Now it's my turn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least they have credit you.

However, there is no harm contact them first and see what they will say.

Good luck.

Hart

email them and find out the situation first. see what they say
seems like they got the image from thephotoforum? check out the term of use of that forum as well.

Last edited:
Got hold of the writer's email. What do I write? Ask for money compensation? Or do I need a laywer's letter to do it....

I know no one that is a lawyer LOL. I'm 15 and all my friends are football mates and schoolmates LOL. Any kind photography enthusiest who is a lawyer can help me?

Sue them? Do you really want to incur the legal fees upfront to do so? Even if they pay for using your photo, will they even pay your legal fees?

The best you can do is to write to them, demand to be paid for the use of the photo, or remove them immediately. I suspect that they'll do the latter.

Seriously, in today's world the copyright in a tough thing. Look at the music and movie industry. I'm not saying that it is right and I'm not condoning this, the fact that all of us now post our works online (esp from amateurs), there is a risk of it being used without permission.

I figured that that is a world that we have to come to terms with. So no choice lah. We live in a big bad world of Internet. :devil:

email them and find out the situation first. see what they say
seems like they got the image from thephotoforum? check out the term of use of that forum as well.

Just read the terms. Says nothing about copyright. I did say on my flickr that photos can be used for non commercial purposes. I belive this counts as commercial purpose right?

Just read the terms. Says nothing about copyright. I did say on my flickr that photos can be used for non commercial purposes. I belive this counts as commercial purpose right?

If they didn't take it from flickr but from elsewhere then you can't use this to argue what...

oh ya, bro, your sports series....haha..seems like they can just come to "Thephotoforum" and get loads of photos..haha..
erhh, let's analyse, since uploading to CS means it's accessible to public, would they be allowed to just use your photos without your permission?

Anyway, I am all for to support you:"just sue them la"....quoting from you;p

If they didn't take it from flickr but from elsewhere then you can't use this to argue what...
Well it's linked from flickr. Does that count? Ultimatly they still took it from flickr.
oh ya, bro, your sports series....haha..seems like they can just come to "Thephotoforum" and get loads of photos..haha..
erhh, let's analyse, since uploading to CS means it's accessible to public, would they be allowed to just use your photos without your permission?

Anyway, I am all for to support you:"just sue them la"....quoting from you;p

Haha. You on that forum too? That forum is still not as good as our local clubsnap! Anyway, I've yet to do anything except take screenshots. Hope Csers can advice me. Since I have nothing to do till 7.30 to watch the Korea match, I shall do intensive study on copyright and see if I can find any loophole to milk some cash from them.

chances of getting paid w/o sue-ing would be low.
for CS, if i'm not wrong, only rights to display are given to CS when we post images here (be it linking from flickr or not).
not sure about Thephotoforum. if by posting an image there, gives the forum the right to display, use, distribute etc, then cnngo might have gotten the approval from them.

anyway, the credits on the image, is written by them right? i wonder if that fails under infringment for editing the image? (maybe someone can comment on this)

for now, maybe you can email them in a claim manner about the situation and find out how they obtain the image. and if there is an infringment, either ask them to pay you / remove the image immediately. (sue-ing might not be a good option, unless you are willing to spend the money which might not be covered after compensation if you win the law suit)

all these are just my personal comments and based on some copyright info that I've read.

next time include url to your website in your watermark if u have any. free publicity :bsmilie:

Let us not always jump to a "I'll sue them" mentality immediately.

In this case, just send them a note enquiring what their future intentions are with the photo (whether they will reuse it or if it's a one-time usage thing). I'm not sure if this will classify as non-commercial use, but it looks to me to be under editorial use. If you did not give them the rights to resell, I believe they will not sell it on to their clients or 3rd party affiliates.

You should get a reply reasonably fast.

Last edited:
look on the bright side... now you can claim your photojournalistic works have been used by established news organisations including CNN... ;p

look on the bright side... now you can claim your photojournalistic works have been used by established news organisations including CNN... ;p

Haha yah! Hope this incident can build up a relationship and hopefully more of my images will appear on their web LEAGALLY. But I do prefer if soccernet, football365 or skysports were to use my image. But CNN, not too shabby.

I just emailed them to ask them to credit me properly with my full name and portfolio and flickr. Oh and to tick them off abit.

This is the photo being used

4432303110_67ff9a8282.jpg

OT: this reminds me of the thread about SPH using one of CSer's photo
btw whats the results?

Seriously... if they stole my pic, i will just look up a lawyer and shoot them a letter asking for public apology and $$$$...

Status
Not open for further replies.