now..LX3 or EP1

gbn2377

May 28, 2010
So long I was doing with point to shoot camera.Recently I got interest in photography and made more interesting while seeing own creativity side.So I decided to do away with small stuffs and thought of getting a better one to do better.After hearing and seeing many I was planning to get lx3 cos it was better in photo,looks and compactness and within my budget.But recently noted the ep1 priced coming down.Now ep1 with a kit lens can get around $900 but lx3 still holds around $650.I am in a dilemma now.Do I pick lx3 or spend extra 250 and get ep1 which may give better picture still compact and attractive,can be a better investment to since the money is hard earned.I know this forum got many expertise can give me some insights....looking forward to it....Thank you in advance :)

hi im a noob too, but I know ep1 doesn't come with built-in flash so it may be abit troublesome if u need to capture image in the dark/low light condition

I don't remember when was the last time i use flash in my compact which I have .If possible i will always avoid flash.....Si that was actually okey for me...

When in doubt, buy both. Haha!

We can't give u comments which to buy lah. I own LX-3, GF-1, EP-1. But now I'm left with only EP-1.

If I'm u, I will get the EP-1 from BS and try out first. If u like it then u keep it. But, I can tell u that LX-3 is a very good camera.

I know my reply doesn't make any different but I want to let u know, the decision is urs and do what ur wallet say. Haha.

They are 2 diff class of camera altogether. LX 3 a compact compare to a m4/3 DSLR which lens are changable....etc.

ep1 is not really that compact when you attach the 14-42 lens.. cant fit into pocket like lx3..

how abt LX3 or EPL1?

how abt LX3 or EPL1?

I decided to wait by using a second hand LX2...LX3 getting old but still holding high price and others are getting cheaper.Definitely LX3 is a great camera but not convinced with the price while comparing others:dunno:.My heart is with Nex5 now.Once the price drop further grab it...:think:

The announcement of the LX5 is just around the corner. Might want to wait for that one :)

The announcement of the LX5 is just around the corner. Might want to wait for that one :)
when comes new always with a heavy price..EP2 dropped nearly $500 with in 6 months.So always prefer to buy which stabilized by pricing and readily available when I am opt for it...;)

when comes new always with a heavy price..EP2 dropped nearly $500 with in 6 months.So always prefer to buy which stabilized by pricing and readily available when I am opt for it...;)

if you can wait, wait. cos a lot new camera coming out.:sweatsm:

if you can wait, wait. cos a lot new camera coming out.:sweatsm:

Patience is the ability to count down before you blast off. ~Author Unknown

Get the EP1.

The ability to change lens is a hugh plus over the LX3. :)

Should be asking yourself which one you prefer... LX3's compactness or EP1's flexibility.
Its really tough to decide based on price alone, simply because the lx3 and ep1 belong to different classes.
that's my 2 cents worth

Since you already have LX2, then you should get EP1.

EP1 is an upgrade (in camera category) over your LX2 while LX3 is a replacement.

When you can afford a bit of weight on the road, EP1 offers you more options. When you really need portability, at least you still got LX2.

If you buy LX3, then your LX2 becomes redundant.

Buy latest panasonic g10, $850 at cathay.

Got flash, faster focus than olympus,
Many override buttons, good for learning photography.
Much bigger sensor than lx3/lx5.

Get an M4/3...

Later still can upgrade with nice 20mm f1.7 lens.
Easier to shoot human portraits with nice bokeh... something that point and shoot is more difficult to do.

Last edited:
Ever thought of getting the NEX-3 or 5?
Now i am getting serious about NEX3...even the reviews saying its image quality better than GF1