Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

surrephoto

Jan 14, 2009
Chinatown
www.surrephoto.com
Hi guys.

Had salmon twice recently at home and noticed that the flesh and juices are more "metallic" than usual.

Last time salmon used to taste sweeter and cleaner. Infact the metallic taste is still lingering on my tongue since my lunch and hour ago.

Is this a sign of bad fish or high levels of metal toxicity?

Or i'm imagining things?

It is said that Farmed Salmon taste difference from wild caught Salmon... not sure if its true, but could explain why you find it difference in taste... :think:

Hi guys.

Had salmon twice recently at home and noticed that the flesh and juices are more "metallic" than usual.

Last time salmon used to taste sweeter and cleaner. Infact the metallic taste is still lingering on my tongue since my lunch and hour ago.

Is this a sign of bad fish or high levels of metal toxicity?

Or i'm imagining things?

Did you soak it in salt?

better question.. how do you know how metal taste like ?

May be it is fake Salmon :bsmilie:

Many people cannot tell the differences after the fish was cut into smaller pieces :(

They may be using other type of fish but sell it as Salmon to get a better price.

May be it is fake Salmon :bsmilie:

Many people cannot tell the differences after the fish was cut into smaller pieces :(

They may be using other type of fish but sell it as Salmon to get a better price.

may be they jsut color the white fish and package it like salmon ??

1) By any chance, are you going to falling sick soon? Sometimes when you are feeling sick (or about to), your tastebuds may taste things differently.
2) how was the salmon prepared. Fresh oil or used oil? Many times used oil does contains alot of other residues that give different tastes to food...*in an unpleasant way*
3) If not the above 2, I suspect the source of the fish....

Salmon are getting cheaper bcos they area farmed.

Many years back Patin sold at Malaysia restraurant were priced as follow:

Pond bred 25RM/Kg
River bred 35RM/Kg
River Wild Caught 45RM/Kg

Make your pick.........

1) By any chance, are you going to falling sick soon? Sometimes when you are feeling sick (or about to), your tastebuds may taste things differently.
2) how was the salmon prepared. Fresh oil or used oil? Many times used oil does contains alot of other residues that give different tastes to food...*in an unpleasant way*
3) If not the above 2, I suspect the source of the fish....

Shouldn't be that i'm getting sick. Had the same salmon a few days ago. All from a supermarket called Sh*** Si*** near my place at chinatown. Both have similar "metallic" taste.

It taste abit like a milder version of licking a rusty spoon, not quite as bad really. But the salmon doesn't yet taste bad per say. I've had danish blue cheese which also taste naturally metallic and sharp, but this is a common characteristic of danish blue of course.

My mom cooks with fresh peanut oil. Infact I did taste the oil delibrately from the bottom of the plate and it did not have the metallic taste.

Smoked Salmon?

Smoked salmon is salty & umami. Different taste.

Heavy metals from Fukushima.

Metallic taste may be the chemical used to keep the salmon looking "fresh" after slaughter, keeping in storehouse, long transport from supplier to wholesaler, then to middleman, then to supermarket, long display period in the supermarket before you bought it. In these days of high oil prices, it costs a lot to keep food properly frozen/chilled.
Metallic taste is not natural, of course.

Most likely in your case, it is not Formalin because in Sing, we got strict controls.

Just to let you know, watched a TV documentary of abuse of FORMALIN (formaldehyde) used by some Indonesian hawkers/market meat sellers to keep their food stuffs looking fresh without refrigeration. Some even apply it to their noodles. Someone told me something similar about China too.

FORMALIN is used by undertakers to preserve DEAD BODIES for the wake, before cremation. It is a deadly carcinogen.

This is not fiction. This is real. So look after yourself. See:

http://nutritionfortheworld.wetpaint.com/page/The+Healthiness+of+street+foods+in+Indonesia

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/3/24/nation/10977376&sec=nation

http://www.thedailystar.net/magazine/2007/04/01/sfeature.htm
[Quote from article] Formalin, a toxic chemical, is rampantly used to make old, rotting fish look fresh. [EndQuote]

For those who want to deride the concern over misuse of Formalin in food - it is not funny anymore, if you get the BIG C. Most probably stomach/colorectal cancer.

Last edited:
Just to let you know, watched a TV documentary of abuse of FORMALIN (formaldehyde) used by some Indonesian hawkers/market meat sellers to keep their food stuffs looking fresh without refrigeration. Some even apply it to their noodles. Someone told me something similar about China too.

FORMALIN is used by undertakers to preserve DEAD BODIES for the wake, before cremation. It is a deadly carcinogen.
I also watched a documentary, some South Korean chap poured formaldehyde down the drain and years later a giant aquatic creature start terrorising the city.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. So much for civic consciousness.

I also watched a documentary, some South Korean chap poured formaldehyde down the drain and years later a giant aquatic creature start terrorising the city.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. So much for civic consciousness.

In that story , it was a (US) scientist ordering the unwilling South Korean chappie to pour the fomaldehyde ( cynically reminding everyone of a real fomaldehyde incident in 2000 at the Han river .. )