NS deferment possible due to upcoming vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Juz tryin my luck asking you guys though i think the chances are extremely slim...

Wonder if any of you have been successful when asking for NS deferment due to a planned vacation overseas? It's so difficult for me to arrange with my friend to go overseas since we have limited periods in a year to take leave. Now this NS thingy got to crop up! Grrr.

Will they listen to me? *doubt so* Of course they can say NS training take priority but prob is, it disrupts my whole personal vacation schedule! :(

Juz tryin my luck asking you guys though i think the chances are extremely slim...

Wonder if any of you have been successful when asking for NS deferment due to a planned vacation overseas? It's so difficult for me to arrange with my friend to go overseas since we have limited periods in a year to take leave. Now this NS thingy got to crop up! Grrr.

Will they listen to me? *doubt so* Of course they can say NS training take priority but prob is, it disrupts my whole personal vacation schedule! :(
Unless Army's ur grandfather/father own one (literally), chances of getting deferment like this is a no.

U can try ur luck, but dun expect a deferment to be granted. That's just about it. :bsmilie:

Anyway, no point asking here oso. Even if there ARE people working in MINDEF, SAF or even in ur unit, the chances of letting friendship conflict with their professional work and granting a deferment is also close to zero.

Just out of curiosity, what if you had already booked and paid (with receipts to prove of course) BEFORE you got informed of your ICT. And cancelling the holiday (or whatever it is) will result in the loss of a couple of thousand, say 5k for a theoretical sum.

Will you get your deferment then? If not, why should the individual have to bear this loss?

(sorry, I'm not a reservist and never will be. Just satisfying my curiosity)

Most ICT was informed to you 6 mths in advance. Therefore, if you planned for a tour n after the ICT, it might not be a success. Unless the ICT letter came in later n you already booked, you might ended up with a higher chance of success.

Anyway, you can still try if you want, no harm trying, right? ;)

Unless Army's ur grandfather/father own one (literally), chances of getting deferment like this is a no.

U can try ur luck, but dun expect a deferment to be granted. That's just about it. :bsmilie:

Anyway, no point asking here oso. Even if there ARE people working in MINDEF, SAF or even in ur unit, the chances of letting friendship conflict with their professional work and granting a deferment is also close to zero.

No lah, this is just kopitiam talk wad.... So just some casual discussion. I'm not expecting MINDEF official to step in CS and say.. Blah blah blah... I just wanna know IF there are people successful in deferring the way I've described.

And no one person owns the Army. Not even the PM or president. Though of cos, relations with the big shots might be easier to get things your way.

Just out of curiosity, what if you had already booked and paid (with receipts to prove of course) BEFORE you got informed of your ICT. And cancelling the holiday (or whatever it is) will result in the loss of a couple of thousand, say 5k for a theoretical sum.

Will you get your deferment then? If not, why should the individual have to bear this loss?

(sorry, I'm not a reservist and never will be. Just satisfying my curiosity)

Yah, this is a question I've always wondered....

Anyway, mine was informed just 3-4 months. Don't even know what in the world it is. No info and no tel number to call my unit even. Everything is thru Internet and sms indirectly.

I think if your CO approves, then it should be OK. If you have some way of contacting and talking to your CO, it might work.

There is a directive that your ICT call up Notice Letter should be send out to you at least 6 months in advance, so then you can schedule your plans accordingly. Thus, think this might be your greatest trumph card that you can try to bang on hard, especially so if the SAF 100 Notice came to you less than 6 months in advance. You can explain that since it's less than 6 months notice, it had already disturpted your plan very badly, thus, it's only fare to you that they should defer your ICT, especially so when the holiday plan was already paid up.

If the SAF100 Notice did come to you more than 6 months in advance, then you still can try to write in to request, citing that due to 'overseas assignment'. You can try to ask your company's HR Dept to write a letter to help you to jusify your deferment.

I think if your CO approves, then it should be OK. If you have some way of contacting and talking to your CO, it might work.

Whoa, :sweat: dun think this is the proper channel?! I mean, the big guy would hate to receive so many such calls...

There is a directive that your ICT call up Notice Letter should be send out to you at least 6 months in advance, so then you can schedule your plans accordingly. Thus, think this might be your greatest trumph card that you can try to bang on hard, especially so if the SAF 100 Notice came to you less than 6 months in advance. You can explain that since it's less than 6 months notice, it had already disturpted your plan very badly, thus, it's only fare to you that they should defer your ICT, especially so when the holiday plan was already paid up.

If the SAF100 Notice did come to you more than 6 months in advance, then you still can try to write in to request, citing that due to 'overseas assignment'. You can try to ask your company's HR Dept to write a letter to help you to jusify your deferment.

Oh thanks Bored Dad for the suggestion! I didn't know they have to issue 6months notice?! Come to think of it, mine was only 3 1/2 months.

Maybe I can make some noise. Well, the problem is, I haven't paid for the vacation but it was indeed planned to fall in the period. I wonder if they could turn things around on me. It's not easy for me and my friend to get the same leave period. Those guys in Army... wonder if they will accept such a reason. But I can try...

On your second point, isn't that lying? And don't think my HR will want to get into such hot soup!

But thanks again... Will work on the first one.

Please don't give advice like this. It's a matter of ethics. Heh.

Haha... Good, at least you guys did notice this part about ethical issue.

Yes, it'll equals to lying. So it's not a good thing to do.

But what you can do is to explain that you had already paid up for the holiday package and there won't be any refund or will have a great loss if cancelled. Who would then repay you the losses you suffered?

The biggest point you can try to use is if you did receive the SAF100 notice less than 6 months in advance.

i tink the chances for deferment are very very slim or can say zero. Mine is also coming up and tried to defer (for diff reasons) but was downright rejected.

They only informed me 4 months b4hand and the rejection letter even said AMPLE TIME was given to make arragements... craps.

My conclusion is, as long as u are a singaporean male, you are still very much under control by the you-know-who external force here. At least till you are 40. They dun give a damn for whatever reasons you give as long as they are changeable.

Remember in the Army days when you felt like you were going to pass out, just short of dying but they still pushed you during PT? It's the same here as NSmen now. ORD does not mean s*** is over for some NS guys. they can call you back as and when they are pleased and you jolly well listen to them.

What irks me is I have my own life, and I need to do my own stuffs. Of cos, many times nothing is a matter of life and death. You can always reschedule your vacation or improvise your work (dun those SAF guys love to use this word???). But it does create lots of inconvenience to yourself or your employer. I heard some friends lament even attending lessons are not good enough! Hands up those of you who get called back while still studying in uni or some institution.

I'm not shunning away from responsibilities. I've served many ICTs. But there are times when it's really genuine and you want to take your off but just can't cos you are still under their clutches.

For me, I'm Pes C2 and every time I go back for ICT, it's just plain idle and wasting of time cos I do menial stuffs which I also did while I was a younger 18-20 year old NSF. But it was different then since every Sporean male had to go thru NS and I told myself I'd do all the s*** duties/work without much complaint. I also told myself I would get out of that s*** once I ORD. But nope.

And yes, in case you are wondering where tax payers money go to, it's to call me back for >$1k a week doing stuffs which are not critical. Photocopy notes. Sit down for hours doing nothing in my No.4 while the commanders drink coffee and discuss their businesses which I don't understand at all.

There are some Pes A and super fit guy friends of mine who have never been called back after donkey years. Wat's going on SAF??? :angry:

Unless you can prove you booked the package before the SAF100 was served.

Dun even need the CO lah.. Just the OC and S1 can liao. But don't do it too often lah.. I'm going 34 and still owe them 6 high keys.. my unit closing down liao.. ;p Very low morale when you know the people in your unit going MR, no need to take IPPT anymore etc. and I'll still probably be going for IPT every year till I'm 40.. :(

Yah, this is a question I've always wondered....

Anyway, mine was informed just 3-4 months. Don't even know what in the world it is. No info and no tel number to call my unit even. Everything is thru Internet and sms indirectly.
Nowadays everything thru Internet liaoz. No more SAF100 notice oredi. :sweat:

Anyway it depends for them. It once took them as fast as just 3 days to approve my deferment to as long as 2wks and 24hrs BEFORE my ICT and I have to screw them thoroughly before they approved it, 1hr before working office hour end. :sweat:

Oh thanks Bored Dad for the suggestion! I didn't know they have to issue 6months notice?! Come to think of it, mine was only 3 1/2 months.

Maybe I can make some noise. Well, the problem is, I haven't paid for the vacation but it was indeed planned to fall in the period. I wonder if they could turn things around on me. It's not easy for me and my friend to get the same leave period. Those guys in Army... wonder if they will accept such a reason. But I can try...

On your second point, isn't that lying? And don't think my HR will want to get into such hot soup!

But thanks again... Will work on the first one.
Pretty hard. That 'same leave' thingy.

Still, try ur luck. Its like playing bookie Toto. No need 3 + 1 to win $20. 2 or 3 numbers can win liaoz. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.