Nova DSLR concept reminds us that cameras need not be boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkyboy

Jan 29, 2008
www.flickr.com
From: http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/28/nova-dslr-concept-reminds-us-that-cameras-need-not-be-boring/

Despite the distant memory that is film for most people, most DSLRs have plenty in common with their film-based ancestors, at least when it comes to form factor. Not this Nova DSLR concept. Conceived by Erin Fong, the idea is to allow for all sorts of hand holds thanks to the dual movable arms, and the controls at the fingertips seems surprisingly convenient. We're sure there are all sorts of technical limitations holding something like this back, but after suffering severe kitted-out DSLR fatigue on multiple occasions, we could really get into something that makes a bit better use of how we regularly hold our non-imaging devices. Now if someone would just clean that lens already!

nova-dslr-1.jpg

I am not so sure it will suit me very well..

100 years of evolution of SLR camera ergonomics can't be that wrong right? ;)

Looks a camera designed by a non-photographer or a designer trying to 'solve' the wrong problems. :sweat:

I much rather have a bigger form factor like a 'rifle-butt-thingie' to add shoulder support to help shoot handheld at lower shutter speeds than a smaller form factor with the centre of gravity high up that will be probably be quite unstable to hold. IMO, if the design is aimed to make shooting for long periods tiring, it would be better to reference professional video cameras that are bigger, heavier and operated for longer time frames than cameras.

Edit: Mmm... Maybe the small form factor will sell a few dslrs to non-dslr users so its not all that bad...

Last edited:
I can see it now... the next wave of "What bag to fit my cam + 2 lenses" questions...

I can see it now... the next wave of "What bag to fit my cam + 2 lenses" questions...

time to start a universal template: ntuc plastic bag fits all, if not enough space, get more ntuc plastic bag

double handed operation? no thanks.

Not only two-handed, but rather two-winged. Chicken wing syndrome already in landscape orientation. The buttons are facing away from the photographer. The position of the strap rings seems to be the secret of the designer ...

Please don't re-design the wheel....... :sweat:

what happens when u've got a big lens attached =\
no offence.. but the design looks quite.... "s****d"

nova dslr blue sky concept is done by some arm-chair based designer who is not a pro photographer,

thus, the crap churned out, has zero positive increment on usability ...

for crap like that, just go to nus or temasek design school,

all the non user friendly products are easily churned out by students who care more about form, than fusing form with function...

I doubt the design. It's like those concept cars with a bubble canopy and no steel/aluminium support structure. Once crash, 100% fatality....

Shooting with the "thing" looks clumsier than the usual ..
yea fix a 70-200mm and see how to hold..

eee? no tripod mount? i do wonder how this thing looks like on tripod... i could imagine if this thing mounted on tripod must be creeping out a lot people... ;p

frankly, i think the most practical one would be a hover-craft-like DSLR... can float and level on its own... needs no tripod... but require at least 2kg of battery... ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.