Nothing Like a Cold Bath on a Hot Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

quikwhitefox

Sep 28, 2006
North, Singapore
4178134639_b53f53709f_b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like to know if my B&W processing can be considered 'good' in terms of the contrast, brightness etc. Is the DOF and cropping sufficient?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I wanted to 'freeze' the action of the kids taking a jump into the river on a hot day... there's not much to show that it is really a hot day but I wanted to capture the excitement of the moment just before everyone hits the water...

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This was taken in the Mengwi province of Bali on a 50D + 15-55mm f2.8I.S. I used ISO100 f4.0 at 1/500.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I really like this picture because of the interaction I had with the kids before and after the shot and I think it really captures the excitement and anticipation. I want to see if there is anyway I can improve this picture to keep =D

Thanks for your comments and criticisms! =D

it's still dull n flat, and has a lot of highlight headroom left, and i think there're too many points of interests, if you split this picture into 2, it actually works better in telling your intended story..:)

emotion of children and moment you captured are very nice:)
IMO you should try Dodge,Burn,Level and Noise in order to get better impact for your BW..

Nice and dramatic! :thumbsup:

There are so many activities in the photo that it makes me move from one boy to another.

Ok, I fooled around with your pict and made sure, before I post my comment on the B/W processing. There is not enough 'pop' in the B/W. You can move the levels slider a bit more for the brightness level. Also add an 'S' in curves should do the trick.

As for composition, its nice and all, but moving closer to the right most boy might have given a bit more impact. But as things are, its always easy to nit pick after the fact ;)
so to me GREAT! photo

I can feel the energy in this image, very good feeling to be able to come in contact with the locals like this. Good job!
Its already a winner for me, you just buckle up on the B/W post production and tighter crop to enhance it.

Personally, I find the tilt a little too much. Though I can understand probably why you did so, maybe to remove certain subjects in the photo that may be distracting but it is not really adding to the image in this case.

There is also too much space on the left hand side. The entire seems unbalanced in terms of composition (that may not be bad), but it feels uncomfortable to me. Probably cropping the photo to make it tighter may yield a better outcome.

There is a lack of impact due to the dull, flat lighting. The lighting at that time could be as such but the photo can be made better through post processing, such as increasing contrast as stated.

Overall, I find the photo an excellent shot, taken at the right moment, though composition can be improved and photo can be post-processed to give greater impact.

this one has lots of potential.
1)a tighter crop will bring more focus to the subjects.
2) instead of 100% black and white ts could mask the people, leave them out of the B&W.. that would be more impactful

This is a wonderful photo and has lots of potential! Love the way the kids play. Like the rest of the folks who commented, I would suggest a tighter crop, a little adjustment on the level and a border to present you photo. Here's what I did. (Let me know if you want me to take this down.)

4187355602_6df1ebdc34_o.jpg

on a curious note...the boys jump into a drain? drain dont seemed deep...such jumps wont have concussion? lol

Thanks for all the comments!

Hurmm.. yes yes I have much to do with my B&W processing... I'll try to work on the cropping and the contrast more =D

Btw.. the irrigation damn was kinda deep.. about 1.5m, that's why one of the boys in the pic is standing with only his head showing =D

Cannot pick....we cannot do this type of shot down here, no matter how well we can process the end result. But this type of opportunity are abundant during the 60s.

Of course there exist some flaws. Supposed to have taken more shots, or this is the only one ?

Last edited:
Setting is great but the photo is a bit messy, also the tilt is awkward.....

tighter crops works better. what with the circular orientation of the focus points. may i suggest a square cropping?

it is a fun and happy picture but that's about it. i will click on next picture...simply because i am not engaged.

composition - i would crop away the left side and focus on the activities on the right side.
contrast - flat. not enough contrast. is there a reason why you used black and white?

i liked the slightly cropped version better and I think you did well to capture the 3 very different 'moments' within this scene

I like that you used BW to render this image..... kind of filters out the other distractions (the crop helped in that area too)

The tilt...... a little severe which a touch of rotation might help but it adds to the 'zanieness' and atmosphere

Congratulations for coming across such a great situation :thumbsup:

Sorry Mod,

seems to be off topic, but sometimes certain thread couldn't be start without a leading photo like this...

am wondering, shoud this scene be found during a paid outdoor model shoot...would those photogs rush over to shoot this bunch of boys or continue to shoot the model as if nothing had happened.

Delete or move at your wish.

kekeke :) ..... these 'distractions' do occur ..... and have occured before ..... and there is nothing wrong .... depends on the photog (they have to make a judgement call)

maybe the model might feel a little paiseh that she's being upstaged by a bunch of kids splashing around in a storm drain :bsmilie:

BUT NEVER IF the photog is on a paid assignment (he got job to do)

If I saw this scene during a casual shoot, would drop everything and do this scene above

lets move back to the TS's image of discussion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.