or suit that's missing a button before sending it to the laundry in hotels, they typically remove the extra buttons in your suit and sew it on for you. Most people would be happy that the hotel took care of fine details like this. Of course, there is always the case where some people may not like it but i think that is the minority. It is interesting though to note the difference in beliefs, which may boil down to cultural differences.

Put it simply,I think NSC makes more $$ charging for their services than selling cameras. Of course that's just my personal observation .

I'm still reeling from the $800 bill they charged just for changing the small little "silent wave motor" in my 17-35mm f2.8. That's about a third of the total cost of the lens!!!!! They didn't even replace the front lens cap that's almost kaput:thumbsd:

Put it simply,I think NSC makes more $$ charging for their services than selling cameras. Of course that's just my personal observation .

I'm still reeling from the $800 bill they charged just for changing the small little "silent wave motor" in my 17-35mm f2.8. That's about a third of the total cost of the lens!!!!! They didn't even replace the front lens cap that's almost kaput:thumbsd:

You are always welcome to look for 3rd party repair people if you are not happy with the costs of repair. Some of them are as competent as, if not more skilled than, technical staff at NSC.

You always have the choice to select your vendors.

It's the trend in here. Noone would bother to start a thread about good service but create one when they felt shortchanged even though what they requested for was done. :)

I think it's fair...you didn't specifiy for a ccd clean and NSC won't do it for you. Neither will they take extra step to check if dust has entered the sensor during repair...they don't have to clean the body before asking you to collect too..:)

cleaning of ccd sensor can be a potential source where the camera is permanently changed - i.e. scratching of ccd sensor.

if you are the boss of the technician, then it is up to you how to direct your staff. but if there is no clear statement, and company policy does not stipulate additional service such as ccd cleaning.. what would you do if the technician accidentally trash the sensor when providing value added service?

do you think most bosses will pat the technician on the back, write it off as a loss while going the extra mile? or just dock the pay from the technician? :bsmilie:

of course, some will say that technician do so long, will not have such incidents.. are you sure? humans are perfect robots now? :bsmilie:

Sounds like getting ccd sensor cleaned is a high risk decision. I suppose NSC can stop offering the service. ;)

Was that $800 for labour alone? The SWM is an expensive part to fix when it fails; its small size is no indicator of the cost and complexity
You should look at the pictures in the 17-35mm is kaput thread ... @#$%! it looks pretty darn complicated in there! lol, mine squeaks when focusing, think my heart squeaks along with it too *cough cough*

A repair which cost you a third of a new lens and didn't even bother to replace a worn out lens cap for free. I think NSC manager is either working under a very tight budget or he needs a training on how to keep loyal customers.

One of the things that delight customers is going the extra mile.

After a repair bill of $120 or $800, the technician can check to see whether the sensor needs any cleaning. He can recommend a cleaning at a discount or for free. The customer will be delighted whether he accepts the offer or not.

A skillful technician should be able to check and clean a sensor in less than 10 mins. There are overhead involved if the sensor cleaning is a separate transaction but if it is part of a service job, the only cost is the 10 mins labor.

Last edited:
A repair which cost you a third of a new lens and didn't even bother to replace a worn out lens cap for free. I think NSC manager is either working under a very tight budget or he needs a training on how to keep loyal customers.

One of the things that delight customers is going the extra mile.

After a repair bill of $120 or $800, the technician can check to see whether the sensor needs any cleaning. He can recommend a cleaning at a discount or for free. The customer will be delighted whether he accepts the offer or not.

A skillful technician should be able to check and clean a sensor in less than 10 mins. There are overhead involved if the sensor cleaning is a separate transaction but if it is part of a service job, the only cost is the 10 mins labor.

Right. Offer free service here and there. Do extra work to try to make customers happy. But because of extra work, all the other works gets delayed. And in the end, everything that takes 2 days become a week. And people will complain why it take so long to get something done... blah blah blah... It never ends.

10mins may seem trivial to you. But it adds up. 6 jobs getting free sensor clean will equate to an hour. That can translate to one or two lens repair jobs PER TECHNICIAN. Say they have 10 technicians with 20 jobs each a day. How many man days does your 10min per job translate to? Do the math. You should look at the amount of work that goes through NSC nowadays. If every thing that comes through gets a free clean (be it lens or sensor), you will lose not mins, but days. If I am the service manager, between getting a complaint for not going the extra mile to do extra things, or getting complaint for not being able to get work done in a timely fashion due to piling backlog. I will choose the former. There are many people also complaining that they want their work done faster. Come in for sensor cleaning, they want it back on the spot. Come in for lens cleaning, they want it back within the hour. How to please? Who to please?

So let me ask you this question: If you need something repaired. And normally it would take 2 days to do in the past. Would you be willing to wait a week for it, instead, but you will get your sensor cleaned for free?

There is always an opportunity cost. The customer needs to be reasonable as well. It is not just about you. There are other customers as well.

Like I said many times now. NSC is not the only place you can get work done on your Nikon products. You can always go to other repair joints if you are not happy with the service or the price. Nothing wrong with that, it is your right as a consumer (this is the one right the consumer definitely have). You will also help NSC lower their work load as well and make it better for other customers who do not mind the pricing and the service at NSC.

Last edited:
You are always welcome to look for 3rd party repair people if you are not happy with the costs of repair. Some of them are as competent as, if not more skilled than, technical staff at NSC.

You always have the choice to select your vendors.

Actually I did some research before sending to NSC for the silent wave motor repair BUT don't think there's any vendor in S'pore who can do it or who has the part. It's not like cleaning some fungus infected glass or something where u can just send to anyone.Don't expect me to fly to some countries to repair it right?;)

Actually I did some research before sending to NSC for the silent wave motor repair BUT don't think there's any vendor in S'pore who can do it or who has the part. It's not like cleaning some fungus infected glass or something where u can just send to anyone.Don't expect me to fly to some countries to repair it right?;)

Actually, I know for a fact there is. And he is right smack in Singapore. I guess you did not research enough? ;)

Last edited:
Actually, I know for a fact there is. And he is right smack in Singapore. I guess you did not research enough? ;)

How about parts, esp SWM? To my understanding, Japan always have tight control on their servo motor parts regarding exporting to other countries...

How about parts, esp SWM? To my understanding, Japan always have tight control on their servo motor parts regarding exporting to other countries...

When there is a will, there is a way. ;)

I ain't saying more. Wanna know, have to PM me... And I will only answer people I am familiar with. Sorry. It is a matter of national security.. ;):bsmilie: